SAFETY ADVISOR ASSISTANT
SAFETY ADVISOR ASSISTANT
INSO (SOMALILAND, HARGEISA)
CLOSING DATE: 20TH DECEMBER 2018
Founded in 2011, the International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO) is a British charity that supports the safety of aid workers by establishing safety coordination platforms in insecure contexts. INSO provides registered NGOs with a range of free services including real-time incident tracking, analytical reports, safety related data and mapping, crisis management support, staff orientations and training.
INSO supports NGOs with their day-to-day risk management responsibilities and improve their overall situational awareness to support evidence-based humanitarian access decisions.
The organisation has grown from innovative start-up to become a globally recognized charity and a valuable component of the humanitarian safety coordination system.
Today the organisation provides daily support to more than 850 NGOs in eleven of the world’s most insecure countries and has earned a strong reputation for performance, principles & professionalism.
INSO Somalia/Somaliland Country Office
INSO Somalia seeks to address the growing challenges of safety in the NGO community in Somalia/Somaliland through the provision of specialized, coordinated and focused safety management support. It recognizes the insecure operating environment all NGOs face in Somalia/Somaliland and the collective value of enhancing safety preparedness and support. The project provides the NGO community with its own safety focal point and tailored safety support services through 3 main services: Research & Analysis (provision of regular reports, safety risk assessments and briefings); Capacity building (provision of various trainings); and Response (provision of support to crisis management in response to critical incidents).
We are seeking a qualified and experienced individual to join our team as SAFETY ADVISOR ASSISTANT to be based Hargeisa, Somaliland.
Reporting to the Safety Advisor (SA), the Safety Advisor Assistant (SAA) will in close collaboration with the Safety Advisorwill collect and verify safety information, deliver INSO Services, among other duties that may be assigned.
- Collection and Verification of Safety Information
- Assist in collection and verification of safety information on incidents as requested by the SA or DSA;
- Travel to districts to collect information and develop new contacts with NGOs, the UN, Local Authorities, and other entities to obtain relevant contextual information for use by INSO
- Under the guidance of the SA and DSA, contribute to writing Alerts and Reports and participate to INSO round tables in an acceptable and appropriate manner as per the INSO standards.
- Verify information with multiple sources and ensure proper questioning to ensure its accuracy
- Networking with NGOs in the Region
- Maintain accurate records of visitors in the office and make follow ups where necessary
- Delivery of INSO Services
- Verification of Initial incidents
- Verification of INSO Alerts
- Verification of INSO reports
- Compile and prepare regional weekly incident lists by 1000hrs every Monday.
- Announcing and Scheduling of INSO Round Tables
- Observe and maintain confidentiality and safety of any documentation or procedures as outlined by INSO;
- Observe and maintain confidentiality and safety of all NGO information;
- Only Somaliland Nationals
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Political Sciences, History, Anthropology, Social Sciences or any other equivalent qualification.
- 2 to 3 years of work experience in positions requiring high level information sourcing, processing, analysis and writing on safety or any other related work
- Excellent oral and written skills in English as well as Somali
- Excellent understanding of approach to safety
- Ability to relate and network with key stakeholders in Somaliland
- Excellent computer skills
Key Personal Competencies
- Excellent organizational skills and prioritization of work
- High level of confidentiality and Integrity
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skill
- Computer Skills
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment
- Excellent analytical skills
- Team Player
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send the below firstname.lastname@example.org with INSO- SAFETY ADVISOR ASSITANT- HARGEISAin the subject line of your email.
- Cover letter specifying how you meet the mandatory requirements, your motivation in applying and what you hope to bring to INSO (1-page maximum).
- An updated CV (one page maximum)
- One writing sample of analytical previously undertaken
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
- Please do not send any additional information (certificates, other writing samples, etc.) and keep the total size of your application under 2MB if possible.
- INSO does not accept or request for payment for any job
INSO is an Equal Opportunity employer