SCOPE OF WORK Chief Design / CAD Engineer
Transition Initiatives for Stabilization Plus – TIS+
SCOPE OF WORK
Chief Design / CAD Engineer
AECOM is implementing the TIS+ Project to promote good governance and community cohesion. The objectives of this contract are to: 1) Increase confidence in governance based on equitable participation in decision-making and management of community assets, 2) Empower community and government representatives to engage with the private sector and development actors in a collaborative process for community growth, 3) Increase Somali engagement in creating a more stable future and 4) Support inclusive, sustainable development by reducing gender gaps in stabilization and development.
The TIS+ program plans to expand implementation of in-kind activities across Somalia including, a focus on Objective 2 Bridging plan which is related to infrastructure projects in Kismayo, Erigavo, Las Anod, Bardhere, Dinsoor, Barawe, Walawayn & Banadir, and thus intends to enhance the capacity of the State government counterparts in those regions. This will be addressed by recruiting support staff to help the awardees oversee and support more effective and efficient implementation of the agreed in kind initiatives. The Design / CAD Engineer will be the technical resource, for the project, and the regional and federal authorities in all the areas related to, technical and programmatic, road construction under the TIS+ portfolio and the bridging plans. The incumbent will be responsible for building the capacity of the government counterparts in road engineering and associated, community-based, processes. In general, the Design / CAD Engineer will be responsible for ensuring that the infrastructure works carried out are in line with the overall, and specific, objectives of the project.
The TIS+ RAMP UP project
The Chief Design/CAD Engineer will be responsible for the design engineering function on TIS+ Infrastructure Projects.
The Chief Design/CAD Engineer is responsible for ensuring engineering and construction designs are produced according to project deadlines. S/he will put in place policies and procedures to ensure that all infrastructure actions are compliant with national and international engineering and building norms, FAR and AIDAR regulations.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- S/he will be in charge of the managing the infrastructure design interventions in the different project locations, while closely coordinating on the technical and legislative support, with the Somalian Agencies at federal and regional levels. Coordination and communication with other project support staff as well as local stakeholders in Somalia, including government, civil society, and the private sector. Support field visits as necessary;
- S/he will supervise, and/or develop, the Scope of Works, Bills of Quantity, Work Plans (Schedule) , and Technical Specifications, as well as provide information regarding local material, labor, and transport markets of the road engineering portfolio in compliance with required ERF/ERRs and EMMPs and other environmental compliance documentation;
- Develop and supervise the design process for all infrastructure related projects;
- Evaluate and supervise sub project designs put forth by engineering teams;
- Conduct site visits for monitoring and evaluation of all infrastructure subprojects;
- Build the capacity of CAD/Design engineers through on the job training and mentorship activities;
- Contribute to the reporting process;
- Lead and mentor AutoCAD designers to increase engineering efforts if needed;
- Create and produce AutoCAD drawings(2D and 3D) for all AutoCAD tasks;
- S/he will be responsible for the capacity building to the CAD/Design Engineers. Train, equip, and mentor all CAD/Design engineers on skill sets and standard drawing creations;
- Delegate CAD tasks to other team’s AutoCAD designers;
- S/he will be providing the technical inputs to local consultations and communications;
- Timely, reliable, and accurate reporting of implementation progress and community engagement including logbooks and time stamped, GPS database photographs.
- Support the Monitoring and Evaluation Officer with updates as requested.
Transition Initiatives for Stabilization Plus – TIS+
- Providing substantive technical inputs in bid analysis on RFPs and RFQs;
- Responsible for identifying risks and recommending mitigating measures;
- Carry out other tasks assigned by the related manager.
The successful candidate must have the following qualifications:
- 4 Year University degree in Civil Engineering/Road Construction Management or relevant field.
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to work with women and women’s groups, and encourage their participation in discussions, activities, and decision-making.
- Highly organized, flexible, and able to meet deadlines.
- Ability to issue dependable, accurate reports on a timely basis.
- Ability to work and problem solve independently.
- Proven strong skills in communication and project management
- Strong command of business level written and spoken English
- Strong interpersonal skills and team-work attitude, preferably in a multicultural environment
- IT literacy (Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, MS Project) and proven proficiency in Civil Cut is an asset
General Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience include procurement of goods and services using procurement procedures of development agencies, and overall quality assurance of construction works carried out by local construction companies Familiarity with contract- and claim management under FIDIC Conditions of Contract inclusive of certification contractor’s payment statements and monitoring of contract expenditures
- Experience in coordinating a team composed of regional and local technical specialists Specific professional experience:
- Experience in capacity development programmes
- Experience in labor-intensive road construction is highly desirable
- Knowledge (work or research) of the Somali socioeconomic, political and legal framework is an asset
- Professional level of written and verbal English and Somali languages.
- Work experience in the infrastructure field, preferably with international donor-funded projects, UN agencies or NGO’s on relevant programs in Somalia preferred.
TIS+ Engineering Director and Senior Program Engineer
Mogadishu, Somalia with significant travel within Somalia.
Application Procedure: Interested Candidates must submit their applications via https://aecomtisplus.formstack.com/forms/chief_design_cad_engineer by latest Tuesday 16 October 2018