SOMALIA STRENGTHENING INSTITUTIONS FOR PUBLIC WORKS PROJECT
Terms of Reference
|Position Title:||Senior Engineer|
|Reporting to:||Director Construction/DG|
|Duration:||20 months (depending on continued budget availability and need for the position as well as satisfactory or better performance evaluations)|
|Duty Station:||Ministry of Public Works, Reconstruction and Housing (MPWR&H South West State Somalia)|
Somalia Strengthening Institutions for Public Works Project (SSIPWP)
The SSIPWP project is the centre piece for building the capacity of the Federal Ministry of Public Works, Reconstruction and Housing (MPWR&H) and the recently established state-level Ministries and the Banadir Regional Administration (BRA) by developing more effective, efficient, inclusive and accountable institutions for public works and infrastructure.
The SSIPWP project is funded by the African Development Fund (ADF) and the Transition Support Facility (TSF) of the African Development Bank (AfDB) and implemented through a Tripartite Protocol Agreement between the Somalia Federal Government, African Development Fund and the United Nations Office for Project Service (UNOPS).
The purpose of the SSIPWP project is improve the capacities of MPWR&H, State-Level Ministries and BRA responsible for public works to enable them independently plan, manage and oversee infrastructure construction projects and maintenance of public works (Project Appraisal Report, 2016).
Purpose of the position
- Projects that senior engineers work on can vary significantly, from researching, developing and designing construction within the country to improve designing services.
Scope of services
- Conducting statistical research and analysis to improve city plans and Maintaining updated performance reports on a weekly basis.
Duties and Responsibilities, include, but are not limited to:
- Supervises, trains, and evaluates Civil Engineers and Public Works/Engineering GIS staff; assists in hiring, evaluating, and disciplining employees.
- Conducts construction inspections, reviews and approves contractor pay requests; reviews and processes construction change orders.
- Prepares legal descriptions, documents, and draft agreements for ministry.
- Adapt at working well independently or as a member of a senior engineering team.
- Strongly mindful of and knowledgeable about all relevant safety standards pertaining to engineering materials and procedures
- Designing and implementing cost-effective equipment modifications to help improve safety and reliability within buildings constructed within and outside the city.
- Developing a project specification with colleagues, often including those from other engineering disciplines
- Developing, testing and evaluating theoretical designs
- Discussing and solving complex problems with other related departments, sub-contractors, suppliers and customers
- Managing projects using engineering principles and techniques
- Planning and designing modern engineering design for the city
- Producing details of specifications and outline designs
- Recommending modifications following prototype test results
- Using research, analytical, conceptual and planning skills, particularly mathematical modelling and computer-aided design
- Considering the implications of issues such as cost, safety and time constraints
- working with other Engineers, within and outside the engineering sector
- Monitoring and commissioning plant and systems.
- Any other periodic and ad-hoc tasks/ duties as requested by the line managers.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Minimum bachelor’s degree in civil engineering with six (6) years of experience in surveying, engineering design, inspection and drafting, two (2) of which must include supervisory responsibilities OR any equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must have a valid Utah Driver’s License; Professional Engineer License required; AutoCAD experience required; GIS/ARCINFO desired. Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Working knowledge of civil engineering and engineering design; working knowledge of drafting, working knowledge of public works construction; working knowledge of computer aided drafting systems.
- Skill in operating drafting and survey equipment.
- Ability to operate personal computer, digitizer, plotters, and related GIS equipment; ability to design and develop relational databases; ability to instruct others in the operation and use of engineering software.
- Ability to direct the work of others; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other divisions and the public;
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions;
- Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing.
- Interested Somali candidates who meet the criteria above are encouraged to send their application letters and detailed CVs including contact information for at least two work-related supervisors as referees to email@example.com , Closing date by 25thMay 2019 @5:00pm.Kindly indicate “Senior Engineer MPWRH Southwest state Somalia & VA-no: 0090/19” on the subject line when applying.
- Qualified Female candidates is highly encouraged to apply.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.