Senior Finance Officer
[Senior Finance Officer]
Fulltime/ 40 hours a week
Based in Hargeisa, Somaliland with frequency travel to the field
Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty.
That means we tackle the inequality that keeps people poor. Together we save, protect and rebuild lives. When disaster strikes, we help people build better lives for themselves, and for others. We take on issues like land rights, climate change and discrimination against women. And we won’t stop until every person on the planet can enjoy life free from poverty.
We are an international confederation of 19 organizations (affiliates) working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian, development and campaigning, in more than 90 countries.
All our work is led by three core values: Empowerment, Accountability, Inclusiveness. To read more about our values please click here.
Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behavior at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults. Oxfam expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
Note: All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and may be subject to appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks.
To manage the delivery of all financial management activities and requirements to support business service.
The purpose of the job is to provide an efficient and effective professional financial service to the organization and ensure accountability and efficient use of resources, compliance with Oxfam, donor and statutory obligations for sound financial management are met and maintained and achievement of the financial and operational objectives of the Somalia program. This includes advisory and consultative function that ensures an effective, efficient and responsive financial support service to the Business Partners and the Departments. Ensure accuracy and integrity of the reports and to sub- guarantee financial management.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Prepare and revise (if applicable) project budgets and cash projections for externally funded projects in conformity with project activity plans by Oxfam Novib The Hague office, County office and local partner organisations.
- Verify and monitor the project expenses reports, declarations and reconciliations of Oxfam Novib and implementing partners on accuracy, efficiency and eligibility and other Oxfam and donor guidelines; decide on cost allocation to the correct budget; request corrections where needed;
- Monitor spending per budget line and performance at overall project level, revise where necessary and possible the (financial) planning. Report on overruns, deviations and such, and make proposals to the programme leader for the financing expenses within the approved project budget.
- Ensure that all project supporting documentation is complete and sufficient to justify the purpose of the expenditures according to Oxfam and partner guidelines.
- Coordinate with the HQ for uploading records to the SAP and Adobe software and clarify any questions the Country Office might have.
- Provide the CO management, donors and The Hague with quality consolidated financial project reports including variance analysis with all necessary supporting documentation attached.
- Review contracts to be signed with partner organizations and vendors and ensure compliance with Oxfam financial and procurement requirements as well as correspondence with relevant budget line. Ensure all necessary annexes, including templates for financial reporting, are included
- Review payments and project staff cash float settlements, and ascertain that budget line allocation reflect the donor line items coding restrictions
- Review all expenditure reports of Oxfam implementing partners. Maintains and controls expenses (Actuals) versus budget and cash reconciliation reports for partner organizations
- Establish & maintain a system of internal controls which comply with Oxfam and donor financial guidelines
- Ensure that all financial documentation and supporting documents is compiled timely and accurately and in line with accounting standards and donor regulations
- Update project cash flow on a monthly basis and ensure sufficient cash flow to meet current and immediate future project obligations for both the partners and Country office.
Partner Management and Capacity Building:
- Support the development and implementation of a detailed plan for building the business services capacity of partner organisations, specifically relating to financial and funding management procedures. This will include needs assessment, capacity building approach and delivery plan including tools and methodologies, performance standards, and evaluation approach
- Undertake personal training, coaching and capacity building to partner organisations to develop their own expertise as required. Ensure that partner organisations work in accordance with Oxfam acceptable standards and objectives
- Support the conduct of regular performance assessments and reviews of partner organisations, including planning and coordination of external & Internal Oxfam audits, to ensure that donor and statutory audit requirements are met and that the capacity building programme is delivering agreed results, making necessary adjustments as circumstances change
- Participate in regular meetings with partner organisations to ensure that the working relationship between them and Oxfam is positive, open and conducive to the successful achievement of agreed objectives
- Ensure that partner organizations’ project accounting is correct and that all supporting documents are in place and meet necessary standards
Technical Skills, Experience & Knowledge
- Relevant academic qualifications in financial management, project management, accounting, business administration or related field
- Significant knowledge and experience of all core financial management activities, including accounts payable, cash management, budget development, statutory requirements (standard accounts)
- Good knowledge and experience of managing donor grants or donor funded programmes
- Strong numeracy skills and experience using a computerised financial management information system and good computer skills (Excel especially, Word)
- Experience in independent financial planning, budgeting, reporting, project audits, risk management and ability to evaluate these against the donor requirements and local tax/legal regulations
- A critical focus on providing a superior service level to managers and staff and delivering agreed results within time and budget constraints and to expected standards
- Good organisational and personal management skills, with ability to prioritise work issues to meet deadlines with minimal supervision and adjust to constantly changing situations while maintaining focus on delivery and follow-through
- Good analytical and conceptual thinking skills with a proven proactive approach to identifying and resolving problems and suggesting improvements that continuously seek to provide a better service to Oxfam. Strong attention to detail
- Excellent personal communication skills, in written and verbal English
- Ability to represent Oxfam in a professional and competent manner with external individuals and organisations
- Proven experience working with partner organisations and helping them develop their independent expertise and ability to deliver results, through effective capacity building and learning and development activities
- A high level of self-awareness, personal energy, stamina and flexibility. Ability to work creatively, effectively and under own initiative
- Proven experience as a team worker and demonstrably cooperative with members of other teams, responding quickly and accurately to queries and issues
- Experience with external funded projects
- High level of integrity and accountability
- Commitment to Oxfam’s overall aims and policies and experience of promoting women’s rights and the interests of marginalized people in all aspects of Oxfam’s work
- Demonstrated understanding of International financial reporting standards and Oxfam’s International structure and operating model.
- Financial management skills.
Please apply the position by clicking the Apply button. Application Deadline on 22nd May 2019, However, applications will be shortlisted as we receive it and interviews will be carried out if necessary, before the end date. Therefore, qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible and before the deadline. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.