Senior Fisheries Expert – MoLFD
|Invitation for Applications|
|Project Holder||Ministry of Livestock and Fisheries Development|
|Project||Artisanal Fisheries Project, Sanaag region|
|Fund||Somaliland Development Fund Phase 2|
|IFA Title||Senior Fisheries Expert|
The Somaliland Development Fund – Phase 2 (SDF2) covers the period 2018-2023. SDF2 is conceived as an inclusive economic development programme. It supports the GoSL in delivering infrastructure that is relevant for inclusive economic development. It focuses on sustainable investments that spur job creation and fast growth, while at the same time laying the foundation for long-term resilience and development, leading to a more stable and peaceful Somaliland. SDF2’s support is fully aligned with government priorities as defined in the National Development Plan 2 (NDP2) 2017-2021 and reflect the priorities set out in Somaliland Vision 2030.
The first phase of SDF1 supported a fisheries project which sought to address some of the existing challenges by providing storage facilities and ice making machines as well as providing skills to the existing but weak fishermen. As part of SDF2, a jetty will be constructed in Maydh with aim to improve sea transport infrastructure in the area. The Ministry of Livestock and Fisheries Development (MoLFD) has developed a Project Concept Note for a fisheries project. The proposed project seeks to enhance the value chain by strengthening the cooling and cold storage systems, improving transport through provision of refrigerated trucks and building fish markets. The proposed project contributes to the development of fisheries as one of the nine economic sectors of its Economic Pillar.
The SDF Secretariat is therefore seeking the services of a Senior Fisheries Short-Term Expert (STE) to support the MoLFD in conducting the necessary preliminary consultations, assessments and development of a full project proposal.
Required Qualifications, Skills and Experience
Qualifications and skills
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Fisheries Sciences, Marine Resources, Biology (specialized in Aquaculture or Fisheries resources);
- Demonstrated excellent command of spoken and written English; and
- Excellent interpersonal and diplomatic skills.
General professional experience
- Extensive previous experience (minimum 12 years) in implementing fisheries development projects in coastal rural communities in developing countries;
- Proven understanding of Project Cycle Management (PCM), Logical Framework Approach (LFA);
- Demonstrated experience in conducting feasibility appraisal for artisanal fisheries projects; and
- Demonstrated understanding of the contribution of the artisanal fisheries sector to economic development.
Specific professional experience
- At least 8 years’ experience in designing and supervising/managing fisheries development projects in fragile and conflict affected countries;
- Designed and wrote at least one project proposal for the artisal fisheries sector in the last three years; and
- Demonstrated understanding of the fisheries value chain for rural coastal communities.
How to apply
Interested candidates should send their application (cover letter and CV) to the Somaliland Development Fund Secretariat through e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates should indicate in their cover letter how they fit the criteria outlined in the advert. All applications must be received by 27 April 2019 at 1600hrs East African Standard Time. Applicants should clearly indicate the position they are applying for in the email subject line. Full Terms of Reference can be accessed on the SDF website through the link https://www.somalilanddevelopmentfund.org/opportunities-open
Any attempt by a candidate to influence the outcome of the recruitment process in any way which can be interpreted as canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification from being considered for this position.
This Consultancy is open to Somaliland and International Candidates.
Women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.