Senior Information Communication Technology Associate
Batch Recruitment – Senior Info. Communication Technology Associate, GS-7 (2 posts – Telecoms), Mog CO Post #105545, Mog CSR Post #105564
Job no: 512980
Position type: Fixed Term Staff
Division/Equivalent: Nairobi Regn’l(ESARO)
Department/Office: Mogadiscio, Somalia
Categories: Support: Operations
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children’s rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential to the benefit of a better world.
The fundamental mission of UNICEF is to promote the rights of every child, everywhere, in everything the organization does in programs, in advocacy and in operations. The equity strategy, emphasizing the most disadvantaged and excluded children and families, translates this commitment to children’s rights into action. For UNICEF, equity means that all children have an opportunity to survive, develop and reach their full potential, without discrimination, bias or favoritism.
For every child, Hope
How can you make a difference?
Provide help desk support for IT and telecommunications infrastructure.
Implement emergency telecom operations and staff security networks and integrate them into the UNICEF Global Private Network.
Assist the ICT Manager in discharging telecommunications responsibilities.
Summary of key accountabilities:
1. Provide support to end users in troubleshooting hardware/software problems, introducing new computer applications, installation of hardware and software. Assist in administering computer network, ensure data security and perform daily backup of data.
2. Assist in deployment of UNICEF emergency telecommunications networks and supporting infrastructure. Include radio and satellite communications systems as primary or backup means of communications, power systems and other logistical support required. Ensure reliable, robust and efficient operational communications for UNICEF emergency operations.
3. Maintain inventory of all hardware and software and maintain records of equipment on loan to staffs. Provide first line ICT support during workshops and conference. Review equipment problems, investigate and undertake repair if possible and/or arrange for external vendor support.
4. Provide user support and training in corporate applications such as VISION, Lotus Notes, Office software etc. Implement all UNICEF new rollouts and migration of new systems and orient staff on them.
5. Provide direct support to zone office in MOSS compliance in telecom; coordinate with UNDSS and Regional Telecom Officer on emergency communications support and minimum field security communications standards, for the safety and security of UNICEF staff.
6. Design, implement and coordinate office emergency response capacity for communications, including management of a stock of equipment.
7. Maintain and update call signs of all staff members and office base and mobile radio system.
8. Any other duties assigned by supervisor.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
Completion of secondary school is required. University degree in Information Technology, Telecommunications, or related field, as below:
Theoretical foundations of computer science, with practical applications of telecommunications and development of voice and data systems.
Specialised training in telecommunications technology, management and policy with up-to-date coverage of the issues and trends.
Training in: management information systems; data communications and networks, computer networking, telecommunications management, telecommunications policy and environment.
Seven years of experience in ICT related field. Two years relevant work experience in voice and data communications hardware and software, particularly in the context of wireless and emergency telecommunications and networking.
Knowledge and experience of field security and emergency and wireless communications is highly desirable.
Experience in planning and/or supporting the physical technical environment necessary for a field office to function.
Fluency in English and Local Language.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Advertised: May 10 2018 E. Africa Standard Time
Application close: May 23 2018 E. Africa Standard Time