Senior Project Assistant – Durable Solutions
Vacancy No. : IOM-SVN/0007/2019
Position Title : Senior Project Assistant – Durable Solutions
Duty Station : Jijiga, Ethiopia
Classification : G-6
Type of Appointment : SVN, Six months with possibility of extension
SVN, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : April 16, 2019
Organizational Context and Scope
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Context and Scope of the Position
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) Special Liaison Office (SLO) in Addis Ababa is looking for a qualified candidate to fill the position of Durable Solution Senior Assistant for Somali Regional State of Ethiopia, Jijiga, to assist the process and coordination of the durable solution for internally displaced persons in the region. The incumbent will be under the general supervision of the EPC Program Coordinator and direct technical supervision of the Emergency and Post Crisis (EPC) National Programme Officer.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Support the coordination of the Durable Solution Working Group (DSWG) regular and ad-hoc meetings in close collaboration with the regional Disaster Prevention and Preparedness Bureau (DPPB)
2. Support the Transition, Recovery and Durable Solutions activities in planning and organizing DSWGs in Somali region
3. Support and facilitate timely information sharing among the DSWG members through meetings, follow up and assistance
4. Identify and work with relevant regional agencies included in the working groups; liaise with stakeholders and suggest mechanisms for improved participation including with local government officials and other humanitarian and development actors in the regions
5. In close coordination and consultation with regional DPPB, prepare agendas, set schedules, facilitate participation of DSWG members on a regular basis, convene meetings and follow up on implementation of action points
6. Support the coordination of the regional intention survey, focus group discussions and village mapping activities
7. Support the data entry and analysis of intention survey, focus group discussions and village mapping exercise in Somali region
8. Assist in conducting capacity building training for members of the DSWGs in Somali region and support IOM’s technical assistance to the existing Somali DSWG if requested
9. Assist in exploring opportunities and relevant activities in furthering and strengthening the durable solutions initiatives to better support IDPs in a protracted internal displacement situation in the region
10. Co-chair the DSWG meetings and manage communications related to operations of the working groups
11. Assist the TRD’s efforts in maintaining close and constructive working relationships between IOM SLO and DSWGs;
12. Provide periodic information updates and reports on progresses, challenges, and lessons on the durable solutions initiative in the region to the head of sub-office and the technical supervisors
13. Document good practices and experiences, and provide inputs on project information and documentation (including human interest stories, photos, articles, etc); maintain up to date records of information of all project beneficiaries for follow ups and reporting
14. Provide information and facilitate meetings and field visits to the Durable Solution support team including the durable solutions consultant
15. Provide inputs into the TRD’s future planning and organization of a national durable solutions coordination mechanism based on lessons learnt from his/her experiences of launching and co-chairing the regional forums
16. Perform other related duties as may be required
· University degree in Social Sciences, preferably political science, business management, sociology, social work and other related fields from an accredited academic institution;
· Minimum 6 years of relevant experience in the humanitarian assistance or development context
· Research experience in the field of population studies and IDPs in the country, including field experience in survey coordination and implementation;
· Practical field experience related to interventions and humanitarian support to displaced populations and implementation of emergency and early recovery activities.
· Proven experience in working and liaising with government officials and local communities
· Experience in conducting interviews
Thorough knowledge of spoken and written English and Amharic
Knowledge of local languages is advantageous
Values and Competencies
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
Inclusion & respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
Integrity & transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Leadership: Provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision. Assists others to realize and develop their potential.
Empowering others & building trust: Creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
Strategic thinking & vision: Works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to Apply
Interested candidates are invited to submit their application/ motivation letter enclosed with only detail CV written in English via our e-mail address to RECADDIS@IOM.INT, by April 16, 2019 at the latest, referring to the position title and Vacancy number in the subject line of your email; no photocopies of educational/training certificates is required at this stage; applicant who doesn’t follow the required application procedure will automatically be disqualified from the competition.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We strongly encourage qualified women to apply!