Senior Roads and Bridges Expert – MoTRD
|Invitation for Applications|
|Project Holder||Ministry of Transportation and Road Development|
|Project||Burao – Sheikh – Berbera Road Rehabilitation|
|Fund||Somaliland Development Fund Phase 2|
|IFA Title||Senior Roads and Bridges Expert|
The Somaliland Development Fund – Phase 2 (SDF2) covers the period 2018-2023. SDF2 is conceived as an inclusive economic development programme. It supports the GoSL in delivering infrastructure that is relevant for inclusive economic development. It focuses on sustainable investments that spur job creation and fast growth, while at the same time laying the foundation for long-term resilience and development, leading to a more stable and peaceful Somaliland. SDF2’s support is fully aligned with government priorities as defined in the National Development Plan 2 (NDP2) 2017-2021 and reflect the priorities set out in Somaliland Vision 2030.
The Ministry of Transport and Road Development (MoTRD) has developed a Project Concept Note. The proposed project seeks to rehabilitate 82 km of the Burao – Sheikh – Berbera road section that connects the Somaliland cities of Burao, Sheikh and Berbera including five bridges. This proposed section partially addresses the Roads Development Agency (RDA) 2019 plan to renovate the Berbera-Las’anod stretch, which connects the Eastern regions to the port city and the country to neighbouring Somalia. The people of Somaliland rely heavily on imports from the Asian Peninsula countries thus making this road stretch a lifeline to the entire nation. Part of Somalia relies heavily on the port of Berbera for its exports and imports which use this road section.
The SDF2 Secretariat is therefore seeking the services of a Senior Roads and Bridges Expert Short Term Expert (STE) to support the MoTRD in conducting the necessary preliminary consultations, assessments and development of a full project proposal.
Required Qualifications, Skills and Experience
Qualifications and skills
- Master’s Degree in Civil Engineering specialised in Road and or Bridges Engineering;
- Demonstrated excellent command of spoken and written English; and
- Excellent interpersonal and diplomatic skills.
General professional experience
- Extensive previous experience (minimum 12 years) in implementing roads rehabilitation projects;
- Registered with a recognised Engineering body;
- Proven understanding of Project Cycle Management (PCM), Logical Framework Approach (LFA);
- Demonstrated experience in conducting feasibility appraisal and design of road rehabilitation projects; and
- Demonstrated understanding of the contribution of the road sector to economic development.
Specific professional experience
- At least 8 years’ experience in designing, formulation and supervising/managing projects related to road development in fragile and conflict affected countries;
- Designed and wrote at least one project proposal for road rehabilitation in the last three years; and
- Conducted at least one feasibility or prefeasibility study for a road rehabilitation project in the last one year.
How to apply
Interested candidates should send their application (cover letter and CV) to the Somaliland Development Fund Secretariat through e-mail email@example.com. Candidates should indicate in their cover letter how they fit the criteria outlined in the advert. All applications must be received by 27 April 2019 at 1600hrs East African Standard Time. Applicants should clearly indicate the position they are applying for in the email subject line. Full Terms of Reference can be accessed on the SDF website through the link https://www.somalilanddevelopmentfund.org/opportunities-open
Any attempt by a candidate to influence the outcome of the recruitment process in any way which can be interpreted as canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification from being considered for this position.
This Consultancy is open to Somaliland and International Candidates.
Women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.