Soil and Water Conservation Expert -MoAD
|Invitation for Applications|
|Project Holder||Ministry of Agricultural Development|
|Project||Sustainable Land Management|
|Fund||Somaliland Development Fund Phase 2|
|IFA Title||Soil and Water Conservation Expert|
The Somaliland Development Fund – Phase 2 (SDF2) covers the period 2018-2023. SDF2 is conceived as an inclusive economic development programme. It supports the GoSL in delivering infrastructure that is relevant for inclusive economic development. It focuses on sustainable investments that spur job creation and fast growth, while at the same time laying the foundation for long-term resilience and development, leading to a more stable and peaceful Somaliland. SDF2’s support is fully aligned with government priorities as defined in the National Development Plan 2 (NDP2) 2017-2021 and reflect the priorities set out in Somaliland Vision 2030.
The Ministry of Agricultural Development (MoAD) has developed a Project Concept Note targeting two agricultural areas in Somaliland located in Awdal and Maroodijeex regions. The proposed project is aimed at improving the agricultural production of small farmers through Soil and Water Conservation, research, extension, farmer training and the supply of farm inputs. Lack of these interventions will increase the land degradation and poor crop production which can result in a decrease in crop production and food insecurity in general.
The SDF Secretariat is therefore seeking the services of a Soil and Water Conservation Short-Term Expert (STE) to work as part of a team led by a Senior Agricultural Production Expert. The third member of the team is a National Civil Engineer. Under the leadership of the Senior Agricultural Production Expert, the team will be responsible for supporting the MoAD in conducting necessary preliminary consultations, assessments and development of a full project proposal.
Required Qualifications, Skills and Experience
Qualifications and skills
- Master’s Degree in Agricultural Engineering, Water Engineering or Range Management, Natural Resources Management;
- Demonstrated excellent command of spoken and written English; and
- Excellent interpersonal and diplomatic skills.
General professional experience
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in implementing soil and water conservation projects in African arid and semi-arid lands; and
- Experience in conducting feasibility appraisal for soil and water conservation projects in African drylands.
Specific professional experience
- At least 8 years’ experience design and implementation of soil and water conservation infrastructures in arid and semi-arid areas. Practical experience in labour intensive community-based implementation will be an added advantage; and
- Conducted at least one similar assignment in the last three years.
How to apply
Interested candidates should send their application (cover letter and CV) to the Somaliland Development Fund Secretariat through e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Candidates should indicate in their cover letter how they fit the criteria outlined in the advert. All applications must be received by 27 April 2019 at 1600hrs East African Standard Time. Applicants should clearly indicate the position they are applying for in the email subject line. Full Terms of Reference can be accessed on the SDF website through the link https://www.somalilanddevelopmentfund.org/opportunities-open
Any attempt by a candidate to influence the outcome of the recruitment process in any way which can be interpreted as canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification from being considered for this position.
This Consultancy is open to Somaliland and International Candidates.
Women candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.