This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
||Somalia Policy and Advocacy Manager
||Hargeisa (with frequent travel to south central Somalia and internationally)
||Somalia Country Director
|§ Somalia Country Director
§ ARC Program Manager
§ Somalia ProgramStaff
§ Global Policy and Advocacy team
§ Somalia HR and Operations Manager
§ Monitoring and Learning Coordinator
§ Saferworld Somalia partners and other Stakeholders
||Open – but subject to programme funding availability
||USD 38,094 to 46,850 Gross Salary Per Year
| About SAFERWORLD
Saferworld is an independent international organisation working to prevent violent conflict and build safer lives. We work with conflict-affected individuals and communities to improve their safety and sense of security. We do this by supporting community members to address the drivers of insecurity in collaboration with local authorities, whilst also supporting effective policies and practices through advocacy, research and policy development, and through supporting the actions of others. We have programmes in around 20 countries and territories across Africa, the Middle East, Asia and Europe and have over 200 staff.
Saferworld has been working in Africa since 1997, with a primary focus upon East Africa and the Horn. We have well-established programmes in Kenya, Uganda, Somalia, Sudan, and South Sudan. In addition, Saferworld supports regional and international conflict prevention and security processes.
In Somalia and Somaliland, Saferworld has been working to promote peace, democratisation and good governance since 2004. In our programmes we support civil society’s involvement, particularly women’s and youth groups, in crucial decision-making processes on peace, security and development. In Somalia and Somaliland, like in other Saferworld programmes, we conduct research and advocacy nationally and internationally to identify drivers of conflict within the Somali region and strategies to address them.
Saferworld has offices in Mogadishu and Hargeisa.
Saferworld’s Strategy 2014-2018 for Somalia/land has three core components.
- Enabling state building, governance and democratisation processes that are participatory, inclusive and accountable at state and federal levels.
- Supporting the provision and implementation of security and justice services that are predicated on the principles of fairness and are accountable, accessible and responsive to the communities they serve.
- To influence the role of external actors to enable participatory, inclusive and accountable governance at state and federal levels.
The Policy and Advocacy Manager is responsible for coordinating research and lead in its analysis as part of efforts to helpSaferworld’s Somalia / Somaliland programme develop and support an advocacy agenda that can further its programme objectives.
Key areas of responsibility
|The Policy and Advocacy Manager’sspecific tasks include:
- Developing impactful change-oriented advocacy strategies
- Leading on the design and coordination of research and analysis from Saferworld’s field-based programmesand other thematic research
- Writing, editing, and quality control of research reports, presentations and other communications
- Serving as the coordinator for local participation in sub-nationaland national policy initiatives
- Coordinating and representing Saferworld at the NGO Consortium and other relevant advocacy forums
- Tracking local, regional and national legislative and policy issues and developing strategies for influencing them where relevant
- KeepingSaferworld’s Somalia team, global policy and advocacy team, and partners informed of relevant policy and advocacy developments and opportunities
- Coordinating regular internal advocacy and policy meetings,and between partners and Saferworld
- Building relationships with government, donors and other relevant policy makers at various levels
- Event planning, including major events and donor roundtables
- Support for learning and evaluation
- Commitment to and compliance with Saferworld’s safeguarding principles
|Person Specification; education, knowledge,skills and experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, plus seven years of related experience preferred. Master’s degree is an advantage.
- Knowledge and understandingof Somalia’s political, development and security context
- Experience developing and delivering change-oriented advocacy strategiesdemonstrable track record of leading/contributing to and delivering advocacy strategies for policy and practice change’
- Very good understading of cross cutting issues such as gender and conflict sensitivity
- Excellent written and oral communication skills (English and Somali)
- Demonstrated research and report writing experience
- An effective public speaker and facilitator
- Excellent administrative and project management skills, particularly in an environment with competing demands and overlapping projects
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, establish and accomplish priorities when faced with multiple tasks, work with and without deadlines, pay close attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively in coalition and with a wide array of constituencies and personalities
- IT skills – MS Office, social media
- Strong work ethic and commitment to Saferworld’s mission
|Terms & Conditions
|Location: Hargeisa, (with frequent travel to south central Somalia and internationally)
Hours: 37.5 hours per week with additional hours when required
Salary range: USD 38,094 to 46,850 gross per year
Medical insurance: Provided
Holidays: 28 days per year (January-December)
Gratuity:End year bonus equavallent to one month’s salary
Eid Bonus: 50%of themonthly salary for both Eidsper year
Probation: There will be a probationary period of three months
|APPLICATION PROCESSTo apply:Please complete the Saferworld application form and email to Marie Aziz at email@example.com (please use subject heading: Ref: (Somalia Policy and Advocacay Manager)
Deadline for applications: 10th February 2019
|Please do not submit a CV as this will not be considered in place of a completed application form. Only shortlisted candidates to be contacted for interviews.
error: Content is protected !!