Sub Awards Officer
DATE: April 2019
Job title: Sub Awards Officer
Department: Grants and Compliance / Sub Award
Based: Hargeisa or home-based with willingness to travel to other project locations
Reports to: Senior Sub Awards Officer
Who we are
We’re Population Services International (PSI), the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We work to make it easier for people in the developing world to be healthy by providing access to products and services that range from mosquito nets to HIV testing.
There are over 7,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. It’s a diverse group of entrepreneurs and professionals with an unusually wide range of backgrounds – from the medical industry to the music business – all with unique skills we bring to the job.
PSI implements health & nutrition programs in Somaliland and Somalia either directly and/or through partners. The Sub Awards department is responsible for ensuring sound management of the financial resources entrusted with the partners and to ensure that there are effective procedures in place to facilitate internal controls and accountability of grants to these implementing partners.
Sound like You? Read On
The Sub Awards Officer has the responsibility to support partners’ governance and financial management, capacity development efforts, facilitate grant management processes and compliance with donor as well as PSI requirements within the programmes and provide technical support as required.
- Working Closely with the Senior Sub Awards Officer and the Sub Awards Manager
- Prepare monthly grant budget burn rates reports with variances explained so as to assist in budget and expenditure monitoring of the various partners program budgets.
- Review partners financial reports verify the supporting documents and make sure the
- required entries have been fairly charged to PSI projects
- Reconciling sub awards accounts with money advanced to them every quarter
- Update the partner monitoring plans, risk matrices regularly with current information including entering sub awardee compliance with special award conditions
- Monitor sub awardee expenditure against budget, yearly ceilings and obligated amounts
and provide recommendations for budget alignment and obligation increase.
- Coordinate quarterly reporting process from sub awardees and review financial reports, interrogating these to ensure that costs included in the report are budgeted for and variance explanations provided.
- Maintain a complete and up to date records for sub awardees ensuring easy access to authorized staff in a central place.
- Conduct regular sub award site visits/evaluations to check adherence to contract terms and gauge their internal control systems to obtain confidence in the financial reports submitted to PSI.
- Follow up with sub awardees to ensure annual external audits are conducted and recommendations/findings are rectified on time.
- Provide support inform of capacity building to sub-grantees in financial management, internal control systems, budgeting and forecasting.
- Maintain a complete register of assets under the custody of sub awardees and verify their existence during site visits.
- Submit quarterly site visit reports within 5 working days after the trip.
- Updated subaward files both soft and hard copies and upload to share points in timely manner.
- Updated asset registers and capital register
- Updates on status of issues raised with partners during quarterly reviews.
- Maintain performance of the quarterly advance burn rate above 90% and document in advance any significant underspends of the partners.
- Ethics posters for the partners office and ensure there is ethics and frauds reporting line in the partners offices.
- Updated monitoring plans and risk registers.
- Reporting costs and Disallow costs that are not reasonable, allowable and allocable.
What are we looking for?
- The candidate should have a good understanding of donor operations, willingness to travel within Somaliland and Somalia and he/she will be expected to have the following qualifications.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting / Finance or equivalent.
- CPA/ACCA or an advanced qualification in accounting/auditing is an added advantage.
- At least three (3) years’ relevant experience in similar sized organization,
- Proficiency in MS Excel and other MS Office products; knowledge of quick books is a plus
- Good personal organization skills including ability to meet deadlines and work well under pressure · Fluency in English
- Willingness to travel within Somaliland and Somalia
- Excellent inter personal and communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Mature, Honest, diplomatic and a positive attitude.
DATE: April 2019
- Proactive and reliable with ability to command respect and grace among peers and all levels of organizations, including ability to comfortably interact with the highest hierarchy within an entity
- Work effectively and cooperatively with others towards shared goals, establishing and maintaining principle-centered working relationships and possess excellent planning and organization skills
- Clearly conveys information and ideas through a variety of media to individuals or groups in a manner that engages the audience and helps them understand and retain their message.
- Demonstrate ability to use innovative approaches, strategies and personal initiative.
Please submit CVs to email@example.com not later than Thursday 18th April 2019