Duty Station: Kaysenay Hospital
Reports to: Senior Surgeon
Number of Positions: 1
The Somali Red Crescent Society (SRCS) is an independent, non-political humanitarian organization that was founded in April 1963 and was established with presidential decree No. 187 in 1965. It was then recognized by the ICRC in 1969 and in the same year became a member of the International Federation of the Red Cross and the Red Crescent societies.
We are currently seeking applications from experienced professionals to fill the vacant position of Surgeon in Kaysenay Hospital.
The role of the Surgeon is to operate on patients to correct or remove malformations, repair injuries or conduct preventative procedures on patients. He/she will also conduct examinations on patients and advise them on their medical situations.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Carry out surgery services including planning, scheduling and coordination as well as determination of procedures coordination with the senior surgeon and the OT supervisor
- Examine patient to obtain information on medical condition and surgical risk
- Carry out surgical procedures according with the scope of the hospital and the diagnoses of the patient
- Analyze patient’s medical history, medication allergies, and physical condition and examination results to verify operation’s necessity and to determine best procedure.
- Prescribe preoperative and postoperative treatments and procedures, such as sedatives, diets, antibiotics, preparation and treatment of the patient’s operative area following ICRC and international surgical standards.
- Provide consultation and surgical assistance to other physicians and surgeons.
- Work in a team and collaborate with health care practitioners during surgical procedures
- Carry out rounds at the surgical department in coordination with ward supervisor, medical and paramedical team.
- Fill patient files and ensure the medical plan is updated for all his/her patients during hospitalization
- Fill proper referral document patients requiring other healthcare health assistance out of Kaysenay hospital
- Examine instruments, equipment and operating room to ensure sterility in close collaboration with the OT supervisor. Report malfunctioning of medical instrument or equipment to the Head nurse.
- Follow up proper surgical procedures following international and ICRC surgical standards.
- Post graduate degree in Medicine
- At least 3 years proven experience in surgery
- knowledge and experience in trauma and general surgery
- the ability to remain calm and in control under pressure
- professional integrity and honesty, respecting both patients and colleagues
- Demonstrated knowledge and commitment to the fundamental principles of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement
Interested candidates are encouraged to send their updated CV, cover letter, and copy of their certificates to: email@example.com
Deadline for Applications: December 12, 2018
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.