SOMALIA STRENGTHENING INSTITUTIONS FOR PUBLIC WORKS PROJECT (SSIPWP)
Terms of Reference
|Reporting to:||Director General|
|Duration:||20 Months (depending on continued budget availability and need for the position as well as satisfactory or better performance evaluations)|
|Duty Station:||Ministry of Public Works, Reconstruction and Housing (MPWR&H Galmudug State Somalia)|
Somalia Strengthening Institutions for Public Works Project (SSIPWP):
The SSIPWP project is the centre piece for building the capacity of the Federal Ministry of Public Works, Reconstruction and Housing (MPWR&H) and the recently established state-level Ministries and the Banadir Regional Administration (BRA) by developing more effective, efficient, inclusive and accountable institutions for public works and infrastructure.
The SSIPWP project is funded by the African Development Fund (ADF) and the Transition Support Facility (TSF) of the African Development Bank (AfDB) and implemented through a Tripartite Protocol Agreement between the Somalia Federal Government, African Development Fund and the United Nations Office for Project Service (UNOPS).
The purpose of the SSIPWP project is improve the capacities of MPWR&H, State-Level Ministries and BRA responsible for public works to enable them independently plan, manage and oversee infrastructure construction projects and maintenance of public works (Project Appraisal Report, 2016).
- The technical advisor wil deals with the overall Public work, plans and projects for Public works, roads and highways; it also madanted zoning, building and town planning, land tenure, and topographic and cartographic research in somalia.
Scope of Services
- The services of Technical Advisor on Infrastructure are basically aimed to provide overall Engineering/management support to the Ministry in planning, implementing, managing and monitoring the tasks associated with the project.
Duties and Responsibilities includes but not limited to these:
- Coordinating production workflow for one or multiple products
- Planning and prioritizing operations to ensure maximum performance and minimum delay
- Assist the Ministry in introducing internationally accepted standards and good practices for overall project management within the phases of the project and ensure that their
- delivery meets timelines and quality requirements for the projects;
- Maintain coordination with the Director of the Department of Infrastructure in
Undertaking visits of project sites as necessary and provide suggestions for enhancing
Project efficiency when required;
- To provide overall engineering/managerial support to the Ministry for implementation of works and services related to infrastructure component.
- To support the Director of the Department of Infrastructure in all engineering and project implementation responsibilities.
- Ensure technically sound project implementation.
- Prepare all necessaryreports(monthly,quarterlyandotherreports)asreporttothe Ministry of Public Works, Reconstruction and Housing Galmudug state Somalia.
- He/Shewillalso report/work closelywiththeother Advisorsandreceiveadviceasandwhen necessary.
- Other technical and managerial activities as instructed by the Ministry.
- Perform related work as may be required.
Required Qualifications, Experience and Skills:
- A Master’s Degree in Civil/Structural/Construction Management or Transport Engineering with at least 5 years of experience in the related field and specific experience as construction/transportation engineer/project manager in at least three years of similar works
- Good knowledge of BOQ interpretation, Detailing, Specifications, Public Procurement, Project/Contract management, Quality Control and Structural and geotechnical tests;
- Good command in IT application such as AutoCAD, MS-Excel and other basic computer skills;
- Good presentation, interpersonal and communication skills;
- Excellent knowledge of English and Somali languages.
- Good project management skills.
- Good teambuilding skills.
- Working knowledge of regulations and procedures governing the Public Service.
- Working knowledge of computer applications.
- Interested candidates who meet the criteria above are encouraged to send their application letters and detailed CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org, closing date by 27th June, 2019 @12:00pm. Kindly indicate “Director of policy & planning) MPWRH GalmudugState Somalia–VA-no0089/19” on the subject line when applying.
- Qualified Female candidate is highly encouraged to apply.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.