Ministry of Public work, Reconstruction & Housing
Baidoa, South West State, Somalia
The South West State Ministry of Public Works, Reconstruction and Housing (MPWRH) is the responsible line ministry to deal with Urban Planning, formulating policy and regulations and providing technical support to the national and local governments on public infrastructure and urban management. It’s headquarter office is located in Baidoa and the ministry has regional and district level offices across the state. In recent years, the process of rapid urbanization has accelerated in South West State, driven by high natural growth migration, conflict and climate change, causing many challenges to provide for basic urban services and to manage the growth of urban centers. However, state government and local authorities could not cope with most of these challenges adequately. One of the main reasons is the lack of qualified technical personal in the public sector, when it comes to complex urban management and integrated land use planning, as well as the lack of an established set of standards for sustainable urban development and a clear urban planning process.
The Ministry of Public Works Reconstruction and Housing receives technical support for capacity building to fulfil its mandate through the Joint Programme on Local Governance, Somalia Programme which is a joint UN programme comprising of the following agencies: ILO, UNCDF, UNDP, UNICEF, and UN-Habitat.
Major activities of the cooperation between the Ministry and UN-Habitat related to Urban Planning in 2019 are the following:
- Implementation urban planning activities incl. technical trainings for ministerial and district staff related to urban planning and urban management,
- Technical support for MoPW&T to strengthening its capacity in spatial planning (urban profiles and draft master plans),
- Review Baidoa Urban Profile and carry out a town planning exercise in Baidoa
- Support for public awareness related to urban land management.
The Urban Planner consultancy will be supported through an Agreement of Cooperation between MoPWRH and UN-Habitat’s Somalia Programme, Regional Office for Africa (ROAF), under JPLG.
The Consultant will be working under the overall coordination of the Director General at MoPWRH. She/he will be responsible to manage and coordinate various projects and capacity development activities linked to urban land management legislation and urban planning.
Due to many cross-cutting issues it is expected that the Urban Planner closely collaborates with the other departments of the ministry as well as with district councils and the UN-Habitat National Officer.
The consultancy is linked to the willingness to undertake frequent missions to project districts.
The consultant will be paid upon agreed deliverables (workplan).
- Elaboration of a simplified version of urban planning standards and guidelines as a base for a future Urban Regulatory Framework;
- Organizing Urban Planning Capacity Building activities within the ministry and for technical staff of selected SWS districts,
- Collaboration with other technical coordinators at MPWRH and substantial contribution to develop a concept for establishment of GIS-based spatial database;
- Liaison with the Task Force for the Baidoa re-settling and planned city extension project;
- Coordination for Community Action Plan (CAP) relevant projects in Baidoa and Hudur;
- Managing updates of urban profiles and town planning exercise in Baidoa, in line with Midnimo Project and other programmes active in the city.
- Perform any other related duties as may be required.
- Managerial and coordination duties
- Report on progress of assigned project work to supervisors and administration of funds committed to project work,
- Coordinate with other departments in the ministry and other ministries involved into urban planning matters;
- Provide administrative and substantive support to planning consultative and training workshops, conferences etc., including agenda topics, identifying facilitators and participants and handling logistics,
- Act as liaison with consulting professionals in urban planning and land policy matters,
- Liaise with assigned UN-Habitat staff on technical matters.
- Capacity Development related activities
- Develop a work plan for training activities on urban planning for technical staff of the MPWRH, JPLG supported districts and staff from ministries crucial for urban development planning;
- Provide substantive support for preparation of training materials and presentations related to urban planning,
- Support capacity development activities for districts, for example preparation of trainings and training materials,
- Provide for technical assistance and training of assigned ministerial staff in urban planning matters (in-house, training-on-the-job),
- Evaluate the effect of various capacity development related activities and makes proposals for further improvements.
- Urban Planning analytical and technical work
- Develop project design and organizes field and site visits, and organizes coordination meetings related to participatory urban planning with ministry supported districts, mainly focused on Baidoa (Supervision for implementation of Baidoa City Extension Plan in collaboration with Baidoa Municipality) and Hudur town Planning as well as other potential cities in South West State Regions;
- Provide technical support in spatial and socio-economic data compilation for urban planning purposes, for example urban profiles;
- Prepare background study reports / Development proposal reports or assist in the production of documents; hereby closely collaborates with districts and other concerned ministries,
- Design and develop map contents and produce maps, for example base maps, land use map and other thematic area maps,
- Provide for technical expertise on reports, concept notes etc. and provide for substantial inputs to development plans at various levels (district, regional and national level),
- Assist in preparation of meetings of urban planning stakeholders and follow-up activities related to assigned urban planning projects,
- Assist in activities of the ministry related to Urban Land Management legislation process.
- Other assignments upon request, for example technical advice to Director General and Minister on urban planning matters.
- Knowledge and understanding of basic theories, concepts and approaches relevant to Urban Planning / Urban Strategic Planning,
- Have conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis,
- familiar with various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases,
- Ability to conduct, process and apply spatial- and socio-economic data and reflect critically on their usage for production of analytical maps and planning proposals,
- Have spatial sense and ability to think strategically,
- Able to manage assigned work in professional manner, e.g. structured, forward looking, in time, Shows pride in work and in achievements; and also, persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges, Service oriented and loyal to employer.
- Excellent written and verbal communication in English and Somali language
- Good interpersonal Skills, good Communication skill
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately, can adjust communication style to various situations, for example presentation, planning discussion, inter-ministerial working group, demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals,
- Willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda, Supports and acts in accordance with decisions, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position, Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Planning & Organizing:
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies,
- Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required;
- Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work;
- foresees risks and allows for time contingencies; adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently,
- Report in time when challenges occur that hamper accomplishment of assigned tasks; foreseeing risks and allowing for contingencies when preparing work plans and project timelines, Maintain a close collaboration to project partners (service-oriented) and UN-Habitat.
Qualifications and professional experience required:
A first-level university degree in accredited urban or regional planning program other related fields with 2 years experience in urban and regional planning and urban management of development related projects and programmes.
How to apply
- Interested candidates who meet the above requirement should submit their CV & Applications through the email firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 22th August 2019.
- Note: Only shortlisted candidate will be contacted for interview.
- Female Candidates are strongly encouraged.