Terms of Reference Administration and Finance Specialist
|Jamhuuriyadda Federaalka||ةيلاردفلا لاموصلا ةيروهمج|
|ةي روتسدلا نوؤشلا ةرازو|
|Wasaaradda Arrimaha Dastuurka|
Federal Republic of Somalia
Ministry of Constitutional Affairs
Terms of Reference
Administration and Finance Specialist
- Description of the post
The Ministry of Constitutional Affairs invites applicants who are citizens of Somalia for the following consultancy position:
Consultancy Title: Administration and Finance Specialist
Supervisor: Director General
Job Category: Individual Consultant
Duty Station: Mogadishu, Somalia
Opening Application Date: 09/10/2018
Closing Application Date:15/10/2018
The Federal Ministry of Constitutional Affairs (MoCA) mandate is to facilitate the creation of enabling conditions that would ensure the effective implementation of the constitutional review and implementation process. Its role therefore includes: promoting and facilitating political and public consultations on the review process with the Joint Oversight Committee of the Federal Parliament of Somalia, the Independent Constitutional Review and Implementation Commission, Federal Member States, political, social and cultural groups and the Somali people in general in order to create an open, transparent and inclusive constitutional review process.
The Constitutional Review and Implementation Support Project Initiation Plan (PIP), endorsed in February 2018, supported the Ministry of Constitutional Affairs to formulate and develop its Master-plan upon which the constitution review process will start. The PIP supported the initial activities required to take place to ensure an inclusive consultative process is in place to endorse and adopt the Master-plan. During the PIP period, the MOCA held extensive consultations with key role players and stakeholders that provided the current phase of constitutional review with the required legitimacy.
The Project is designed to provide responsive support to the constitution-making bodies, particularly to the activities of MoCA; and support for public education and consultation, particularly envisaging the inclusion of women, youth, minorities, and other marginalized people. The projects envisaged in the MoCA Master Plan, especially with regards to consultative processes and civic education, are considered important entry points for respective Project activities.
The objective of this assignment is to provide technical assistance to the ministry of constitutional affairs in the development and implementation of administrative and finance policies, HR guidelines and procedures that address cash-flow management in order to provide transparent and accountable systems.
- Scope of work
General responsibilities of the position include:
- Undertake a rapid capacity needs assessment of the ministry;
- Develop the ministry organogram (including numbers and levels of staff) in consultation with the minister, DG and other relevant departments providing advisory services on gender parity and develop any additional papers or submissions necessary to enable signoff of the
organogram by the minister, Director General, Civil Service Commission and any other relevant public service entity;
- Develop the Ministry budget, in accordance with the staff numbers endorsed in the ministry organogram, in line with the Government regulations and develop any additional papers or submissions necessary to enable signoff of the budget by the minister, the Director General and any other relevant public service entity;
- Develop job descriptions in support of the organogram and seek their endorsement by relevant public service entities, as necessary;
- Provide any or all support and advice to the ministry to undertake an efficient, gender responsive, merit-based recruitment process in line with the organogram and position descriptions, including assisting with all paperwork;
- Provide advisory and technical services to the ministry to develop relevant human resource manuals, gender responsive guidelines and other papers, to enable the ministry to properly recruit, manage, discipline and oversight staff;
- Design and ensure delivery of training to all current and new staff, including organizing management training for any new directors within the ministry;
- Provide advisory and technical services to the ministry to implement proper financial management procedures within the ministry, including developing manuals, guidelines;
- Provide monthly progress report covering all deliverables and activities undertaken;
- Expected Outputs and Deliverables:
Below are the expected deliverables/outputs for the individual contractor for a period of 2 months from November – December 2018
|Deliverables/Output||Estimated Duration to||Target due||Review and|
|Rapid capacity needs assessment||By the end of Month 1||30 November||Approved by|
|undertaken of Ministry to identify||2018||supervisor, DG of|
|staffing and other including gender||MoCA|
|issues– report (with|
|recommendations) produced and|
|submitted to Minster/DG (copied to|
|MoCA organogram and budget papers||By the end of Month 1||30 November||Approved by|
|in support of the new organogram||2018||supervisor, DG of|
|and capacity assessment drafted,||MoCA|
|consulted on and signed off by|
|Position descriptions in support of the||By the end of Month 1||30 November||Approved by|
|organogram drafted and signed off by||2018||supervisor, DG of|
|DG of the ministry;||MoCA|
|Human resource manual and financial||By the end of Month 2||31 December||Approved by|
|management manual developed from||2018||supervisor, DG of|
|a gender perspective, consulted on,||MoCA|
|finalized and signed off by the|
|Financial systems and procurement||By the end of Month 2||31 December||Approved by|
|systems designed, staff trained and||2018||supervisor, DG of|
|Final report produced summarizing||By the end of Month 2||31 December||Approved by|
|activities undertaken, results||2018||supervisor, DG of|
|achieved, and any recommendations||MoCA|
Reports to be provided:
- Monthly report for completed activities and deliverables with documents developed, training materials, manuals and guidelines.
- Submit final consolidated report with all achieved deliverables, lessons learnt/challenges and recommendations.
- Institutional Arrangement
The consultant will work in the office of the ministry in Mogadishu, under the supervision of Director General of the ministry. Achievement of Deliverables will be approved by the Director General of the ministry.
Payment will be made upon certification by supervisor including time sheets for actual dates of work and consultant performance in accordance with activities and deliverables as reported in the activity report.
- Duration of work
The contract is two (2) months from the period November – December 2018.
- Duties and Responsibilities
The Finance and Administration Specialist will:
- Undertake capacity needs assessment for the ministry;
- Develop administrative, financial and human resource processes and procedures in line with approved PFM, Human Resource and administration processes as laid down by the Civil Service Commission as well as other processes approved by the Government and in line with best practices. He will work with the ministry leadership and other relevant government institutions to finalize and adopt those policies and procedures;
- Develop detailed organogram and terms of reference for administrative, finance and human resources departments as well as individual staff in these departments;
- Conduct a capacity assessment of the admin, finance and HR departments of the Ministry (in close collaboration with the Institutional Capacity Development Consultant) and specify requisite training to all staff on required administration, finance and HR processes;
- In consultation with the Institutional Capacity Development Specialist, develop and deliver mentoring, training and capacity development to ensure that all relevant Ministerial staff performing these functions are able to do so. The Consultant will coach key staff members up to a level of competency to be able to competently perform senior roles in the unit;
- Provide effective leadership and management to financial, procurement, human resource and administrative strategic planning of the ministry;
- Produce financial reports of the Ministry whether for government, UN agencies or international NGOs;
- Manage the financial aspect of the Ministry’s meetings, workshops and trainings including constitutional review process events;
- Perform any other tasks as may be entrusted by the ministry from time to time;
- Qualifications and Professional Experience
Consultant shall be a specialist in fields of relevance to governance in conflict countries and should have an understanding of the Somali context as well in issues of related to constitutional review and development, rule of law and security in conflict societies. The main areas of expertise should be: Institutional capacity building, gender mainstreaming; organizational structure, human resources and capacity development strategies
- University degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance or related discipline
- Experience of at least 5 years
- The Consultant should have a proven background in finance, operations and human resources management
- Conversant with best practices concerning PFM, administration and human resources particularly within the public sector.
- Proven experience in setting organizational operational policies and procedures.
- Strong IT skills especially Microsoft office package including (Microsoft Office applications such as Ms Word, Ms Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Skills and Competencies
- Demonstrates integrity, impartiality, fairness, honesty and truthfulness in daily activities.
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills.
- Leads teams effectively and shows mentoring as well as conflict resolutions skills.
- Demonstrates ability to share knowledge, mentor and coach people to transfer skills.
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback.
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
- Sound judgment; ability to extract, interpret, analyze and format data and to resolve operational problems.
- Ability to work with minimum of supervision; and to work effectively with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to work with accuracy under time constraints and pressure;
- Ability to deal patiently and tactfully with staff members and others and to have a high sense of confidentiality, accountability, initiative and good judgment.
- Training and user support skills;
- Team work skills or proven skills in working as part of a team,
- Proven leadership ability and management skills,
- Good interpersonal skills;
- Ability to build networks and make effective contacts and connections;
- Excellent presentational skills – both verbal and written;
- Excellent communication and people skills;
- Fluency in Somali and English is mandatory. Spoken other languages like Arabic is an advantage.
- Gender Mainstreaming
The Ministry of Constitutional Affairs is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Other information
Consultant will need to bring her/his own laptop.
- How to apply
Interested candidates should submit their CV along with their application letter and passport size photograph via e-mail to email@example.com no later than 15 October 2018.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.