Terms of Reference Consultant for the Development Somaliland Water Sector Strategic Plan
Terms of Reference
Consultant for the Development Somaliland Water Sector Strategic Plan
Ministry of Water Resources Development
Hargeisa, Republic of Somaliland
|Position||Short Term Expert (Consultant) for the Development of Water Strategic Plan of Ministry of Water Resources Development|
|Duration of the Assignment||60 days with possibility of extension|
|Organizational Unit Department||Department of Planning, Coordination and Statistics.|
|Reporting to||Director of Planning, Coordination and Statistics Department|
|Duty station||Hargeisa, Somaliland|
Ministry of Water Resources Development is national lead agency for Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) sector in Somaliland and its mandated to ensure that Somaliland citizens has easy access to clean, adequate and affordable WASH facilities in a sustainable and environmentally friendly manner.
Pursuant to the Somaliland Water Act 2010 (Law No. 49), Ministry of Water Resources Development is solely responsible for the water resources development and management of national water resources and it’s mandated to act on behalf of Government of Somaliland in all matters relating to the Water Resources.
Ministry’s strategic purposes are included: 1) development of underground and surface water resources, 2) improvement of regulatory framework and oversight of water sector and sustainable management, 3) strengthening capacity of MoWD and its constituent bodies, 4) coordination and information management of the sector in Somaliland, and 5) mitigation of droughts and impacts of climatic and environmental changes to national water resources.
Objectives of the Assignment:
After the National Development Plan 2017-2021 (NDPII) was developed and agreed on goals and targets for the next five years for Somaliland water sector, we urgently needed to develop a detailed water sector strategic plan to specify steps to achieve these targets as means to know HOW and WHAT needs to be implemented WHEN and WHERE in terms of priority investments, programs and projects.
Ministry of Water Resources Development wants to hire consultant that will assist the Ministry to develop detailed 5 years Water Sector Strategic Plan (2019 – 2013). The consultant will be responsible for the preparation of the water sector strategic plan which sets the long term direction for the water sector development and implementation of Somaliland’s yearly action plan
Scope of Work of the Assignment
The scope of work for the work will include but not be limited to:
- Collect all available publications and incorporate them in the strategic plan
- Analyze Somaliland’s water sector priorities, challenges and needs;
- Asses and analyse MoWRD’s internal environment providing an idea of the needs and gaps in delivering on its strategy
- Conduct MoWD’s PEST analysis (political, economic, socio-cultural and technological) to describe a framework of macro-environmental factors supporting water infrastructure development
- Review programmatic areas of water development, sector outcomes, outputs and activities
- Draft the strategic plan document through compilation of existed documents and harmonization with relevant available information
- Make sure proper participation of all relevant stakeholders in the validation of Somaliland water sector strategic plan;
- Develop water strategic plan integrated with pro-poor oriented systemic approach fulfilling needs of IDPs, drought and disaster affected communities in Somaliland;
- Develop Five-Year Work Plan with SMART Goal, Purpose and Strategic objectives and activities;
- Develop Detailed Water Development Master Log frame with detailed explanation of strategic objectives, outputs and activities;
- Review and update information about the priorities and needs by six regions and districts and Identify strategic opportunities for Somaliland’s water development
- Identify and propose water supply projects/systems which are effective, appropriate, and sustainable for Somaliland based on proven practice in the country
- Identify and propose appropriate, sustainable and effective water systems technology for locations in the country with high levels of salinity; and drought prone locations with poor aquifers.
- Identify and propose appropriate Operations and Maintenance (O&M) mechanisms that should be in place to ensure that all the water systems are managed in a sustainable and effective manner.
- Propose appropriate institutional capacity building for the Ministry of Water Resources Development to facilitate the Ministry to be responsive and effective in meeting the targets of the strategic plan.
- Propose mechanisms that need to be put in place to ensure effective sector coordination and greater cooperation and working partnerships within the sector in manner that creates synergy, leveraging of available resources and avoids duplication of activities
- Develop a costed investment strategic plan for 5 years for the sector.
- Develop clear and measurable objectives for the water sector for 5 years.
- Co-organize validation and final dissemination workshops
- Develop results based monitoring and evaluation framework for Water Sector with clear indicators for outputs, outcomes and impact generated for each activity.
Required Experience and Qualifications;
- Master’s degree in water resources planning, strategic management, economics, public administration, institutional development or a related field;
- At least five years of specific experience working in strategic development or organizational development
- Experience in Somaliland public institutions strategic plan development
- Experience in developing similar sector strategic plans in Somaliland Ministries
- Evidence of similar products for developing public sector strategic plans
- Proven record of publications in terms of strategic plan development.
- Fluent in written and spoken English (Strong writing skills)
How to Apply
Please send your CV and samples of similar strategic plan products to the HR Director of Ministry of Water Resources Development through firstname.lastname@example.org and Cc to the Director of Planning, Coordination and Statistics through email@example.com
Please include “Consultant of MoWRD Water Sector Strategic Plan” in the title of your email. The application deadline is 12am (EAT) on 10 January 2019. Applications will be considered after that date and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.