Terms of Reference Finance Assistant (2 Positions)
Terms of Reference Finance Assistant
|Practice Area:||Support Services|
|Job title:||Finance Assistant|
|Duration of initial contract:||Open ended contract|
|Hiring Manager:||Finance Officer|
Background Information – PSC Peace and Security Centre
The UNOPS Peace and Security Centre (PSC) is a principal service provider in the field of mine action with the United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS), UNDP, UNICEF, Governments of mine-affected countries and other mine action partners. The Centre is responsible to administer, provide support and oversight of the day-to-day management of the Project Field offices, both according to the client requirements and in line with UNOPS rules and regulations. It is headed by the Centre Director who has the overall authority and accountability for the performance of the PSC on behalf of its clients.
United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS) is a division of the Office of Rule of Law and Security Institutions (OROLSI) in the Department of Peacekeeping Operations (DPKO). UNMAS is mandated by the United Nations General Assembly (RES/68/72) to ensure an effective, proactive and coordinated response to the problem posed by a wide range of explosive hazards. Legislative mandates also recognize UNMAS technical expertise in responding to threats posed by unsecured and unsafe conventional weapons and ammunition stockpiles. As an office within DPKO, UNMAS supports peacekeeping and special political missions in accordance with Security Council mandates.
UNMAS as a component of the United Nations Support Office in Somalia (UNSOS) provides explosive hazard management capacities, including mitigation, to AMISOM as part of a logistical support package. Non-lethal tactical advice and analysis is delivered by UNMAS technical advisors located in each AMISOM Sector Headquarters and at AMISOM Force Headquarters, who support AMISOM planning and operations. UNMAS support includes both enabling (“operate in spite of IEDs”) and response (“defeat the device”). As a component of the UN Mission in Somalia (UNSOM) UNMAS also supports the Federal Government of Somalia, including the Somali Police Force, Somali Explosive Management Authority and National Security Advisor.
- Background Information for the Position
Under the guidance and supervision of the Finance Specialist and direct supervisor, the Finance Assistant provides a variety of specialized finance, accounting, and clerical functions related to Project Accounting, Budgeting and Financial Reporting. The Finance Assistant ensures high quality, accuracy and consistency of work and promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNOPS financial rules and regulations.
The Finance Assistant will provide financial and administrative support to the timely processing, recording, monitoring, and maintaining of financial transactions and accounts relating to payments and receipts in accordance with UNOPS’ financial rules, regulations, policies, and processes.
Under the supervision of the Finance Officer, the Finance Assistant will carry out the following functions:
Summary of Key Functions;
- Accounting and administrative support
- CO cash management
- Knowledge Building and Knowledge Sharing
- Accounting and administrative support
Provides accounting, payments, support, focusing on achievement of following results:
- Proper control of the supporting documents for payments and financial reports for projects; preparation of vouchers for projects; PO vouchers; Pay Cycle and payment execution.
- Proper receipting of goods and services and establishment of accruals.
- Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Enterprise system; travel claims, MPOs and other entitlements are duly processed
- Timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers.
- Presentation of information on the status of financial resources as required.
- Maintenance of the Accounts Receivables for projects and recording of deposits in Enterprise system.
- Preparation of accounts-payable and PO vouchers for management projects.
- Review of payment requests including supporting documents against the annual work plan and UNOPS FRRs.
- Ensuring that vouchers processed are matched and completed, and transactions are correctly recorded and posted in ERP/electronic or paper-based systems.
- Running of remittance cycle and Creation of Remittance Advices to be sent to the bank.
- CO cash management
Ensures proper CO cash management system functioning focusing on achievement of the following results:
Terms of Reference
- Alternate to Finance Associate for timely review of cash position for local accounts to ensure sufficient funds on hand for disbursements. Timely identification and recording of receipts for income application.
- Alternate to Finance Associate for daily review of zero-balance account bank statements in Enterprise system to monitor imprest level; identification and recording of contributions.
- Management of cash receipts and petty cash.
- Timely and accurate preparation of bank reconciliations.
- Initiation of bank transfers and deals in Enterprise system.
- Knowledge building and Knowledge sharing
- Support the organization and delivery of training and learning initiatives for personnel on finance-related topics.
- Provide sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice by synthesizing of lessons learnt and dissemination of best practices in finance management support services
- Contribute feedback, ideas, and internal knowledge about processes and best practices and utilize productively.
Qualification and Experience
- First level university degree (bachelor’s Degree or equivalent) preferably in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, or related field with a combination of one (1) year of relevant experience; OR
- High school/Secondary School Diploma with five (5) years of relevant experience.
- Work Experience
- Relevant experience is defined as experience working in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration, or a related field at the national or international level;
- Knowledge of UN financial rules and regulations is desired;
- Experience in use of Finance Enterprise systems is desired;
- Experience with MS Office 2003/or newer versions, and financial management, using electronic systems environment is desired.
- Fluent in English (writing, reading, and speaking) is required;
- Fluent in Somalia (writing, reading, and speaking) is required;
- Knowledge of a UN official languages is desired.
Integrity & Inclusion
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Terms of Reference
Leading Self and Others
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others.
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others.
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries
Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
APPLY NOW: https://jobs.unops.org/Pages/ViewVacancy/VADetails.aspx?id=16129 Before 21 Sept 2018