Terms of Reference for Technical Advisor
| JAMHUURIYADDA FADERAALKA SOOMAALIYA
WasaaraddaCaddaaladda& Arr. Garsoorka
|جمهــــــــــــــــــوريــــــــــــــة الصــــــــــــــــومال الفــــــــــدراليـــــــــــــــــة
حكومة اقليم جلمـــــدج
وزارة العدل والشؤون القضائية
| FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF SOMALIA
Ministry of Justice & Judicial Affairs
|Terms of Reference for Technical Advisor|
|Duration of the assignment:||5 Months (With possibility of Extension subject to performance and funding)|
|Type of contract:||Service contract|
|Supervisor:||Under the supervision of the Minister (or anyone the Minister may delegate)|
|Date of Issue:||12/6/2019|
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Director General the Technical Advisor will deliver the following results
- Develop and finalize an institutional capacity development strategy for the Ministry including a detailed action plan and clear recommendations.
- Undertake a training needs assessment and based on this, produce a training plan with options to upgrade the current skill set of the staff of the Ministry.
- Contribute and support the establishment of the JM management structure at political and technical level (Council of Ministers of Justice, FMS technical committees, Joint committee)
- Coordinate the development and delivery of trainings for the Ministry staff and act as a facilitator or trainer. Conduct a minimum of two trainings on agreed priority topics for Ministry of Justice staff during the period of the contract.
- Develop and organize trainings for MOJ staff on public/government financial management system, procurement and human resource management.
- Develop detailed organogram and terms of reference including roles and responsibilities for MOJ departments as well as individual staff.
- Act an as an M&E plan and develop a work-plan for the implementation of the Letter of Agreement (LOA) between UNDP and the Ministry of Justice in close coordination with all relevant people in the Ministry of Justice and UNDP Joint Justice Programme.
- Develop a simple reporting format for capturing progress against agreed deliverables to be used and quality narrative reports using this format.
- Ensure timely preparation and submission of monthly, quarterly, annually and ad hoc narrative reports on UNDP support to Ministry of Justice.
- Monitor progress of agreement implementation both technical and financial through close collaboration with all relevant people including the leadership of the Ministry of Justice, the admin and finance unit of the Ministry of Justice, staff supported under the LOA and UNDP Joint Justice Programme.
- Track and analyze progress towards agreed outputs and activities as per the agreement with UNDP including regular monitoring of the delivery of consultants/advisors and graduate interns.
- Highlight risks and challenges that may hinder/delay implementation, and provide recommendations to address those risks and challenges.
- Ensure all data collected and reported are dis-aggregated by sex.
- Be responsible for monitoring of and reporting against the steps taken to address institutional weaknesses that were outlined in the recent micro-capacity assessment of the MINISTRY OF JUSTICE.
- Lead and coordinate the preparation, review and finalization of project proposals, and concept notes as required by Ministry of Justice.
- Ensure that gender issues are addressed in all documents and included in trainings and training materials.
- Ensure the organization and conducting of meetings/workshops/trainings by MINISTRY OF JUSTICE.
- Ensure the individual reports all staff of the ministry of Justice under LOA and submit to the UNDP
- Preparation of quality meeting minutes and training/workshop reports.
- Document lessons learnt and best practices for use in future support on a monthly basis
Required Skills and Experience
The candidate should have the following qualifications and experience:
- Masters Degree in Law, Public Administration, Business Administrations or a related field.
- At least five years of working experience in coordinating project with multiple stakeholders and working with governmental, UN, and international partners;
- Solid and demonstrated knowledge of and work related to justice/Somali Rule of Law Program/Somali Compact;
- Skills in collating information, analysing, and report writing;
- Proven capacity to work with and establish working relationships with justice institutions in the area;
- Ability to take initiative and to work with minimum supervision;
- Experience and skills in the Microsoft programs, (MS Excel, Word) and database programs.
- Solid knowledge in drafting work plans, facilitate meetings, and advising senior leaders;
- Ability to do desk research, collect and analyze data;
- Experience working in member state is an asset but not required.
- Previous work experience with the UN or an International NGO working in the justice sector is an asset but not required;
- Sound demonstrated understanding of gender issues and principles.
- Fluency in English and the Somali language is essential. Other UN languages are an asset.
- Strong communication and drafting skills;
- Experience in researching and analyzing security, political and social issues in Somalia is an asset;
- Ability to work under tight schedules, stressful environment and multi‐cultural context;
- Highly motivated with a positive attitude and pro‐active problem‐solving approach;
- Proficiency in the use of computer with common software and internet; good knowledge of Microsoft Office Applications;
- Willingness and ability to work closely with governments, international institutions/agencies and communities;
- Demonstrated drive for continuous improvement and incorporation of lessons learned and best practices into business process routines;
- Demonstration of professional behaviour and personal ethics, transparency and openness to encourage respect and similar behaviour from colleagues in the workplace;
- Experience of working successfully with a variety of stakeholders, particularly governments, think‐tanks, media and non-governmental organizations;
How to apply:
To apply for this position, please submit the following relevant documents:
- CV along with application letter and a copy of passport size photograph;
- Verified Copies of academic Certificates or transcripts;
- In your application letter, please indicate if you have particular expertise or experience related to the tasks above, as well as if you are available for five (5) Months assignments.