Terms of Reference Gender Advisor
|Jamhuuriyadda Federaalka||ةيلاردفلا لاموصلا ةيروهمج|
|ةي روتسدلا نوؤشلا ةرازو|
|Wasaaradda Arrimaha Dastuurka|
Federal Republic of Somalia
Ministry of Constitutional Affairs
Terms of Reference
- Description of the post
The Ministry of Constitutional Affairs invites applicants who are citizens of Somalia for the following consultancy position:
Consultancy Title: Gender Advisor
Supervisor: Director General
Job Category: Individual Consultant
Duty Station: Mogadishu, Somalia
Opening Application Date: 09/10/2018
Closing Application Date: 15/10/2018
The Federal Ministry of Constitutional Affairs (MoCA) mandate is to facilitate the creation of enabling conditions that would ensure effective implementation of the constitutional review and implementation process. Its role therefore includes: promoting and facilitating political and public consultations on the review process with the Joint Oversight Committee of the Federal Parliament of Somalia, the Independent Constitutional Review and Implementation Commission, Federal Member States, political, social and cultural groups and the Somali people in general in order to create an open, transparent and inclusive constitutional review process.
The Constitutional Review and Implementation Support Project Initiation Plan (PIP), endorsed in February 2018, supported the Ministry of Constitutional Affairs to formulate and develop its Master-plan upon which the constitution review process will start. The PIP supported the initial activities required to take place to ensure an inclusive consultative process is in place to endorse and adopt the Master-plan. During the PIP period, the MOCA held extensive consultations with key role players and stakeholders that provided the current phase of constitutional review with the required legitimacy.
The constitutional review support project is designed to provide responsive support to the constitution-making bodies, particularly to the activities of MoCA; and support for public education and consultation, particularly envisaging the inclusion of women, youth, minorities, and other marginalized people. The projects envisaged in the MoCA Master Plan, especially with regards to consultative processes and civic education, are considered important entry points for respective Project activities.
The objective of the assignment will be to provide expert advice and strategic guidance to the Minister and the Director General on the political and constitutional matters.
- Scope of Work
Under the overall guidance and direct supervision by the Direct General of the Ministry of the Constitutional Affairs (MoCA), the Gender Advisor will undertake the following duties:
- Support the planning for, implementation and management of women’s participation and gender mainstreaming components throughout the Constitution Review Process.
- Provide guidance to MOCA in the implementation of the joint road -map of the constitutional review process in close collaboration with key players in the constitution process
- Advise formulation, advocate and recommend gender provisions (including potential affirmative action) in revision and adoption of the federal constitutions
- Provide technical advice on mainstreaming gender across during the review process promoting equal opportunity standards.
- Champion relations with strategic partners to enhance successful implementation of the Constitution Review Process.
- Expected Outputs and Deliverables:
Below are the expected deliverables/outputs for the individual contractor for a period of two months from 01 November – December 2018
|Deliverables/Output||Estimated||Review and approval required|
|Developing Gender strategy and gender||Nov – Dec 2018||Mohamed Abukar Zubeyr,|
|action plan for MoCA,||Director General of MoCA|
|Developing a Gender training module for||Nov – Dec 2018||Mohamed Abukar Zubeyr,|
|the Unit staff||Director General of MoCA|
|Conduct Gender training for MoCA, FMSs &||Nov – Dec 2018||Mohamed Abukar Zubeyr,|
|BRA||Director General of MoCA|
|Gender analysis and mainstreaming||Nov – Dec 2018||Mohamed Abukar Zubeyr,|
|guidelines developed for MoCA on||Director General of MoCA|
|constitution review processes.|
|Final progress report produced||Dec 2018||Mohamed Abukar Zubeyr,|
|Director General of MoCA|
|Reports to be provided:|
Monthly report for completed activities and deliverables with documents developed, training materials, manuals and guidelines
- Submit final consolidated report with all achieved deliverables, lessons learnt/challenges and recommendations.
- Institutional Arrangement
The consultant will work in the ministry office in Mogadishu with possible travels to other regions, under the supervision of Director General of the ministry. Achievement of Deliverables will be approved by the Director General of the ministry. Payment will be made upon certification by supervisor including time sheets for actual dates of work and consultant performance in accordance with activities and deliverables as reported in the activity report.
- Duration of work
The contract is for two (2) months from the period November – December 2018.
- Duties and Responsibilities
Support to the MoCA in planning for and implementation of women’s participation and gender mainstreaming in all phases of the constitution review process:
- Integrate gender in all MoCA activities to promote gender equality and facilitate opportunities for women in electoral processes throughout the components of the review process.
- Develop and manage relations with CSOs, private and public institutions in the area of women’s empowerment to facilitate their participation in electoral processes, including supporting the establishment of consultation mechanisms with these groups.
- Assistance to ensure that gender issues are taken into consideration in the design and implementation of all aspects of capacity and needs assessments and planning.
- Support MoCA in planning and organizing workshops/seminars for all stakeholders, relating to the inclusion of women in the review process;
Ongoing advice to the MoCA on equal opportunity employment standards, which should reflect gender equitable principles and practices, pertaining to the MoCA mandate:
- Establish partnerships for long-term road map and implementation through coordination with CSOs to harness efforts towards achieving equal employment opportunities.
- Actively contribute ideas on gender responsive public awareness and civic education strategy in close coordination with CSOs.
▪ Identification of ways to promote the full participation of women in the constitution review processes in line with best practice.
Advice on the promotion of women’s political participation and representation in the legal framework, regulations and procedures for elections
- Actively contribute options and recommendations to promote the participation and representation of women in the constitution review process.
- Actively participate in consultations with the Ministry of the Constitutional Affairs (MoCA) and relevant institutions establishing gender responsive constitutional amendments.
Advise on strategic partnerships with government, CSOs in implementing the mandate of the MoCA.
- Development of advocacy platform from civil society and government for addressing issues of women’s participation in the constitution.
- Liaise with national and international partners supporting implementation of the joint Roadmap of the constitution review process.
- Implement and report to management on all MoCA gender initiatives
- Qualifications and required Skills and Experience
- A Master’s Degree in social sciences especially gender studies, or at least 5 years of experience on gender related issues.
- 5 years’ experience on gender related issues.
- Experience in usage of computers and office software packages.
- Excellent report writing and presentation skills.
- Demonstrate strong oral and written communication skills including presentation skills.
- Demonstrate good knowledge of current development issues particularly those pertinent to gender practice areas.
- Fluency in English, Somali. Knowledge or Arabic will be an asset. 4
- Gender mainstreaming
The Ministry of Constitutional Affairs is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Other information
The Consultant will need to bring her/his own laptop.
- How to apply
Interested candidates should submit their CV along with their application letter and passport size photograph via e-mail to email@example.com no later than 15/10/2018.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.