Terms of Reference Regional Coordinator for the SBA
|SOMALI BAR ASSOCIATION|
Terms of Reference
Regional Coordinator for the SBA in Garowe
The Somali Bar Association (SBA) was originally established in the 1960s but collapsed during the civil war. The legal community in Mogadishu reestablished the SBA in 2010 and has been developing it since then. The SBA is currently active in Mogadishu and has begun to connect with lawyers in the Federal Member States. The SBA has approximately 157 members across the country (93 in Benadir, 52 in Puntland 7 in Jubaland and 5 in Southwest). In Puntland, Jubaland and Southwest, SBA member started to group but are lacking resources and capacity to function. The SBA is committed to advancing the rule of law across the whole country by providing practical resources for legal professionals, increase public understanding of and respect for the rule of law, the legal process, and the role of the legal profession. In addition, the Somalia Bar Association works to hold the government accountable under law, works for just laws (including human rights and a fair legal process), and works to assure meaningful access to justice for all persons in Somalia.
Puntland Bar Association was established by an Act of parliament (Puntland lawyers act, Law No 4 in January 9, 2013) and mandated to advise and assist members of the legal profession, the government and the public in all matters relating to the rule of law and the administration of justice in Puntland. The organization consists of all practicing legal professionals in Puntland and has approximately 72 members in Puntland, the by-law of BPA asserts that one must be a member of the PBA in order to function as a lawyer or advocate in the Puntland Courts.
To advance its mission, and with the support of IDLO, the Somalia Bar association in collaboration with the Puntland Bar is recruiting a Regional Coordinator, based in Garowe. Under the direct supervision of the Chairperson of the Puntland Bar Association and SBA, the Regional Coordinator will be responsible and accountable for the overall coordination and cooperation between the Somali Bar Association & the Puntland Bar Association. Specifically, the Regional Coordinator should deliver the following results:
- Support the SBA Technical Coordinator in organizing visits by the Somali Bar Association leadership & members to Garowe and in organizing the participation of the Puntland Bar Association in meetings & workshops in other regions;
- In coordination with the SBA Technical Coordinator, lead the Puntland Bar Association office’s capacity development efforts, including organizing training for the PBA members, interns and paralegal;
- Provide monthly, quarterly, yearly and ad hoc reports of PBA’s office as per the instruction of the SBA Technical Coordinator and SBA President in Mogadishu;
- Monitor both technical and financial progress of PBA’s regional office through close collaboration with all relevant SBA personnel, including the SBA Technical Coordinator and the SBA Admin and Finance Officer;
- Take the lead in developing PBA office administration manuals in the areas of finance, procurement, HR and asset management;
- Prepare & continuously update the PBA’s database (for registered lawyers, paralegals and interns) and ensure that all data collected and reported by the PBA is dis-aggregated by sex.
- Identify risks and challenges that may hinder implementation, provide recommendations & support the SBA Technical Coordinator in mitigating such risks;
- Document lessons learnt and best practices for use in future support on a monthly basis;
- Perform any other task as may be required.
Finance & Procurement:
- In coordination with the SBA Technical Coordinator, prepare all financial and procurement documentation of workshops and meetings of the Puntland Bar Association as well as support the SBA Admin and Finance Officer in collecting financial & procurement documents;
- Support the SBA Admin and Finance Officer at SBA in preparing monthly and yearly operational and financial reports;
- Demonstrates integrity, impartiality, fairness, honesty and truthfulness in daily activities and behaviors.
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills.
- Leads teams effectively and shows mentoring as well as conflict resolutions skills.
- Demonstrates ability to share knowledge, mentor and coach people so as to transfer skills.
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback.
- Advanced university degree in law, public administration, or equivalent from a recognized university.
- At least 4 years of work/professional experience in the field of law or judiciary, or government institution capacity building.
- Strong experience in Somalia justice sector.
- Fluency in English and Somali is required.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit CV and cover letter indicating the vacancy title in the subject line with three professional referees and their contacts through this email (firstname.lastname@example.org AND email@example.com ), no later than 15th July 2019.