Terms of Reference (ToR) Outreach and Communications Specialist
|Jamhuuriyadda Federaalka||ﺟﻣﮭورﯾﺔ اﻟﺻوﻣﺎل اﻟﻔدراﻟﯾﺔ|
|وزارة اﻟﺷؤون اﻟدﺳﺗور ﯾﺔ|
|Wasaaradda Arrimaha Dastuurka|
|Federal Republic of Somalia|
|Ministry of Constitutional Affairs|
|Terms of Reference (ToR)|
Outreach and Communications Specialist
- Description of the post
The Ministry of Constitutional Affairs invites applicants who are citizens of Somalia for the following consultancy position: Outreach and Communications Specialist
Consultancy Title:Outreach and Communications Specialist
Supervisor: Director General, Ministry of Constitutional Affairs (MoCA)
Job Category: Individual Contract
Duty Station: Mogadishu, Somalia
Opening Application Date: 09/10/2018
Closing Application Date: 15/10/2018
The Federal Ministry of Constitutional Affairs (MoCA) mandate is to facilitate the creation of enabling conditions that would ensure the effective implementation of the constitutional review and implementation process. Its role therefore includes: promoting and facilitating political and public consultations on the review process with the Joint Oversight Committee of the Federal Parliament of Somalia, the Independent Constitutional Review and Implementation Commission, Federal Member States, political, social and cultural groups and the Somali people in general in order to create an open, transparent and inclusive constitutional review process.
The Constitutional Review and Implementation Support Project Initiation Plan (PIP), endorsed in February 2018, supported the Ministry of Constitutional Affairs to formulate and develop its Master-plan upon which the constitution review process will start. The PIP supported the initial activities required to take place to ensure an inclusive consultative process is in place to endorse and adopt the Master-plan. During the PIP period, the MoCA held extensive consultations with key role players and stakeholders that provided the current phase of constitutional review with the required legitimacy.
The Project is designed to provide responsive support to the constitution-making bodies, particularly to the activities of MoCA; and support for public education and consultation, particularly envisaging the inclusion of women, youth, minorities, and other marginalized people. The projects envisaged in the MoCA Master Plan, especially with regards to consultative processes and civic education, are considered important entry points for respective Project activities
- Scope of Work
The Outreach and Communications Specialist will provide technical support and guidance to the ministry in the areas managing our external and internal communications, dissemination of information and collection of public views in the constitutional review process. He /She is also expected to provide advisory support for public outreach and consultation activities. The consultant is anticipated to enhance the engagement of a wide range of public including civil society, academics and private sector to maximize the impact of communications strategies to increase public awareness on constitutional review process and achievement of the Master Plan and support for the technical drafting of the constitutional text. He /She will be responsible for the overall quality and timely submission of the activity report and deliverables to the ministry.
- Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop communication and advocacy strategy for raising public knowledge and awareness on constitutional review process (goals, messages, methods and volume) that targets TV, radio, press, and internet;
- Develop awareness raising materials for each target audience including youth and women with the necessary information from the MoCA in order to prepare them for the review process.
- Collaborate in design and production of communication material and disseminate all over the country.;
- Provide technical support to the Ministry on generating media coverage of constitutional issues, including supervising the production of editorial content and provides quality assurance;
- Build strong relations with media (national and international) including corporate contacts of individuals, groups, organizations and media outlets;
- Organize media coverage of constitutional review activities/events (workshops, seminars, round-tables and presentations) as well as preparation of press-releases, statements, interviews and media-kits where required;
- Identifies innovative opportunities and new communications tools and platforms which can serve to highlight the constitutional work of Government;
- Oversees the production of a range of communications materials for the Ministry and the Joint Civic Education Steering Committee, including managing the website;
- Provide support to implement MoCA Civic Education Strategy to raise awareness on the importance of the constitutional review nationally with special focus marginalized groups, women and youth, persons with disabilities and IDPs;
- Strengthens quality assurance in all communications related work and activities for the Joint Civic Education Steering Committee;
- Regularly update MoCA website as well as social media account with mega events and activities ;
- Keep abreast of other national bodies engaged in the constitutional review process to look for possible synergies in implementation of the communication and public awareness component;
- Document and keep record all MoCA events, activities in the form of written reports, pictures, video clips, press cuttings etc.
- Conduct media monitoring and press-clipping, finding reports in the areas of interest to the constitutional review and circulate them among relevant partners and stakeholders;
- Create contacts database of all stakeholders participating in Constitutional Review Outreach activities to ensure effective follow-up;
- Perform other duties related to the scope of work of Communications, Media and Public Awareness Specialist as required
- Expected Outputs and Deliverables:
Below are the expected deliverables/outputs for the individual contractor for a period of 2 months from November – December 2018
|Deliverables/Output||Estimated Duration||Review and approval required|
|Inception report on the assignment||Nov – Dec 2018||Mohamed Abukar Zubeyr,|
|produced||DG of MoCA|
|Communications and advocacy strategy||Nov – Dec 2018||Mohamed Abukar Zubeyr,|
|for the constitutional review process||DG of MoCA|
|Media outreach guidelines for the||Nov – Dec 2018||Mohamed Abukar Zubeyr,|
|Constitutional Review Process (both||DG of MoCA|
|written and digital media) developed|
|Mechanism to collect public views and||Nov – Dec 2018||Mohamed Abukar Zubeyr,|
|feedback designed and implemented||DG of MoCA|
|Training guide and materials||Nov – Dec 2018||Mohamed Abukar Zubeyr,|
|developed and training staff on||DG of MoCA|
|outreach and communications|
|Concept Note on weekly TV program||Nov – Dec 2018||Mohamed Abukar Zubeyr,|
|for constitutional review process||DG of MoCA|
|developed and implemented|
|Communication tools monthly||Nov – Dec 2018||Mohamed Abukar Zubeyr,|
|newsletter developed||DG of MoCA|
|Distribution plan for ICE Materials||Nov – Dec 2018||Mohamed Abukar Zubeyr,|
|developed to increase public||DG of MoCA|
|awareness in the constitution review|
|Field reports produced||Nov – Dec 2018||Mohamed Abukar Zubeyr,|
|DG of MoCA|
|Writing and documenting MoCA||Nov – Dec 2018||Mohamed Abukar Zubeyr, DG|
|activities report on consultations,||of MoCA|
|conferences, workshops, training,|
|national dialogues etc.|
|Produce final report||December 2018||Mohamed Abukar Zubeyr, DG|
|Reports to be provided:|
Monthly report for completed activities and deliverables with documents developed, training materials, manuals and guidelines.
- Submit final consolidated report with all achieved deliverables, lessons learnt/challenges and recommendations.
- Institutional Arrangement
The Communications, Media and Public Awareness Specialist will work in close collaboration with the MoCA staff and consultants, under the supervision of Director General of the ministry, Constitutional Review Support Project. Achievement of Deliverables will be approved by both the Director General of the ministry and UNDP.
Payment will be made upon certification by supervisor including time sheets for actual dates of work and consultant performance in accordance with activities and deliverables as reported in the Activity Report and agreed by UNDP.
- Duration of Work
Contract is for two (2) months from the period of November – December 2018.
- Qualifications and Professional Experience
- Master’s degree in communications, journalism, international relations, mass media or related field.
- A minimum of 7 years of experience with a proven professional record in working in the field of media and communications;
- Experience in national or international level, public relations, and online communications platforms;
- Experience in the usage of media technology, social media for public information, advocacy and good knowledge and experience in handling a web-based management system.
- Proven ability to develop and implement effective communications and media strategies;
- Proven ability to position issues effectively, both orally and in writing;
- Excellency in Somali and English (written and oral) is mandatory;
- Required Skills
- Ethics and Values: Promoting Ethics and Integrity/Creating Organizational Precedents;
- Organizational Awareness: Building support and political acumen;
- Planning and organizing: Proven ability to plan strategic direction and ability to organize and service intergovernmental bodies and international technical meetings;
- Developing and Empowering People / coaching and mentoring: Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation;
- Working in Teams: Proven record of building and managing teams and creating an enabling and collaborative work environment, including the ability to effectively lead, supervise, mentor, develop and evaluate staff.
- Ability to produce a wide range of communications support, including infographics, presentations, videos, and layouts for both web and print;
- Communicating Information and Ideas: Creating and promoting enabling environment for open communication;
- Conflict Management/Negotiating and Resolving Disagreements: Leveraging conflict in the interests of the organization & setting standards. Ability to interact and negotiate with high-level government officials are required;
- Gender Mainstreaming
The Ministry of Constitutional Affairs is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Other information
Consultant will need to bring her/his own laptop.
- How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit their CV along with their application letter and passport size photo via e-mail to email@example.com no later than 15/10/2018.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.