Terms of Reference Youth Advisor
|Jamhuuriyadda Federaalka||ةيلاردفلا لاموصلا ةيروهمج|
|ةي روتسدلا نوؤشلا ةرازو|
|Wasaaradda Arrimaha Dastuurka|
Federal Republic of Somalia
Ministry of Constitutional Affairs
Terms of Reference
- Description of the post
The Ministry of Constitutional Affairs invites applicants who are citizens of Somalia for the following consultancy position:
Consultancy Title: Youth Advisor
Supervisor: Director General
Job Category: Individual Consultant
Duty Station: Mogadishu, Somalia
Opening Application Date:09/10/2018
Closing Application Date: 15/10/2018
The Federal Ministry of Constitutional Affairs (MoCA) mandate is to facilitate the creation of enabling conditions that would ensure the effective implementation of the constitutional review and implementation process. Its role therefore includes: promoting and facilitating political and public consultations on the review process with the Joint Oversight Committee of the Federal Parliament of Somalia, the Independent Constitutional Review and Implementation Commission, Federal Member States, political, social and cultural groups and the Somali people in general in order to create an open, transparent and inclusive constitutional review process.
The Constitutional Review and Implementation Support Project Initiation Plan (PIP), endorsed in February 2018, supported the Ministry of Constitutional Affairs to formulate and develop its Master-plan upon which the constitution review process will start. The PIP supported the initial activities required to take place to ensure an inclusive consultative process is in place to endorse and adopt the Master-plan. During the PIP period, the MOCA held extensive consultations with key role players and stakeholders that provided the current phase of constitutional review with the required legitimacy.
The constitutional review support project is designed to provide responsive support to the constitution-making bodies, particularly to the activities of MoCA; and support for public education and consultation, particularly envisaging the inclusion of women, youth, minorities,
and other marginalized people. The projects envisaged in the MoCA Master Plan, especially with regards to consultative processes and civic education, are considered important entry points for respective Project activities. The objective of the assignment will be to provide expert advice and strategic guidance to the Minister and the Director General on the political and constitutional matters.
- Scope of Work
Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the Under the supervision of the Direct General of the Ministry of the Constitutional Affairs (MoCA), the Youth Advisor will undertake the following duties:
- Support MoCA in the planning and implementation programming on youth understanding and participation in constitutional review process;
- Support MoCA in the capacity building of youth groups and developing relevant materials to engage youth in the constitutional review process and ensure safeguarding their political and socio-economic rights in a revised Constitution
- Support MoCA in coordinating with internal and external youth-related initiatives focusing on constitutional review process:
- Expected Outputs and Deliverables:
Below are the expected deliverables/outputs for the individual contractor for a period of 2 months from November – December 2018
|Deliverables/Output||Estimated Duration to||Review and approval|
|Roster for youth networks/ organizations||Nov – Dec 2018||Mohamed Abukar|
|developed||Zubeyr, DG of MoCA|
|Training modules on advocacy and campaigning||Nov – Dec 2018||Mohamed Abukar|
|skills developed and conducted 6 workshops for||Zubeyr, DG of MoCA|
|country wide youth organizations|
|Develop and maintain training information||Nov – Dec 2018||Mohamed Abukar|
|matrix on youth in the review process||Zubeyr, DG of MoCA|
|Research on youth participation in the||Nov – Dec 2018||Mohamed Abukar|
|constitutional review process conducted and||Zubeyr, DG of MoCA|
|Outreach and Communication materials||Nov – Dec 2018||Mohamed Abukar|
|targeting youth designed and developed||Zubeyr, DG of MoCA|
|Developed and conducted surveys on impact of||Nov – Dec 2018||Mohamed Abukar|
|civic education on youth||Zubeyr, DG of MoCA|
|coordination mechanism for Youth issues||Nov – Dec 2018||Mohamed Abukar|
|created in the constitutional review process||Zubeyr, DG of MoCA|
|Produce final progress report||December 2018||Mohamed Abukar|
|Zubeyr, DG of MoCA|
Reports to be provided:
- Monthly report for completed activities and deliverables with documents developed, training materials, manuals and guidelines.
- Submit final consolidated report with all achieved deliverables, lessons learnt/challenges and recommendations.
- Institutional Arrangement
The consultant will work in the ministry office in Mogadishu with possible travels to other regions, under the supervision of Director General of the ministry. Achievement of Deliverables will be approved by the Director General of the ministry.
Payment will be made upon certification by supervisor including time sheets for actual dates of work and consultant performance in accordance with activities and deliverables as reported in the activity report.
- Duration of work
The contract is two (2) months from the period November – December 2018.
- Duties and Responsibilities
Support MoCA in the planning and implementation programming on youth understanding and participation in constitutional review process;
- Provides strategic guidance to MOCA on youth engagement activities in the constitutional review process;
- Builds partnerships and alliances with a wide youth network/organisation, throughout Somalia;
- Facilitate in building partnerships with universities and schools to provide platforms to for student engagement in the constitutional review process;
- Support to the MoCA in planning and organizing workshops/seminars for all stakeholders, relating to the inclusion of youth in constitutional review process;
- Support in the organization of relevant press conferences, drafting of statements and talking points; media monitoring and archiving of coverage; etc.
Support MoCA in the capacity building of youth groups and developing relevant materials to engage youth in the constitutional review process and ensure safeguarding their political and socio-economic rights in a revised Constitution
- Train youth groups on advocacy and campaigning skills for engaging in the constitutional review process
- Contribute to the design of outreach and education materials, including radio programming, pamphlets, posters, targeting youth engagement in the constitutional review process
- Design and oversee implementation of constitutional surveys, in order to track the impact of civic education activities on youth;
- Conduct research analysis with focus on youth participation in the constitutional review process;
Support MoCA in coordinating with internal and external youth-related initiatives focusing on constitutional review process:
- Proactively link with Member State Ministries as well as regional youth organization to implement a country wide youth engagement on constitutional review;
- In close collaboration with implementing partners and other relevant actors, contribute to the development and implementation of activities that contribute to the empowerment of young Somali men and women;
- Closely monitor youth engagement activities, feeding challenges and best practices back to the MoCA and other relevant partners in the review
- Qualifications and required skills and experience Education:
- Master’s Degree in political sciences, public administration, international development or in a related field;
- First level university degree in relevant academic fields and 2 additional years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- 5 years Technical Expertise in Youth Policies and Programmes, Social Cohesion, and/or other directly related fields;
- Proven track record of successfully assuming responsibilities of similar size and complexity;
- Experience in usage of computers and office software packages.
- Excellent report writing and presentation skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and conflict resolution competency to manage inter-group dynamics and mediate conflict interest of varied actors;
- Maturity and confidence in dealing with senior and high-ranking members of national institutions, government and non-government.
- Fluency in English, Somali is required. Knowledge or Arabic will be an asset.
- Gender mainstreaming
The Ministry of Constitutional Affairs is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Other information
The Consultant will need to bring her/his own laptop.
- How to apply
Interested candidates should submit their CV along with their application letter and passport size photograph via e-mail to email@example.com no later than 15 October 2018.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.