ToR Asst Federalism Advisor
Terms of Reference of Federalism Assistant
- Description of the post
The Ministry of Reconciliation and Federal Affairs of Galmudug state of Somalia is looking for Federalism Assistant to support the matters of Federalism. The consultancy duration is for six months but may be renewed subject on the consultant’s performance and availability of funds. The Ministry of Reconciliation and Federal Affairs of Galmudug state of Somalia invites Somali National applicants for the following consultancy position:
Consultancy Title: Federalism Assistant
Supervisor: Minister or anyone the Minister may delegate
Job Category: Individual Consultant
Duty Station: Dhusamareb, Somalia
Contract Start Date: Immediate
- Organization and Project Description
Somalia is at this juncture targeting to further capacitate its institutions with the view of not only to solidify the gains so far achieved in peace and state-building but to move the goal posts further by ensuring that for the first time, in three decades, the Somali citizens elect their own representatives by 2021. To realize this goal of peace and state building that is in harmony with the SDGs, the National Development Plan and the GMSS Strategic Plan among other institutions, Galmudug State of Somalia aims to put in place more accountable and responsive institutions that promotes and practices inclusive politics.
The objective of the project is to foster Inclusive Politics to enable citizens in participating in the political processes. The involvement of the citizens in the political process in a pronounced way will surely contribute a lot towards the attainment of the peace and state building goal. It is also the focus of the project to nurture authentic political representation and to stimulate a lively civil society for the 2021 universal suffrage, finalization of the review of the Constitution and the federalization process. The project focuses on three key pillars of democratic governance that play an important role in the development of Somalia’s Inclusive Politics –Federal Member State Parliaments and Civil Society, – through an integrated approach that is in line with a fourth component of achieving progress towards SDG 16 in Somalia.
3. Objectives of Assignment:
The overall objective of the assignment is to assist and support on the federalism aspects of the Ministry of Reconciliation and Federal Affairs of Galmudug state of Somalia and technical support Federalism advisor under the guideline of Ministry of Reconciliation and Federalism. The consultant will ensure that the functions outlined below, and the scope of work is satisfactorily carried out.
4. Functions/Scope of work will include:
- Assist with supervision of the advisor that MoRF has connections with other Galmudug institutions, Non-state actors and civil society organizations working on area of federalism.
- Assist development of annual action plans in support of the MoRF’s key priorities, defining setting existing and planned activities, roles and responsibilities of different actors, timelines, and required policies.
- Assist preparation of all internal and external meetings related to Federalism and state building where and when required.
- Assist in organizing meeting, workshops and seminars of Federalism and state building.
- Prepare reports, collect baseline assessment data and maintain data bases.
- Prepare financial documents, procurement documents and coordinate with vendors for processing of payments.
- Assist development Government-Citizen engagement plans to support state legitimacy.
- Assist the preparation, review and finalization of Galmudug Federalism strategy, conferences, associated meetings and research
- Assist maintaining good relationship with non-State actors/ elders, and other community leaders working on federalism and good governances.
- Assist developing community conversation plans on federalism, governance and inter-state collaborations.
- Organize and prepare all facilities on workshops, seminars, meeting and community engagements related to federalism and state building.
- Assist the implementation of Public Awareness and CSO Engagement on Federalism and State building.
5. Expected Outputs and Deliverables
- An overarching framework and strategy for federalism with well-defined desired end-states for each priority area
- Implementation plan supporting the roll out of the Federal strategy
- Detailed one-year action plans setting out existing and planned activities, roles and responsibilities of different actors, timelines
- Monthly reports and briefing for the office of the President, First Minister, progress made, challenges encountered, and corrective action proposed
- Contributing to the Emerging State coordination meetings, reporting and progress, updates and document emerging States’ capacity building support.
- Reports to be provided:
- Monthly report for completed activities and deliverables with documents developed, training and workshop reports.
- Quarterly Narrative Final report.
- Institutional Arrangement
The consultant shall work under the direct supervision of the Minister of Reconciliation and Federal Affairs of Galmudug State of Somalia. Achievement of deliverables will be approved by the Minister. Payment will be made upon certification of the Minister of time sheets for actual dates of work and consultant performance in accordance with activities and deliverables as reported in the activity report.
8. Duty Station
Duty station of the consultant will be at the offices of the Minister of Reconciliation and Federal Affairs of Galmudug State of Somalia in Dhusamareb.
9. Required Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Policy, Development planning or related disciplines.
- At least 2 years of proven experience in working federalism, state building, programme development and implementation.
- Specific experience in carrying out the tasks described in this TOR;
- Prior work in Galmudug area is highly desirable and firm understanding of Somalia context.
- Fluency in English and Somali language
10. Core competencies
- Strong inter-personal skills: Ability to motivate and inter-act with colleagues at all levels within the organization as well as with inter-agency partners.
- Results orientation and commitment to producing high-quality products;
- Ability to work under tight deadlines;
- Ability to support strategic planning, results-based programming, management, reporting as well as resource mobilization efforts;
- Ability to support formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programs and projects;
- Demonstrates outstanding oral and written communication and presentation skills;
- Strong IT skills. Encourages the use of new technologies and strives for high standard of professional work;
11. Gender mainstreaming
The Ministry of Reconciliation and Federal Affairs of Galmudug State of Somalia is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified Female are strongly encouraged to apply.
- How to apply
Interested candidates should submit their CV and application letter via e-mail to email@example.com copying firstname.lastname@example.org not later than COB 18 July 2019
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.