ToR For Asst Reconciliation Advisor
Terms of Reference of Reconciliation assistant
- Description of the post
The Ministry of Reconciliation and Federal Affairs of Galmudug state of Somalia is seeking for Reconciliation Assistant to support the matters of Reconciliation and peacebuilding. The duration of this consultancy service is six months renewable subject to consultant’s performance and availability of funds. The Ministry of Reconciliation and Federal Affairs of Galmudug state of Somalia invites Somali National applicants for the following consultancy position: –
Consultancy Title: Reconciliation Assistant
Supervisor: Minister or anyone the Minister may delegate
Job Category: Individual Consultant
Duty Station: Dhusamareb, Somalia
Contract Start Date: Immediate
- Organization and Project Description
Somalia is at this juncture targeting to further capacitate its institutions with the view of not only to solidify the gains so far achieved in peace and state-building but to move the goal posts further by ensuring that for the first time, in three decades, the Somali citizens elect their own representatives by 2021. To realize this goal of peace and state building that is in harmony with the SDGs, the National Development Plan and the GMSS Strategic Plan among other institutions, Galmudug state of Somalia aims to put in place more accountable and responsive institutions that promotes and practices inclusive politics.
The objective of the project is to foster peace and stability though reconciliation and Inclusive Politics to enable citizens in participating in the political processes. The involvement of the citizens in the peace building process in a pronounced way will surely contribute a lot towards the attainment of the peace and state building goal.Further, the project’s objectives align with the FGS/FMS’s priorities in launching the national reconciliation framework development process, promoting conflict resolution and advancing state-building.
3. Objectives of Assignment:
The overall objective of the assignment is to assist and support reconciliation aspects of the Ministry of Reconciliation and Federal Affairs of Galmudug state of Somalia and technical support reconciliation advisor under the guidelines of the Ministry. The consultant will ensure that the functions outlined below, and the scope of work is satisfactorily carried out.
4. Functions/Scope of work will include:
- Prepare reports, collect baseline assessment data and maintain data bases.
- Prepare financial documents, procurement documents and coordinate with vendors for processing of payments.
- Organize and prepare all facilities on workshops, seminars, meeting and community engagements related to federalism and state building.
- Assist in conducting baseline conflict assessment and peace mapping, research and coordination of data and research on conflicts and peace across the state;
- Help set up Conflict Early Warning and Early Response Mechanism to monitor localized conflicts in all areas;
- Assist Working closely with elders in the region on peace building on conflicted area of Mudug and Galgadud;
- Assist Formulate hands out for peace building an conflict resolutionsession;
- Assist Design result based reconciliation, and peace-building on state level and peace-building activities across the districts an Identify reconciliation gaps where they exist;
- Assist Provide input to policy development and strategic advice to MORF of Galmudug state on the matters relating to social, cultural, resource and political based reconciliations;
- Assist Develop and update a matrix mapping out reconciliation activities undertaken by different partners.
- Any other tasks assigned by the Ministry of Reconciliation and federalism-Galmudug
5. Expected Outputs and Deliverables
- An overarching framework and strategy for Reconciliation with well-defined desired end-states for each priority area
- Implementation plan supporting the roll out of the Galmudug reconciliation framework
- Detailed one-year action plans setting out existing and planned activities, roles and responsibilities of different actors, timelines.
- Drafting and rolling out Galmudug national truth and reconciliation commission policy and mandate.
- Drafting and finalization of reconciliation Action Plan (RAP) with scheduled activities
- Development of one-year Galmudug community conversation plan for Reconciliation and peace-building.
- Monthly reports and briefing for MoRF for progress made, challenges encountered, and corrective action proposed.
- Reports to be provided:
- Monthly report for completed activities and deliverables with documents developed, training and workshop reports.
- Quarterly Narrative Final report.
7. Institutional Arrangement
The consultant shall work under the direct supervision of the Minister of Reconciliation and Federal Affairs of Galmudug State of Somalia. Achievement of deliverables will be approved by the Minister. Payment will be made upon certification of the Minister of time sheets for actual dates of work and consultant performance in accordance with activities and deliverables as reported in the activity report.
8. Duty Station
Duty station of the consultant will be at the offices of the Minister of Reconciliation and Federal Affairs of Galmudug State of Somalia in Dhusamareb.
9. Required Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Science, conflict resolution or related field.
- At least 2 years of proven experience in working reconciliation/conflict resolution, state building, programme development and implementation.
- Specific experience in carrying out the tasks described in this TOR;
- Prior work in Galmudug area is highly desirable and firm understanding of Somalia context.
- Fluency in English and Somali language
10. Core competencies
- Strong inter-personal skills: Ability to motivate and inter-act with colleagues at all levels within the organization as well as with inter-agency partners.
- Results orientation and commitment to producing high-quality products;
- Ability to work under tight deadlines;
- Ability to support strategic planning, results-based programming, management, reporting as well as resource mobilization efforts;
- Ability to support formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programs and projects;
- Demonstrates outstanding oral and written communication and presentation skills;
- Strong IT skills. Encourages the use of new technologies and strives for high standard of professional work;
11. Gender mainstreaming
The Ministry of Reconciliation and Federal Affairs of Galmudug State of Somalia is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified Female are strongly encouraged to apply.
- How to apply
Interested candidates should submit their CV and application letter via e-mail to email@example.com copying firstname.lastname@example.org not later than COB 18 July 2019
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.