TOR FOR RECONCILIATION ADVISOR
Terms of Reference of Reconciliation Advisor
- Description of the post
The Ministry of Reconciliation and Federal Affairs of Galmudug state of Somalia is seeking for Reconciliation Advisor to lead the matters of Reconciliation and peacebuilding. The duration of this consultancy service is six months but may be renewed subject on the consultant’s performance and availability of funds. The Ministry of Reconciliation and Federal Affairs of Galmudug state of Somalia invites Somali National applicants for the following consultancy position: –
Consultancy Title: Reconciliation Advisor
Supervisor: Minister or anyone the Minister may delegate
Job Category: Individual Consultant
Duty Station: Dhusamareb, Somalia
Contract Start Date: Immediate
- Organization and Project Description
Somalia is at this juncture targeting to further capacitate its institutions with the view of not only to solidify the gains so far achieved in peace and state-building but to move the goal posts further by ensuring that for the first time, in three decades, the Somali citizens elect their own representatives by 2021. To realize this goal of peace and state building that is in harmony with the SDGs, the National Development Plan and the GMSS Strategic Plan among other institutions, Galmudug state of Somalia aims to put in place more accountable and responsive institutions that promotes and practices inclusive politics.
The objective of the project is to foster peace and stability though reconciliation and Inclusive Politics to enable citizens in participating in the political processes. The involvement of the citizens in the peace building process in a pronounced way will surely contribute a lot towards the attainment of the peace and state building goal.Further, the project’s objectives align with the FGS/FMS’s priorities in launching the national reconciliation framework development process, promoting conflict resolution and advancing state-building.
3. Objectives of Assignment:
The overall objective of the assignment is to lead and advice on the Reconciliation aspects of the Ministry of Reconciliation and Federal Affairs of Galmudug state of Somalia and technical support to the Minister with research and policy review, development of reconciliation framework on the Ministry’s Mandates. The consultant will ensure that the functions outlined below, and the scope of work is satisfactorily carried out.
4. Functions/Scope of work will include:
- To provide advice to the Office of the Minister related to Reconciliation process in GM
- Support in conducting baseline conflict assessment and peace mapping, research and coordination of data and research on conflicts and peace across the state;
- Help set up Conflict Early Warning and Early Response Mechanism to monitor localized conflicts in all areas;
- Work closely with elders in the region on peace building on conflicted area of Mudug and Galgadud;
- Formulate hands out for peace building an conflict resolutionsession;
- Design result based reconciliation, and peace-building on state level and peace-building activities across the districts an Identify reconciliation gaps where they exist;
- Provide input to policy development and strategic advice to MORF of Galmudug state on the matters relating to social, cultural, resource and political based reconciliations;
- Recommend to MoRF Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP) with scheduled activities;
- Work closely with the Reconciliation Ministry of Galmudug on Monitoring the implementation of the guiding principles of RAP across the state;
- Coordinate with the Reconciliation Department of MoRF of the GMSSon the implementation of activities according to annual work plans and LoA with UNDP;
- Develop and update a matrix mapping out reconciliation activities undertaken by different partners
- Assist in the preparation of annual work plans, semi-annual, and program budgets in accordance with the overall budget allocated by the donors;
- Participate in all internal and external meetings representing where and when required
- Coordinate with MoRF for conducting Government-Citizen engagement plans to support state legitimacy
- Develop community conversation plans on reconciliation with close coordination of MoIFAR, Federal Government, Non-state actors, actors working on conflict resolution and federal Member states.
- Lead and coordinate the preparation, review and finalization of national reconciliation plans, conferences, associated meetings and research
- Ensure that gender issues are addressed in all documents and included in trainings/meetings, Workshops and all other issues related to reconciliationas per UNDP’s LoA.
- Lead and coordinate the development of state level reconciliation forum/bodies public public administration grievances mechanism with the coordination of MoIFAR and non-state actors.
- Provide technical assistance and other support to non-State actors/ elders, and other community leaders on conflict management and community problem solving including conflict management training and awareness, support to community reconciliation efforts and reconciling interest groups
- Support and coordinate the establishment of Intergovernmental Relations Forum on matters related to reconciliation and conflict mapping.
- Support the legal drafting for national truth and reconciliation commission with coordination of MoIFAR, FMS, no-state actors/civil society organizations
- Provide a written monthly report with regard to progress against the above mentioned duties, including updates on various conflict drivers.
- Actively participate in the strategy meetings, giving expert level technical guidance where and when required;
5. Expected Outputs and Deliverables
- An overarching framework and strategy for Reconciliation with well-defined desired end-states for each priority area
- Implementation plan supporting the roll out of the Galmudug reconciliation framework
- Detailed one-year action plans setting out existing and planned activities, roles and responsibilities of different actors, timelines.
- Drafting and rolling out Galmudug national truth and reconciliation commission policy and mandate.
- Drafting and finalization of reconciliation Action Plan (RAP) with scheduled activities
- Development of one-year Galmudug community conversation plan for Reconciliation and peace-building.
- Monthly reports and briefing for MoRF for progress made, challenges encountered, and corrective action proposed.
- Reports to be provided:
- Monthly report for completed activities and deliverables with documents developed, training and workshop reports.
- Quarterly Narrative Final report.
7. Institutional Arrangement
The consultant shall work under the direct supervision of the Minister of Reconciliation and Federal Affairs of Galmudug State of Somalia. Achievement of deliverables will be approved by the Minister. Payment will be made upon certification of the Minister of time sheets for actual dates of work and consultant performance in accordance with activities and deliverables as reported in the activity report.
8. Duty Station
Duty station of the consultant will be at the offices of the Minister of Reconciliation and Federal Affairs of Galmudug State of Somalia in Dhusamareb.
9. Required Qualifications and Skills:
- Master’s degree in social science, conflict resolution, governance or related field.
- at least 5 years of proven professional experiencerelated to reconciliation, peace building, conflict resolution and state-building.
- Specific experience in carrying out the tasks described in this TOR;
- Prior work in Galmudug area is highly desirable and firm understanding of Somalia context.
- Fluency in English and Somali language
10. Core competencies
- Excellent analytical skills, ability to synthesize and clearly present complex processes and issues to service the information needs of diverse audiences;
- Ability to translate strategic thinking and innovative ideas into practical operational recommendations;
- Results orientation and commitment to produce high-quality out come;
- Ability to work under tight deadlines;
- Ability to support strategic planning, results-based programming, management, reporting as well as resource mobilization efforts;
- Ability to support formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects;
- Demonstrates outstanding oral and written communication and presentation skills;
- Strong interpersonal, negotiation and networking skills;
- Strong IT skills. Encourages the use of new technologies and strives for high standard of professional work;
- Strong inter-personal skills: Ability to motivate and inter-act with colleagues at all levels within the organization as well as with inter-agency partners.
- Gender mainstreaming
The Ministry of Reconciliation and Federal Affairs of Galmudug State of Somalia is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified female are strongly encouraged to apply.
12. How to apply
Interested candidates should submit their CV and application letter via e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org copying email@example.com not later than COB 18 July 2019
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.