TOR FOR STARTUP INCUBATOR – FINANCE OFFICER
TOR FOR STARTUP INCUBATOR – FINANCEOFFICER
- Project Title
RE-INTEG: Increasing access to basic services and creation of realistic livelihood opportunities in the main accessible areas of return and departure in Somalia
- Project Description
Over 1.1 million people, or nearly 10% of the Somali population live in protracted internal displacement. Another 1 million Somalis are in displacement in neighboring countries, bringing the total displaced population to approximately 20% of the current estimated population of Somalia.
The EU-REINTEG is a EU-sponsored programme that sees the participation of three UN agencies (UN-HABITAT, UNCHR and UNDP), their implementing partners and the Benadir Regional Administration (BRA) with a view to find sustainable, durable solutions for IDPs in Mogadishu through the provision of basic and protection services, housing and employment.
The Programme focuses on:
(a) Strengthening relevant governance structures through capacity building and accountability mechanisms to create the relevant sustainability potential for solutions;
(b) Implementing innovative, replicable and scalable solutions for basic and protective service delivery and employment;
(c) Producing, by the end of the project, a comprehensive and implementable urban durable solution strategy which includes financing schemes for the scale and complexity of Mogadishu’s IDP situation.
As some 67% of IDPs interviewed in Mogadishu identified “starting their own business” as their preferred strategy for securing sustainable employment and working their way out of poverty, UNDP is working towards a series of activities that propose social startups as a possible solution. The potential of social enterprises to address so called ‘bottom of the pyramid’ market opportunities and to reduce income inequality – including disparities between IDPs and their host communities – is well recognized globally and evidenced in Mogadishu by a recent IDP profiling exercise.
- Scope of Work
The proposed activity will seek an experienced finance officer to contribute to a startup incubator currently being established in partnership with BRA in Mogadishu.
Under the direct supervision of the RE-INTEG Project Manager and Incubator director, the finance officer is responsible for the following tasks:
- Prepare budgets and budget revisions as required and manage the incubator budgets on regular and timely basis;
- Implementation of control records such as commitments and expenditures;
- Review of financial reports from the different income-generating activities at the incubator (internet cafè, copy shop, spaces for rent);
- Preparation of documents and overview of procurement processes;
- Maintenance of internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed transactions are correctly recorded and communicated;
- Reconcile the records of payments with activities and recommends new disbursements;
- Monthly Budget Vs Expenditure analysis and expenditures tracking in accordance with UNDP rules and regulations;
- Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed transactions are correctly recorded and communicated;
- Full compliance with UN/UNDP rules, and policies of financial activities recording/reporting systems; follow-up on audit recommendations; implementation of effective internal controls, proper functioning of a client-oriented financial resources management system.
Expected Outputs and Deliverables
The Finance officer is responsible to ensure the following on a daily basis:
- Support to the financial resources management of the incubator, including its income-generating activities;
- Support to implementation of resources mobilized for the project;
- Preparation of financial reports and documents;
- Control of procurement process.
Reporting Line: the finance officer reports directly to the RE-INTEG Project Manager and the Incubator Director.
Duration of the Work
The contract will be for 364 days, from 15 January 2019 to 13 January 2020. The contract can be extended based on positive performance review.
- Duty Station
The Finance officer will be working from the incubator building (Mogadishu).
Qualifications of the Successful Individual Contractor
The successful candidate demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN values and ethical standards. He or she also promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of the RE-INTEG project and displays cultural, gender, religion, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Master’s Degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or related field.
b) Work experience
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in similar position is required with an advanced university degree;
- Experience in the usage of computer software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc), and web based management systems;
- Demonstrated knowledge in the cross-cutting themes of capacity development and gender
- Previous experience working with the UN a distinct advantage.
- c) Languages requirement
Somali (native) and English (fluent)
d) Other skills
- Sensitivity toward IDPs
- Strong interpersonal and networking skills with genuine interest in supporting the success of startups
- Self-motivated and able to initiate and deliver projects with minimal supervision
- Strong IT skills (MS Excel, MS Word, MS Powerpoint and graphics programs)
- Ability to identify and track relevant community metrics (e.g. repeat attendance at events)
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Excellent writing skills
- Hands on experience with social media management for brands
- Knowledge of online marketing and marketing channels
- Attention to detail and ability to multitask
- A warm, outgoing personality, integrity and the ability to work well within a team are highly valued and integral to the role
- Self-motivated and self-starter who thrives on high levels of personal responsibility and is able to execute and deliver
- Good common sense
- Strives for excellence and timely delivery
Criteria for Selection of the Best Offer
Candidates will be evaluated based on their experience. Please submit an updated CV to both addresses:
Please include “Startup incubator_name of position” in the subject line.
Women are strongly encouraged to apply