TOR FOR STARTUP INCUBATOR – IT PERSON/SHOP MANAGER
TOR FOR STARTUP INCUBATOR – IT PERSON/SHOP MANAGER
- Project Title
RE-INTEG: Increasing access to basic services and creation of realistic livelihood opportunities in the main accessible areas of return and departure in Somalia
- Project Description
Over 1.1 million people, or nearly 10% of the Somali population live in protracted internal displacement. Another 1 million Somalis are in displacement in neighboring countries, bringing the total displaced population to approximately 20% of the current estimated population of Somalia.
The EU-REINTEG is a EU-sponsored programme that sees the participation of three UN agencies (UN-HABITAT, UNCHR and UNDP), their implementing partners and the Benadir Regional Administration (BRA) with a view to find sustainable, durable solutions for IDPs in Mogadishu through the provision of basic and protection services, housing and employment.
The Programme focuses on:
(a) Strengthening relevant governance structures through capacity building and accountability mechanisms to create the relevant sustainability potential for solutions;
(b) Implementing innovative, replicable and scalable solutions for basic and protective service delivery and employment;
(c) Producing, by the end of the project, a comprehensive and implementable urban durable solution strategy which includes financing schemes for the scale and complexity of Mogadishu’s IDP situation.
As some 67% of IDPs interviewed in Mogadishu identified “starting their own business” as their preferred strategy for securing sustainable employment and working their way out of poverty, UNDP is working towards a series of activities that propose social startups as a possible solution. The potential of social enterprises to address so called ‘bottom of the pyramid’ market opportunities and to reduce income inequality – including disparities between IDPs and their host communities – is well recognized globally and evidenced in Mogadishu by a recent IDP profiling exercise.
- Scope of Work
The proposed activity will seek an experienced IT/Shop manager to contribute to a startup incubator currently being established in partnership with BRA in Mogadishu.
The selected candidateshould ensure the following:
- Timely provision of ICT end user support to ensure the smooth running of the IT equipment of the incubator, internet cafè and copy shop;
- Effective functioning (installation, operation and maintenance) of all hardware equipment and acquisition of hardware supplies for the incubator, internet cafè and copy shop;
- Performance of specific technical functions, including changing of hardware electronic components (disks, memories, network wiring, power sources, etc.) and routine repairs, both for the incubator and the copy shop clients;
- Installation of commercial and in-house developed software and related upgrades, anti-virus programs on a timely basis;
- Implementation of backup and restoration procedures for local drives. Maintenance of backup logs. Organization of off-site storage of backups;
- Maintenance of an up-to-date inventory of the software and hardware;
- Maintenance of the inventory and stock of supplies and spare parts in the copy shop;
- Provision of ICT support to key events;
- Create, improve on and edit art works, photos, presentations, charts and other graphic elements for the copy shop clients.
- Expected Outputs and Deliverables
The selected candidate is responsible to ensure the daily provision of IT services and copy shop management, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Monitoring of the network connection and proper ICT equipment functioning on a daily basis (internet cafè, copy shop and incubator);
- Trouble-shooting and monitoring of network problems;
- Support the copy shop clients in the use of equipment and creation of products (book binding, laminating, photocopying etc.), including basic arts such as logos and layouts;
- Managing the copy shop stock of items for purchase, ensuring proper procurement with the cooperation of the incubator Director;
- Managing basic financial transaction for the use of IT equipment at the internet cafè, and for the use of equipment and services at the copy shop, reporting to incubator Director.
- Institutional Arrangement
Reporting Line: the selected candidate reports directly to the Incubator Director.
- Duration of the Work
The contract will be for 364 days, from January 15th 2019 to January 13th 2020. The contract can be extended based on positive performance review.
- Duty Station
The consultant will be working from the incubator building (Mogadishu).
- Qualifications of the Successful Individual Contractor
The successful candidate demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN values and ethical standards. He or she also promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of the RE-INTEG project and displays cultural, gender, religion, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- a) Education
Secondary education with relevant certifications in hardware and software management and application.
Knowledge of programs such as Adobe InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop a plus.
- b) Work experience
At least 4 years of relevant experience including network administration, management of hardware and software platforms, telecommunications facilities, knowledge of Windows-based packages/applications.
Experience in managing copy shops or other related establishments a plus.
- c) Languages requirement
Somali (native) and English
- d) Other skills
- Sensitivity toward IDPs
- Strong interpersonal and networking skills with genuine interest in supporting the success of the incubator
- Self-motivated and able to initiate and deliver activities with minimal supervision
- Strong IT skills (MS Excel, MS Word, MS Powerpoint and graphics programs)
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Excellent writing skills
- Attention to detail and ability to multitask
- A warm, outgoing personality, integrity and the ability to work well within a team are highly valued and integral to the role
- Self-motivated and self-starter who thrives on high levels of personal responsibility and is able to execute and deliver
- Good common sense
- Strives for excellence and timely delivery
Criteria for Selection of the Best Offer
Candidates will be evaluated based on their experience. Please submit an updated CV to both addresses:
Please include “Startup incubator_name of position” in the subject line.
Women are strongly encouraged to apply