TOR FOR STARTUP INCUBATOR – RECEPTIONIST/SECRETARY
TOR FOR STARTUP INCUBATOR – RECEPTIONIST/SECRETARY
- Project Title
RE-INTEG: Increasing access to basic services and creation of realistic livelihood opportunities in the main accessible areas of return and departure in Somalia
- Project Description
Over 1.1 million people, or nearly 10% of the Somali population live in protracted internal displacement. Another 1 million Somalis are in displacement in neighboring countries, bringing the total displaced population to approximately 20% of the current estimated population of Somalia.
The EU-REINTEG is a EU-sponsored programme that sees the participation of three UN agencies (UN-HABITAT, UNCHR and UNDP), their implementing partners and the Benadir Regional Administration (BRA) with a view to find sustainable, durable solutions for IDPs in Mogadishu through the provision of basic and protection services, housing and employment.
The Programme focuses on:
(a) Strengthening relevant governance structures through capacity building and accountability mechanisms to create the relevant sustainability potential for solutions;
(b) Implementing innovative, replicable and scalable solutions for basic and protective service delivery and employment;
(c) Producing, by the end of the project, a comprehensive and implementable urban durable solution strategy which includes financing schemes for the scale and complexity of Mogadishu’s IDP situation.
As some 67% of IDPs interviewed in Mogadishu identified “starting their own business” as their preferred strategy for securing sustainable employment and working their way out of poverty, UNDP is working towards a series of activities that propose social startups as a possible solution. The potential of social enterprises to address so called ‘bottom of the pyramid’ market opportunities and to reduce income inequality – including disparities between IDPs and their host communities – is well recognized globally and evidenced in Mogadishu by a recent IDP profiling exercise.
- Scope of Work
The proposed activity will seek an experienced secretary to contribute to a startup incubator currently being established in partnership with BRA in Mogadishu.
The selected candidate should possess the following:
- Ability to perform a variety of repetitive and routine tasks and duties;
- Ability to review data, identify and adjust discrepancies;
- Ability to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints;
- Good knowledge of administrative rules and regulations;
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of clerical, administrative, secretarial best practices and procedures, in-depth knowledge of office software applications relating to word processing data management presentation;
- Ability to operate and maintain a variety of computerized business machines and office equipment in order to provide efficient delivery of service;
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities;
- Creates, edits and presents information (queries, reports, documents) in visually pleasing, clear and presentable formats such as tables, forms, presentations, briefing notes/books and reports using advanced word processing and presentation functions and basic database and spreadsheet software;
- Edits, formats and provides inputs to correspondence, reports, documents and/or presentations using work processing, spreadsheets and databases meeting quality standards and requiring minimal correction;
- Support to incubator procurement processes;
- Administrative support to conferences, workshops, retreats;
- Custodian for management of office stationery supplies including maintenance of stock list of stationery, distribution of stationery as required by staff and keeping a log of distribution;
- Maintenance of the filing system ensuring safekeeping of confidential materials;
- Assistance in the preparation of budget, provision of information for audit.
- Expected Outputs and Deliverables
The selected candidate is responsible to ensure the daily provision of secretarial, front-desk and telephone communication servicesfocusing on achievement of the following results:
- Monitoring of all visitors to the incubator;
- Assistanceto visitors by providing directions and accurate information related to the incubator;
- Operation and management of the telephone switchboard in accordance with appropriate protocol;
- Maintenance ofrecording information in the system, solution of minor technical problems, and reporting to telephone service provider for regular maintenance and repair;
- Management and planning of the front desk coverage.
- Institutional Arrangement
Reporting Line: the selected candidate reports directly to the Incubator Director.
- Duration of the Work
The contract will be for 364 days, from 15 January 2019 to 13 January 2020. The contract can be extended based on positive performance review.
- Duty Station
The consultant will be working from the incubator building (Mogadishu).
- Qualifications of the Successful Individual Contractor
The successful candidate demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN values and ethical standards. He or she also promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of the RE-INTEG project and displays cultural, gender, religion, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- a) Education
Minimum secondary education diploma
- b) Work experience
- At least 4 years of relevant experience
- c) Languages requirement
Somali (native) and English (basic)
- d) Other skills
- Sensitivity toward IDPs
- Strong interpersonal and networking skills with genuine interest in supporting the success of the incubator
- Self-motivated and able to initiate and deliver activities with minimal supervision
- Strong IT skills (MS Excel, MS Word, MS Powerpoint and graphics programs)
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Excellent writing skills
- Attention to detail and ability to multitask
- A warm, outgoing personality, integrity and the ability to work well within a team are highly valued and integral to the role
- Self-motivated and self-starter who thrives on high levels of personal responsibility and is able to execute and deliver
- Good common sense
- Strives for excellence and timely delivery
- Criteria for Selection of the Best Offer
Candidates will be evaluated based on their experience. Please submit an updated CV to both addresses:
Please include “Startup incubator_name of position” in the subject line.
Women are strongly encouraged to apply