TOR STARTUP INCUBATOR – COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER
- Project Title
RE-INTEG: Increasing access to basic services and creation of realistic livelihood opportunities in the main accessible areas of return and departure in Somalia
- Project Description
Over 1.1 million people, or nearly 10% of the Somali population live in protracted internal displacement. Another 1 million Somalis are in displacement in neighboring countries, bringing the total displaced population to approximately 20% of the current estimated population of Somalia.
The EU-REINTEG is a EU-sponsored programme that sees the participation of three UN agencies (UN-HABITAT, UNCHR and UNDP), their implementing partners and the Benadir Regional Administration (BRA) with a view to find sustainable, durable solutions for IDPs in Mogadishu through the provision of basic and protection services, housing and employment.
The Programme focuses on:
(a) Strengthening relevant governance structures through capacity building and accountability mechanisms to create the relevant sustainability potential for solutions;
(b) Implementing innovative, replicable and scalable solutions for basic and protective service delivery and employment;
(c) Producing, by the end of the project, a comprehensive and implementable urban durable solution strategy which includes financing schemes for the scale and complexity of Mogadishu’s IDP situation.
As some 67% of IDPs interviewed in Mogadishu identified “starting their own business” as their preferred strategy for securing sustainable employment and working their way out of poverty, UNDP is working towards a series of activities that propose social startups as a possible solution. The potential of social enterprises to address so called ‘bottom of the pyramid’ market opportunities and to reduce income inequality – including disparities between IDPs and their host communities – is well recognized globally and evidenced in Mogadishu by a recent IDP profiling exercise.
- Scope of Work
The proposed activity will seek an experienced communicationsmanage to contribute toa startup incubator currently being established in partnership with BRA in Mogadishu.
Under the direct supervision of the RE-INTEG Project Manager and Incubator director, the Communications Manager is responsible for the following tasks:
- Content creation – writing blog posts, articles, newsletters, communications materials, and material for social media channels
- Social media marketing – creating, managing and growing the company’s presence through blogs, Twitter, Facebook, and other strategically relevant online properties
- Events and event planning – organizing different types of events to help grow the reach of the incubator and community meetups
- Public relations – managing incoming media requests and building relationships with journalists creating, executing and measuring media campaigns
- Customer relations –responsible for customer support – answering questions however they come in (phone, e-mail, Twitter) and resolving any customer issues quickly
- Communications/marketing strategy – responsible for creating strategic marketing/communications plans to provide direction for the incubator communications
- Analytics – Using Google Analytics and other measurement tools to provide reports on metrics, and continually find ways to improve on those metrics through testing and new initiatives
- Creating a warm, welcoming environment for both, customers and incubated startups
- Expected Outputs and Deliverables
The Communications Manager is responsible of supporting the following tasks on a daily basis:
- Management of media relations, newsletter, social media channelsand website content development;
- Contribute to preparation of and support dissemination of public information materials to donors, stakeholders, partners and beneficiaries;
- Developplans to more effectively reach out to the regional and national audience, in line with the incubator’s communication strategy. This may include organizing radio debates, press briefings, book launches, round tables discussions;
- Organize information sessions with target audiences on specific topics to increase awareness of the work of the incubator;
- Draft press releases and media advisories to support key launches, milestones and events;
- Production of materials for distribution including short videos, photos, infographics, general artwork and templates;
- Organize and support publicity, advocacy, knowledge-sharing and promotional opportunities in support of the incubator activities/milestones.
- Institutional Arrangement
Reporting Line: the Communications manager reports directly to the Incubator Director.
- Duration of the Work
The contract will be for 364 days, from 15 January 2019 to 13 January 2020. The contract can be extended based on positive performance review.
- Duty Station
The consultant will be working from the incubator building (Mogadishu).
- Qualifications of the Successful Individual Contractor
The successful candidate demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN values and ethical standards. He or she also promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of the RE-INTEG project and displays cultural, gender, religion, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- a) Education
Master Degree in Communications, Marketing or similar
- b) Work experience
- At least 5 years managing communications, public relations or marketing for businesses or NGOs
- Experience in launching community initiatives (e.g. building an online forum, launching an ambassador program, creating an event series and writing an email newsletter)
- Experience in delivery communications and marketing trainings a plus
- Proven track record supported by a Portfolio
- Experience in video production and photography is desirable. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) essential. Experience in Indesign and Final Cut Pro desirable.
- Demonstrated knowledge in the cross-cutting themes of capacity development and gender
- c) Languages requirement
Somali (native) and English (fluent)
- d) Other skills
- Sensitivity toward IDPs
- Strong interpersonal and networking skills with genuine interest in supporting the success of startups
- Self-motivated and able to initiate and deliver projects with minimal supervision
- Strong IT skills (MS Excel, MS Word, MS Powerpoint and graphics programs)
- Ability to identify and track relevant community metrics (e.g. repeat attendance at events)
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Excellent writing skills
- Hands on experience with social media management for brands
- Knowledge of online marketing and marketing channels
- Attention to detail and ability to multitask
- A warm, outgoing personality, integrity and the ability to work well within a team are highly valued and integral to the role
- Self-motivated and self-starter who thrives on high levels of personal responsibility and is able to execute and deliver
- Good common sense
- Strives for excellence and timely delivery
- Criteria for Selection of the Best Offer
Candidates will be evaluated based on their experience. Please submit an updated CV and your work portfolio to both addresses:
Please include “Startup incubator_name of position” in the subject line.
Women are strongly encouraged to apply