TOR STARTUP INCUBATOR – DIRECTOR
- Project Title
RE-INTEG: Increasing access to basic services and creation of realistic livelihood opportunities in the main accessible areas of return and departure in Somalia
- Project Description
Over 1.1 million people, or nearly 10% of the Somali population live in protracted internal displacement. Another 1 million Somalis are in displacement in neighboring countries, bringing the total displaced population to approximately 20% of the current estimated population of Somalia.
The EU-REINTEG is a EU-sponsored programme that sees the participation of three UN agencies (UN-HABITAT, UNCHR and UNDP), their implementing partners and the Benadir Regional Administration (BRA) with a view to find sustainable, durable solutions for IDPs in Mogadishu through the provision of basic and protection services, housing and employment.
The Programme focuses on:
(a) Strengthening relevant governance structures through capacity building and accountability mechanisms to create the relevant sustainability potential for solutions;
(b) Implementing innovative, replicable and scalable solutions for basic and protective service delivery and employment;
(c) Producing, by the end of the project, a comprehensive and implementable urban durable solution strategy which includes financing schemes for the scale and complexity of Mogadishu’s IDP situation.
As some 67% of IDPs interviewed in Mogadishu identified “starting their own business” as their preferred strategy for securing sustainable employment and working their way out of poverty, UNDP is working towards a series of activities that propose social startups as a possible solution. The potential of social enterprises to address so called ‘bottom of the pyramid’ market opportunities and to reduce income inequality – including disparities between IDPs and their host communities – is well recognized globally and evidenced in Mogadishu by a recent IDP profiling exercise.
- Scope of Work and Expected Deliverable
The proposed activity will seek an experienced Director to contribute to a startup incubator currently being established in partnership with BRA in Mogadishu.
Under the direct supervision of the RE-INTEG Project Manager, the director is responsible for the following tasks:
- Overall responsibility for the day-to-day smooth running of the incubator, ensuring high levels of satisfaction;
- Managing and capacitating the team at the incubator;
- Overseeing premises management;
- Providing input into the budgeting process and regular forecasting;
- Providing information for management reporting and prepare reports as necessary;
- Identifyingand select potential startups for the incubation program;
- Analyzing financial statements, forecasts and funding requirements of each potential startup;
- Defining, build and finalize legal agreements;
- Supervising financial management in coordination with the financial officer;
- Assisting startups in the areas of strategy, business plan development, market analysis, company registrations;
- Understanding requirements of startups and build a mentoring relationship through the mentor pool;
- Defining deliverables, their timelines and monitor progress of startups;
- Developing and maintain relationships with investors, Government bodies, service companies;
- Helping raise funds from private and public sources.
- Institutional Arrangement
Reporting Line: the consultant reports directly to the RE-INTEG Project Manager.
- Duration of the Work
The contract will be for 364 days, from15 January 2019 to 13 January 2010. The contract can be extended based on positive performance review.
- Duty Station
The Director will be working from the incubator building (Mogadishu).
- Qualifications of the Successful Individual Contractor
The successful candidate demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN values and ethical standards. He or she also promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of the RE-INTEG project and displays cultural, gender, religion, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- a) Education
- Bachelor and Master Degree in Business Administration
- Teaching experience a plus
- b) Work experience
- At least 3 year experience in managing and supervising projects with a focus on entrepreneurship, small business development and similar
- Experience working in startup incubators a plus
- Founder of a company or working at a company as one of the first few employees preferred
- Training experience in entrepreneurship and business development a plus
- Proven track record in financial management and fundraising
- c) Languages requirement
Somali (native) and English (fluent)
- d) Other skills
- Sensitivity toward IDPs
- Experience or interest in social entrepreneurship
- Highly organized and results driven- a “completer/finisher”
- Strong interpersonal and networking skills with genuine interest in supporting the success of startups
- Managing processes, developing standards, promoting process improvement
- Basic knowledge of finance and accounts
- Self-motivated and able to initiate and deliver projects with minimal supervision
- Strong IT skills (MS Excel, MS Word, MS Powerpoint)
- Marketing Skills
- A warm positive collaborative approach, honesty, personal integrity, and ability to work well within a team are highly valued and integral to the role
- Self-motivated and self-starter who thrives on high levels of personal responsibility and is able to execute and deliver
- Good common sense, logical decision-maker
- Strives for excellence and timely delivery
- Criteria for Selection of the Best Offer
Candidates will be evaluated based on their experience. Please submit an updated CV to both addresses:
Please include “Startup incubator_name of position” in the subject line.
Women are strongly encouraged to apply