Training Advisor for the National Independent Election Commission (NIEC)
Job Title: Training Advisor for the National Independent Election Commission (NIEC)
Creative Associates International Inc.
BUILD Project – Somalia
Position Location: Mogadishu, Somalia
Creative Associates International Inc. is a dynamic and fast-growing professional services firm that specializes in international development in the areas of education, democratic transitions and stabilization in post-conflict environments. Based in Washington, DC, the firm has a field presence in 20 countries worldwide with a strong and diverse portfolio that includes global contracts with the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) and other clients including the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Defence. The firm has earned a solid reputation among its clients and missions worldwide and is well regarded by competitors and partners alike.
PLEASE NOTE: This position is located in Mogadishu, Somalia. The successful applicant must be a Somalia national and have the right to work in Somalia. No relocation or similar expenses will be paid by Creative Associates. The Advisor will be embedded in the National Independent Electoral Commission in Villa Somalia and will directly report to the Chairperson.
The Bringing Unity, Integrity and Legitimacy to Democracy (BUILD) project aims to support electoral and political processes in Somalia by developing the capacity of governmental actors to design and administer electoral processes and by fostering increased citizen and media participation and oversight of the democratic process.
In regard to Somalia, BUILD will work to develop the capacity of the NIEC in the design, development and implementation of electoral processes leading to credible one-person-one-vote elections scheduled for 2020. The Training Advisor will be supported in the delivery of their role by a BUILD International Training Expert
1 Year renewable
Position Start Date:
The Training Advisorunder the direct supervision of the Secretary General of NIEC works in close collaboration with all NIEC departments and BUILD staff and Government Officials to successfully design, develop and deliver training related to electoral operations.
- Assist the NIEC in managing and coordinating the planning, set up and development of the Procedures and Training section.
- Manage the development of the procedural framework including procedures on the nomination of candidates, accreditation of electoral observers and party agents, voter registration, polling and counting.
- Manage the development and production of manuals and forms for all procedures.
- Assist the NIEC in fulfilling the training needs of the NEC including producing training materials and developing and implementing training strategies and programs for all electoral operations including registration, polling and counting.
- Manage the coordination of briefings and develop briefing packs on operational issues for new recruits.
- Ensure all procedures and training materials developed and distributed by the section conform to the legal framework and NIEC policies.
- Co-ordinates assistance and advice to district Offices from the unit.
- Provides weekly reports to the BUILD Election Technical Advisor, through the BUILD Training Expert on the development of procedures, strategies and plans for training and progress with the implementation of these plans.
- Carries out any other electoral tasks at the request of the Secretary General and the BUILD Elections Technical Advisor
The Training Advisor will report on a day-to-day basis with the NIEC Secretary General. However, they will also provide a weekly written report, through the BUILD Training Expert, to the Elections Technical Advisor.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Promotes the vision, mission and strategic goals of NIEC and BUILD
- High degree of personal initiative and willingness to accept a wide range of responsibilities;
- Demonstrated effectiveness in developing training materials and strategies
- Ability to provide technical and political advice to the NIEC leadership
- Excellent communication (spoken, written and presentational) skills, including ability to present sensitive issues /positions, write reports and promote NIEC decisions;
Planning and Organizing:
- Demonstrated planning and organizational skills and ability to coordinate the work of others, work to tight deadlines and handle multiple concurrent projects/activities.
Knowledge Management and Learning:
- Promote knowledge management in NIEC and a learning environment in the office through leadership and personal example;
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills.
Required Skills and Experience:
- Minimum 7 years of relevant and progressively responsible professional experience in training, technical writing and/or management of training teams.
- Must be able to work effectively in a politically sensitive environment and exercise discretion, impartiality and neutrality.
- Proven ability to plan and ensure targets are met.
- Experience and ability to work under pressure and within limited timeframes.
- Excellent planning, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ideally the candidate will have experience or a good knowledge of election related issues.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of web-based management systems.
- Degree in Education, Law or relevant discipline or advanced education/certified training in training techniques and strategies, government, politics, journalism or equivalent professional experience as a technical writer. A Master’s degree from an accredited university is preferred
- Fluent in English and Somali (written and spoken)
How to apply:
Send electronic submissions of updated resumes & cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org 5 PM on June 15, 2019. Please include the Job Title in the subject line. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.