SOMALIA STRENGTHENING INSTITUTIONS FOR PUBLIC WORKS PROJECT
Terms of Reference
|Position Title:||Transportation engineer|
|Reporting to:||Director of Construction|
|Duration:||20 months (depending on continued budget availability and need for the position as well as satisfactory or better performance evaluations)|
|Duty Station:||Ministry of Public Works, Reconstruction and Housing (MPWR&H Jubaland State Somalia)|
Somalia Strengthening Institutions for Public Works Project (SSIPWP)
The SSIPWP project is the centre piece for building the capacity of the Federal Ministry of Public Works, Reconstruction and Housing (MPWR&H) and the recently established state-level Ministries and the Banadir Regional Administration (BRA) by developing more effective, efficient, inclusive and accountable institutions for public works and infrastructure.
The SSIPWP project is funded by the African Development Fund (ADF) and the Transition Support Facility (TSF) of the African Development Bank (AfDB) and implemented through a Tripartite Protocol Agreement between the Somalia Federal Government, African Development Fund and the United Nations Office for Project Service (UNOPS).
The purpose of the SSIPWP project is improve the capacities of MPWR&H, State-Level Ministries and BRA responsible for public works to enable them independently plan, manage and oversee infrastructure construction projects and maintenance of public works (Project Appraisal Report, 2016).
Purpose of the position
- The officer will report to the Director of Construction and is responsible to coordinate the collection, compilation, consolidation and analysis of data to track programs/ projects activities, monitor progress and support impact measurement of policies of transport sector of the MPWRH Jubaland State through effective monitoring and evaluation
Scope of services
- Reporting to the Direction of Construction at MPWRH Jubaland State authority, the incumbent is responsible all program staff monitoring assigned of the ministry Public works FMS.
Duties and Responsibilities, include, but are not limited to:
- Develop transportation strategies.
- Architect, design and develop all transportation systems including traffic signal systems.
- Integrate drainage systems in design and development of transportation projects.
- Develop and maintain traffic systems and processes.
- Review and assess project plans.
- Analyze and evaluate traffic impacts when building transportation systems.
- Write traffic management plans.
- Assist and support in traffic management systems.
- Implement cost efficient technologies in building transportation systems.
- Integrate safety procedures and standards in implementing transportation operations.
- Prepare final project layout drawings that include details such as stress calculations.
- Prepare project budgets, schedules, or specifications for labor or materials.Supervise the maintenance or repair of transportation systems or system components.
- Plan alteration or modification of existing transportation structures to improve safety or function.
- Investigate or test specific construction project materials to determine compliance to specifications or standards.
- Inspect completed transportation projects to ensure safety or compliance with applicable standards or regulations.
- Model transportation scenarios to evaluate the impacts of activities such as new development or to identify possible solutions to transportation problems.
- Confer with contractors, utility companies, or government agencies to discuss plans, specifications, or work schedules.
- Check construction plans, design calculations, or cost estimations to ensure completeness, accuracy, or conformity to engineering standards or practices.
- Design or prepare plans for new transportation systems or parts of systems, such as airports, commuter trains, highways, streets, bridges, drainage structures, or roadway lighting.
- Design or engineer drainage, erosion, or sedimentation control systems for transportation projects.
- Design transportation systems or structures using sustainable materials or products, such as porous pavement or bio retention structures.
- Develop plans to deconstruct damaged or obsolete roadways or other transportation structures in a manner that is environmentally sound or prepares the land for sustainable development..
Required Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering with at least 2 year Experience in road Constriction.
- Minimum 2 year experience in transportation sector
- Qualification or specialized Training in Transportation Engineering highly Desirable
- Develop or assist in the development of transportation-related computer software or computer processes.
Interested Somali candidates who meet the criteria above are encouraged to send their application letters and detailed CVs firstname.lastname@example.org, Closing date by 22ndMay, 2019 @5:00pm.Kindly indicate “Transportation EngineerMPWRH Jubaland State Somalia & VA-no: 0073/19” on the subject line when applying.
- Qualified Female candidates is highly encouraged to apply.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted