- Job category: Economist
- Post date:15 Aug 2019
- Share job:
|Organizational Location:||Banaadir Regional Administration|
|Duty Station:||Mogadishu- Somalia|
|Functional Title:||Urban Economist|
|Post Duration||One Year|
A. Project Title
RE-INTEG: Increasing access to basic services and creation of realistic livelihood opportunities in the main accessible areas of return and departure in Somalia.
- Project Description
Over 500 people, live in protracted internal displacement in the Benadir Region. About 55% of the IDPs are concentrated in two of Mogadishu’s peripheral districts. 47% of the displaced population in Mogadishu has expressed local integration as their preferred durable solution, as such the EU Reinteg program directly addresses the desired solution for the majority of displaced.
The EU-REINTEG project is a joint UN and BRA initiative, it originates from and directly supports the Somalia IDP Solutions Initiative led by the Federal Government of Somalia and the UN Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator and it builds on the primary role and responsibility of authorities to support durable solutions. The Municipality of Mogadishu is the leading institutional partner for this project.
The Programme focuses on:
(a) Strengthening relevant governance structures through capacity building and accountability mechanisms to create the relevant sustainability potential for solutions;
(b) Implementing innovative, replicable and scalable solutions for basic and protective service delivery and employment;
(c) Producing, by the end of the project, a comprehensive and implementable urban durable solution strategy which includes financing schemes for the scale and complexity of Mogadishu’s IDP situation.
The Urban Solutions Task Force (USTF) is the embodiment of the National Development Plan Strategic Objective 1 on Durable Solutions. Through the USTF IDP’s will be able to access the relevant governance structures that they were previously unable to access. EU-REINTEG provides the financial support to establish the dedicated capacity in the Benadir Regional Administration (BRA) to begin bridging the gap between IDP’s and their accountable authorities.
The USTF is designed to bolster the inclusion of IDPs in the policy, planning and implementation of urban programs by designing and implementing Benadir’s first tailored Urban Durable Solutions Strategy (UDSS). The USTF will manifest for Mogadishu the strategic path outlined in the Somalia National Development Plan (NDP) 2017-2019.
The Urban Durable Solutions Strategy (UDSS) is a living document that will focus on overcoming 4 key challenges faced by IDPs and returnees in their effort to achieve durable solutions to their displacement; rule of law and governance, access to land and tenure security and inclusive development,individual documentation, social inclusion and participation, access to services and labor markets.
|1. Job Title||Urban Economist|
|2. Department||Department for Social Affairs and Awareness|
|3. Assignment Location||Mogadishu, Banadir Regional Administration|
|4. Grade Level|
|5. Reporting To|
|6. Supervisory Responsibility|
|7. Objectives of the Job||The objectives of the assignment of the Urban Economistare:
· Act as the focal point between the BRA and EU-Reinteg partners and secretariat; ensure sufficient understanding by all local stakeholders about the EU Reinteg, donors and the objectives and activities of the Programme on economic and Housing Finance issues.
· Support the general activities and coordination of the Urban Solutions Taskforce and particularly:
o Develop durable solutions relevant knowledge on the economic context of Mogadishu that will feed in to the Urban Durable Solutions Strategy, with a particular focus on the economy around housing and livelihoods.
o Ensure timely and regular reporting to Urban Solutions Task Force, BRA and EU Reinteg Secretariat when required;
o Coordinate, liaise, and support regular meetings and working sessions of the Urban Solutions Task Force;
o Support in the preparation of USTF Work Plans and the development of the UDSS;
o Support the USTF in the development, testing, evaluation and revision of the UDSS;
o Development of the Housing and Urban Economy thematic areas to be included in the UDSS;
o Coordinate with the partners working on the various livelihood components within the program. Organize for adequate visibility and awareness of UDSS;
o Collaborate and coordinate with USTF, BRA, UN Agencies – especially the ones that are part of the EU Reinteg- to ensure programmatic integration, and sharing of best practices and lessons learnt;
· Implementation and oversight of activities related to the Rental Subsidy Scheme for IDPs and Low-Income Housing Trust Fund
o In cooperation with the BRA leadership and the Deputy Mayor/Finance, support the creation of a cost centre or a fund within BRA that can support the implementation of the Low-Income Housing Trust Fund and the Rental Subsidy Scheme for Internally Displaced Persons.
o Manage and oversee the Low-Income Housing Trust Fund and the Rental Subsidy Scheme for Internally Displaced supported by the EU Reinteg and maintain transparent accountability records on the cash transfer modalities, expenditure and the construction of outputs/assets related to these activities.
o Develop training materials that build on the Training of Trainers on the Financial Model developed by UN Habitat on Rental Schemes. In cooperation with the Training Department of the BRA, periodically train relevant BRA staff on Rental Subsidies.
o With the technical support provided by UN Habitat and UNDP, develop a strategy for the sustainability of the Low-Income Housing Trust Fund, inclusive of marketing elements for communication and advocacy with external partners (companies, international institutions, ministries, banks etc. )
· Collaborate and support all EU Reinteg colleagues and contractors operating with BRA when required;
· Promote and organize teamwork and a productive working environment that is inclusive, consultative and participatory;
|8. Output and deliverables||The Urban Economist will be responsible for the following:
· Timely liaison and information sharing with all authorities, Activities/projects developed, managed, monitored and evaluated; effective management of teams; well-reasoned written contributions and innovated approaches for dealing with issues; and effective working relationships through internal and external communications, and strengthened partnerships with relevant parties.
· Research on and collection of quantitative geo-data that can be used for urban and regional planning in Benadir Regional Administration.
Develop background study reports, prepared and edited – including reports to the Mayor, and Urban Solutions Taskforce Coordinator.
· Collaboration with GIS expert of BRA and substantial contribution to concept development and implementation of GIS-based spatial data base, starting with Public Property Inventory for Urban planning projects.
· Support the production and research of a:
– Handbook for addressing protracted displacement.
– Good Practice Report and Lessons Learnt, Report on Durable Solutions (in collaboration with other experts).
|11. Education||University degree in Financial Accounting, Business Administration, Economics, and/or other relevant fields.
|12. Experience||Five years working experience in development projects in the position of a financial accounting or economist is essential. Strong knowledge of Excel is critical along with working with Government institutions is vital, especially with Federal Government of Somalia with substantive experience in (local) governance, local economic development, financial management, and working with local authorities. Ideally wouldhave worked with micro loans/credits before on the accounting side.
|13. Skill Requirements||· The incumbent must demonstrate the following skills:
· Strong Knowledge of development, political social and cultural issues in Somalia.
· Proven capacity to interact effectively with a range of stake holders
· Strong contextual knowledge of food security and nutrition in Somalia
· Communications skills in written and spoken English and Somali languages
· Ability to write reports, prepare and deliver presentations; and,
· Good skills with data including data analysis packages
· Upon assumption of duty, the Food security
|14. Competency Requirements||The incumbent must demonstrate the following competencies:
· Ability to operate in compliance with organizational rules and regulations;
· Effective organizational and problem-solving skills and ability to manage a large volume of work in an efficient and timely manner;
· Ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor (own) work;
· Ability to work under pressure, with conflicting deadlines, and to handle multiple concurrent activities;
· Ability to operate effectively across organizational boundaries;
· Ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and harmonious working relations with respect for diversity and gender
· Focuses on result for BRA and responds positively to feedback
· Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
· Remains calm, in control and good humoured even under pressure
· Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
· Strong Communication skills;
· Think strategically and analytically;
· Focus on outcomes.
|Applications should include:
· Cover memo (maximum 1 page)
· Supporting documents indicating higher learning institution degree
All applications should be submitted to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for applications: 18-Aug-2019
For further information, please refer to: BRA Human Resource Department
- Qualified female candidates are highly encouraged to applying.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
1308 total views, 1 today