Volunteer Laboratory Technician (3 Positions)
SOS Children’s Villages International is the umbrella organization to which all SOS Children’s Villages including SOS Children’s Villages Somalia Association is affiliated. SOS Children’s Villages Somalia has officially been working in Somalia since 1985. SOS is currently working in 134 countries worldwide. We are committed to the welfare of children – often throughout the whole of their childhood, and to strengthening families and communities as a preventive measure in the fight against abandonment and social neglect. We also run education and health facilities. With the SOS Children’s Village concept, the organization pioneered a family approach to the long-term care of orphaned and abandoned children. SOS Children’s Villages upholds child protection policy and our selection processes reflect our commitment to the protection of children and youth from abuse. SOS Currently working in Banadir and Bay Regions, we expending our services to Bakool Region
SOS Children’s Villages invites applications from suitably qualified and interested candidates who fulfill the eligibility criterion for the below Position of Volunteer Laboratory Technician.
Job Title: Volunteer Laboratory Technician (3 Positions)
The position holder is expected to learn laboratory techniques and work under the laboratory incharge in busy hospital providing 24 hour services to women and children. The intern Lab Technician is expected to learn to perform all laboratory procedures, manage laboratory services and ensure internal and external laboratory quality control.
Report to: Laboratory incharge
Key Area of responsibility:
- Perform a variety of technical laboratory procedures according to Medical Center, laboratory and national standards to obtain patient specimens to ensure specimen quality used to aid in the diagnosis and treatment of disease
- Responsible for accurately completing records and reports and other statistical information for master files or databases.
- Follow laboratory policy for data retrieval, record keeping, specimen, and identification, requisition, reporting, charting, and billing procedures
- Maintain positive working relationship with the medical staff and medical centre personnel
- Use positive interpersonal skills to educate/support lab customers and promote success of team members. Uses clear and concise verbal and written communication with staff and the public.
A loving home for every child
- Act independently on supervisor’s direction and accepts responsibility of the adopted policy and procedures of the medical centre and the laboratory
- Does not report patient results unless quality control data are within accepted parameters.
- Recognizes out of control values, takes corrective action, and notifies others of changes.
Desirable: Understanding local contexts and dialogues is additional value.
Qualifications and Experience
- Candidate must possess a Bachelor’s degree in Laboratory sciences
- Excellent command in Somali/English languages
- Computer skills (Ms word, excel, internet)
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
Child Safeguarding Policy: SOS Children’s Villages organization is committed to safeguarding the rights of the children and therefore, is expected that every individual who joins with SOS Children’s Villages Somalia understand his/her responsibility in protecting and keeping children always safe.
Interested applicants should send their applications with a CV, clear subject line and scanned copies of your academic and professional certificates indicating telephone numbers and three referees to: this email firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date is 16th May 2019
Competent Female candidate are Preferable to apply
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
A loving home for every child