TOR/ JOB PROFILE
Position: WASH Assistant
Report to: WASH Officer/Senior WASH Officer
Location: Beledweyne, Hiran
Working hours: 8 hours per day for 5 days
Background: Relief International (RI) is a leading non-profit organization working in 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships, and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
In order to respond to the growing humanitarian crisis and to address both the immediate and transitional health needs of the drought and conflict-affected population, Relief International (RI) is implementing a one-year OFDA Multi-Sectral Response program, To provide multi-sectoral humanitarian assistance that reduces morbidity and mortality and delivers immediate emergency relief to flood/cholera-affected communities in Beletweyne and Belet Hawa district, The program focuses on addressing critical needs in maternal and child health care through operational support to four primary health care facilities in the Beletweyne and Baladhawa district. Throughout the program, RI will continue building the capacity of the local heath work force as well as other local institutions and leaders (e.g. community health promoters) to facilitate the continuation of long-term programming for the Somali people and avoid service interruptions during security hibernations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- The WASH Assistant will be assisting implementation water, environmental sanitation and hygiene promotion activities in the operation area.
- Mobilize all stakeholders to respond appropriately to outbreaks of cholera and acute watery diarrhoea.
- To facilitate community hygiene outreach for internally displaced people (IDPs) camps including the host communities.
- To ensure that planned hygiene promotion activities are being undertaken correctly in designated project locations, usually in coordination with other WASH activities.
- Facilitate and ensure that all hygiene components and sanitation issues are understood and implemented among the communities/IDPs.
- Conduct household water safety and hygiene promotion assessment and build the capacity of local communities for sustainable water safety and hygiene promotion services.
- Support and conduct training of water management committees
- Support the existing community organization for dialogue in order to improve and upscale positive hygiene practices among the communities/IDPs
- Conduct water quality surveys at all RI rehabilitated water supply systems.
- Facilitate and participate community voluntary participation in waste management, provision of clean and safe water and measures in order to promote hygiene practices.
- A certificate in Water Supply, Public Health or related discipline, or equivalent work experience in community water, sanitation and hygiene program.
- At least one year experience in working with an INGO
- Relevant training and experience in Water, Sanitation and hygiene.
- Experience in community social work
- Good report writing and communication skills
- Be flexible and willing to work in a team spirit.
- Respect the working hours, and report well ahead if any difficulties in coming to work.
- Attend trainings and meetings required by supervisor
- Be ready to be on call at times of need/emergencies
- Be willing to travelling to field at the earliest opportunity requested
- Participating in personnel meetings
- Be flexible and be able to give assistance with different activities not included in this primary job description.
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities.
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation
HOW TO APPLY:
Applicants should send their applications (CV and cover letter with 3 referees) to firstname.lastname@example.org indicate the title as “WASH Assistant, Beledweyne” in the subject line.
The closing date for applications is November 11, 2018. Only qualified and shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
RI is an equal opportunity employer. Female candidates are encouraged to apply.