WASH Project Assistant (1)
|TITLE: WASH Project Assistant (1)|
|TEAM/PROGRAMME: WASH||LOCATION: Adado|
|GRADE: 6||CONTRACT LENGTH: 12 months|
|CHILD SAFEGUARDING: Level 3: the post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.|
To contribute to Save the Children’s capacity to meet its drought response and child survival objectives in Somalia, through the provision of quality water and sanitation programmes in emergencies. The role will specifically address emergency water and sanitation, temporary construction or rehabilitation needs through assessment, programme design, management, capacity building and evaluation. The role exists to: assist in implementing direct emergency hygiene promotion and sanitation programmes; build capacities of hygiene promotion assistants, volunteers; and support hygiene promotion activities for Save the Children’s core programme sectors of health, education, child protection and hunger reduction where required.
|SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: WASH Coordinator
Staff reporting to this post:None
Role Dimensions:Save the Children works in 4 regions in Somalia with a current staff complement of approximately 450 staff and current expenditure of approximately GBP 30 million each year
|Precise objectives will vary between assignments. The core areas that the position holder will be expected to deliver on are as follows:
· To manage community outreach activities and guarantee the efficient and effective sensitization, mobilization and participation of the communities targeted, there by maximizing the programme performance.
· Working closely with the IP Water and Sanitation Engineering team to mobilize communities to support the construction and maintenance of water and sanitation facilities such as water points, latrines and bathing areas
· Working closely with the IP health, nutrition, FSL, protection and education teams to integrate hygiene promotion programming across the sectors.
· Prepare work plans in particular with focusing water and sanitation needs of the target population.
· Arrange, conduct surveys and need assessments, as and when required for the on-going program or future project proposals;
· Identify need of water, establish and maintain contacts with the communities, water committees, Implementing partners, line Govt. departments,
· Train community volunteers and water management groups on operation and maintenance of water and sanitation facilities
· Arrange and facilitate meetings and seminars with communities
· Organize Hygiene promotion activities through effective media ;
· Keep detailed up to date records for the project activities and water, latrine sites as per the instructions and formats provided by the Project coordinator/officer.
· With the Engineer, ensure that latrines are being implemented in accordance with the objectives of the project.
· Keep the Project coordinator updated with regard to the security situation in the project implementation area and provide advice as to how to manage our presence in this environment.
· Perform and document regular monitoring of all project sites; planned, on-going and completed.
· Other duties as assigned by your line manager
· Comply with all Save the Children policies and procedures with respect to child protection, health and safety, fraud, whistle blowing, equal opportunities and other relevant policies
· Account for SCI’s assets and interests and safeguard from loss arising from fraud, waste, weak administration or poor value for money
· Carryout the responsibilities of the role in a way which reflects Save the Children’s commitment to safeguarding children in accordance the Child Protection Policy.
· Within reason, implement additional actions and responsibilities, as requested by your line manager
|BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
· holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
· holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
· sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
· widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
· future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
· builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
· values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
· approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
· develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
· willing to take disciplined risks.
· honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
· Ordinary National Diploma in Public Health, Community Health, community development or Social studies
· Experience from working as a Project Assistant in a humanitarian/recovery context
· Experience from working with WASH projects in a humanitarian/recovery context
· Excellent communication skills
· Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
· Commitment to the aims and principles of In particular, a good understanding of the SCI mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support
· Computer literate
· A moderate level of written and spoken English and good communication skills in Somali
|EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
· Knowledge of the operating context in Adado district of Galmudug state
· Experience of and ability to represent SCI work in external meetings.
· Experience of community mobilisations, distributions and hygiene promotion
· Ability to work both in an advisory and a hands on implementation capacity
· The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible, working away from home, and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
· Influencing skills and experience in advocacy
|Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
|Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
|JD written by:Abdiaziz(WASH PM)||Date:13/3/2018|
|JD agreed by:Abdiaziz (FC)||Date:14/3/2018|
All interested candidate are encouraged to forward a CVs and a mandatory application letter to this link:
with clear subject heading for the position
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted
The closing date is on 28th March 2018