WASH PROJECT ENGINEER
CARE INTERNATIONAL IN SOMALIA.
WASH PROJECT ENGINEER
CARE is an international NGO working in Somalia. CARE and its partners work with vulnerable communities to address the underlying causes of poverty and promote peace and development, as well as mitigating immediate suffering caused by drought, conflict and displacement. We invite applications from experienced and talented individuals to fill the WASH Project Engineer under Emergency Program. This position will be based in Garowe with substantive travel to project sites across Puntland.
- Position Summary
The WASH Project Engineer will be based in Garowe with field travels to WASH projects in Puntland. He/she will manage and provide technical support in both WASH sector and Food security CASH Programmes, through regular assessments, program design, management, capacity building and monitoring and evaluation. The incumbent will also provide both engineering and ‘software’ support to CARE Somalia’s program
Under the general guidance of the Emergency WASH Technical Manager, the WASH Project Engineer will undertake the following duties:
- Assesse and analyze public health needs and recommend sustainable solutions, to the WASH Technical Manager In liaison with relevant government ministries
- With support from the WASH Technical Manager, s/he will oversee the design, construction and rehabilitation of water, latrines, drainage and other relevant WASH facilities. Mets approved public health standards.
- Conduct hygiene promotion activities that increase community awareness in the host and IDP communities following PHAST, CHAST & CLTS methodologies.
- Undertake technical inspection of sanitary installations including latrines, pits, drainage systems and dome shape latrine slabs constructions.
- Ensure that internationally accepted and relevant standards such as the SPHERE standards, HAP, Somalia WASH guidelines, and protection principles are applied in all interventions and adopted.
- Participate in the Development of rapid response and contingency plans related to WASH program
- Assesse and advice on capacity building needs, of communities to the WASH Technical Manager to ensure effective development and transformation of beneficiaries’ quality standards of WASH activities, as well as sustainability of infrastructure.
- Prepare WASH field reports, guidelines and other strategic documentation
- Prepare bills of quantities for different works to be undertaken in WASH.
- Develop detailed rates for items of work based on current market conditions.
- Review WASH Activities on daily basis to ensure that the work is being done according to the work plans and technical specifications.
- Ensure the WASH Activities runs on schedule, managing schedules of work, and finding solutions to problems that may cause delays, such as the late arrival of materials;
- Participate in Provision of technical input in the general supervision, progress of WASH construction activities and control of quality of materials and workmanship
- Prepare documents for all stages of works e.g. work instruction letters, payment certificates, final handover and closure of WASH project documents.
- Maintain and update contract files on each WASH construction project.
- Roll out the WASH program for both IDPs and host community.
- Preparation of monitoring and evaluation reports on weekly basis.
- Documentation of lessons learnt in WASH programs for wider dissemination
- Update the 4W Matrix on monthly basis and submit to the WASH Technical Manager
- Represent CARE in the WASH cluster meetings and any other WASH related meetings and events
- Perform any other responsibilities deemed necessary or as delegated by the Emergency WASH Technical Manager or the Emergency Programme manager to meet the level of the services in the country office.
- Required qualifications and competencies:
- University degree in Civil Engineering, Water Engineering, or related course
- Minimum of 3 years of progressively relevant professional working experience in WASH related activities. At least 2 years of this experience should be with an international humanitarian organization, dealing with emergencies.
- Ability to coordinate and work with local partners to achieve a common objective in the area of WASH
- Demonstrated clear understanding of the water and sanitation situation in Somalia.
- Demonstrated experience in organizing and facilitating WASH related trainings.
- Ability to manage complex and demanding WASH programs.
- Proficiency in computer software and statistical packages.
- Fluency in English (both written and spoken).
- Knowledge of the local Somalia language is an added advantage
3.1 Core Competencies.
- People skills: ability to work independently and as a team player who demonstrates leadership and is able to support staff and counterparts and able to work with communities in a sensitive and participatory manner
- Communication skills: well developed written and oral communication skills. Able to communicate clearly and sensitively with internal and external stakeholders as a representative of CARE international Somalia on emergency WASH issues
- Integrity: working with trustworthiness and integrity and has a clear commitment to CARE core values and humanitarian principles
- Resilience /adaptability and flexibility: ability to operate effectively under extreme circumstances including stress, security risks and harsh operating environment
- Awareness and sensitivity of self and others: documents awareness and sensitivity to gender and diversity.
- Work style: Is well planned and organized even within a fluid working environment and has capacity for initiative and capacity and decision making with competent analytical and problem solving skills
How to Apply;
Interested candidates who meet the above criteria are encouraged to send their application letters and detailed
CV marked “WASH Project Engineer – based in Garowe to firstname.lastname@example.org by 20th October 2018.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For more information about CARE and its programs, visit www.care.org
CARE is an Equal Opportunity Employer, promoting gender, equity and diversity.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Our selection process reflects our
Commitment to the protection of children.