Administrative Support Assistant – Dhusomareeb, Galmudug, Somali
- Job category: Human Resource & Administration
- Post date:3 May 2021
- Job expires in: 5 days
- Share job:
Ref: DGGM/WHG/20/2021 April/ 2021
Ministry of Public Work, Reconstruction & Housing of Galmudug State of Somalia
Administrative Support Assistant (Urban Planning) at MoPWR&H
Country: Galmudug State of Somalia
Name of the Project: Ministry and UN-Habitat related to Urban Planning
Consulting Service: Administrative Support Assistant
Duty Station: Dhusomareeb
Deadline: 10thMay 2021
Ref No.: SOM-MoPWR&H- XXX-CS-INDV
Administrative Support Assistant (Urban Planning) at MoPWR&H
Galmudug State “Terms of Reference”
- Project Background and Description
The Galmudug State Ministry of Public Works, Reconstruction and Housing (MoPWR&H) is the responsible line ministry to deal with Urban Planning, formulating policy and regulations and providing technical support to the national and local governments on public infrastructure and urban management. It’s headquarter office is located in Dhusamareb and the ministry has regional and district level offices across the State. In recent years, the process of rapid urbanization has accelerated in Galmudug State, driven by high natural growth migration, conflict and climate change, causing many challenges to provide for basic urban services and to manage the growth of urban centers. However, state government and local authorities could not cope with most of these challenges adequately. One of the main reasons is the lack of qualified technical personal in the public sector, when it comes to complex urban management and integrated land use planning, as well as the lack of planning standards for sustainable urban development with clear roles and responsibilities for inclusive and participatory urban planning processes.
The Ministry of Public Works Reconstruction and Housing receives technical support for capacity building to fulfill its mandate through the UN Joint Programme on Local Governance, Somalia Programme (JPLG), jointly implemented by the following agencies: ILO, UNCDF, UNDP, UNICEF, and UN-Habitat.
Major activities of the cooperation between the Ministry and UN-Habitat related to Urban Planning in 2020/2021 are the following:
– Implementation urban planning activities incl. technical trainings for ministerial and district staff related to urban planning and urban management,
– Technical support for “MoPWR&H” to strengthening its capacity in spatial planning (data collection and resilience planning),
– Support for public awareness related to urban land management.
The Administrative Support Assistant (Urban Planning) consultancy will be supported through an Agreement of Cooperation between “MPWR&H” and UN-Habitat’s Somalia Programme, Regional Office for Africa (ROAF), under JPLG.
The Administrative Support Assistant (Urban Planning) will be working under the overall coordination of the Head of Projects at “MPWR&H”. She/he will be responsible to manage and coordinate financial and administrative aspects of various projects and capacity development activities linked to urban land management legislation and urban planning.
She/he will report to the Head of Projects at “MPWR&H”.
Due to many cross-cutting issues it is expected that the Administrative Support Assistant (Urban Planning) closely collaborates with the other departments of the ministry as well as with district councils and UN-Habitat’s National Programme Officer in Galmudug
The consultancy is linked to the willingness to undertake frequent missions to project districts.
The consultant will be paid upon agreed deliverables (work plan).
- Provide effective financial services,
- Assist in project budget management ,monitoring and reporting,
- Provide support in capacity Building activities
Within the delegated authority, the Administrative Support Assistant (Urban Planning) will be responsible for the following duties related to the above listed fields:
Financial and Project budget management duties
- Provide accounting support to the project activities and management team while ensuring compliance with the Ministry’s internal controls, UN-Habitat’s financial policy and budget restrictions as outlined in the Agreement of Cooperation between “MoPWR&H” and UN-Habitat;
- Record accounting transactions including coding of payment vouchers before making payments and ensure an efficient, proper and transparent financial filing system of all documents;
- Work with the UN-Habitat’s team to compile financial and progress reports in time; support for verifying the expenditure and liquidation report of the advance paid before requesting the subsequent payments;
- Prepare process and make payments as provided in the approved budget and as per procedures in “MoPWR&H”.
- Provide monthly financial and progress reports to the Head of Projects at “MPWR&H”.
- Support the administrative management of the projects, including financial, administrative and operational activities;
- Maintain project documents and information with confidentiality, ensuring that all records pertaining to the project are properly completed and stored in a secure place.
Capacity Development related activities
- In collaboration with the Technical Coordinator (Urban Planning) at the MoPWR&H, the Head of Projects of the Ministry and UN-Habitat team contribute in developing appropriate project planning and implementation mechanisms.
- Support the Technical Coordinator (Urban Planning) in organizing and conducting training on Urban Planning Capacity Building activities as per Agreement of Cooperation between MoPWR&H, and UN-Habitat;
- Support the Technical Coordinator (Urban Planning) in drafting, translating and printing and dissemination of awareness information about the Ministry to enhance the visibility of the project activities incl. support for social media work;
- Follow-up issues related to partner’s actions and propose appropriate solutions;
- Support in the preparation of activity plans, procurement plans and budgets for all activities;
- Any other duties assigned by the Director General of the Ministry.
- Other assignments upon request, for example finance-technical advice to the Head of Projects and the Minister.
The consultancy is expected to run through the duration of the Agreement of Cooperation between MoPWR&H and UN-Habitat with an expected completion by November 2021, and follows its implementation schedule. A comprehensive work plan will be elaborated and approved with the supervision of MoPWR&H and UN-Habitat‘s Somalia Programme, with the definition of detailed deliverables.
- Knowledge and understanding of basic accounting, financial procedures and administration skills;
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of generally accepted accounting procedures;
- Experience of systems audit and articulating/implementing recommendations
- Able to manage assigned work in professional manner, e.g. structured, forward looking, in time;
- Shows pride in work and in achievements; and also, persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges;
- Service oriented and loyal.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately;
- Can adjust communication style to various situations, for example presentation, planning discussion, inter-ministerial working group;
- Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals;
- Willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda;
- Supports and acts in accordance with decisions, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position;
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Planning & Organizing:
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies and work plans;
- Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for time contingencies; adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently;
- Report in time when challenges occur that hamper accomplishment of assigned tasks; foreseeing risks and allowing for contingencies when preparing work plans and project timelines;
- Maintain a close collaboration to project partners (service-oriented) and UN-Habitat.
- A first-level university degree in Commerce, Accounting or Business administration (finance or Accounting option) from a recognized university.
- Minimum of 3 years of progressively mid-level management experience with INGO’s in professional accounting and financial management. Work experience in government sector is an advantage.
- Strong written and oral skills in both Somali and English are a requirement.
- Knowledge of basic computer programmes such as Word, spread sheet, email and internet search functions are essential. Excellent knowledge in computers literate, proficient with excels and Financial Systems is highly preferred in this role.
- Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview. The recruitment process will be done in close collaboration of MoPWR&H and UN-Habitat.
- Job applications from qualified women will be highly welcomed.
- Internal candidates with required qualification and experience are highly encouraged
A Consultant will be selected in accordance with the Individual Consultant method set out in the “MPWR&H” RECRIUTMENT, SELECTION & APPOINTMENT POLICY
Interested applicants may obtain further information including a detailed Terms of Reference from the from the “MoPWR&H” website on: www.mpwr.so or upon submission of application to the following email address given below during office hours from 8.30 a.m.– 3.30 p.m. Saturday to Thursday.
Expressions of Interest must be delivered electronically to the above email address by 10th May, 2021 at 15:00 PM and indicate “Expression of Interest for “MoPWR&H.”
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, cc: email@example.com
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
1200 total views, 167 today