Area Advocacy, Campaigns, Communications and Media Manager – Hargeisa, Somaliland
For over 90 years, Save the Children has been making a difference in children’s lives in more than 120 countries. We are the world’s largest independent child rights organization. From emergency relief to long-term development, Save the Children secures a child’s right to health, education and protection. Save the Children is an equal opportunity organization dedicated to our core values of Accountability, Ambition, Collaboration, Creativity and Integrity. We are looking to recruit for this position to be based in Hargeisa
Position: Area Advocacy, Campaigns, Communications and Media Manager
Duration: 12 Months
Duty Station: Hargeisa
Please refer the below Job Description for the position description and the key selection criteria.
Interested candidates are required to submit a CV and mandatory cover letter quoting the Job Title on the subject line. The file name of the CV and attachments must be the applicants name and sent
to URL Link:
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Applications close on Thursday 28th January 2021 @ 11:59pm.
We work with children, communities and governments all over the world and we believe in the right person for the job regardless of where you come from and how you identify yourself. We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to ensuring that only those who are suitable to work with children are considered for these posts. All successful applicants will therefore be required.
|Area Advocacy, Campaigns, Communications and Media Manager|
|TEAM Advocacy, Campaigns, Communications and Media (ACCM)||LOCATION: Hargeisa, Somaliland|
|GRADE: TBC||POST TYPE: National|
Level 3: the role holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work in country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
|ROLE PURPOSE: The Area ACCM Manager is responsible for the delivery of the Country Programme’s ACCM strategy at area level, with supervision and support of Head of ACCM. Specifically, s/he will work very closely with area leadership team and Program Managers to ensure Save the Children’s effective engagement in policy influencing, developing content for internal and external audience, organising campaign events as well as engaging and maintaining relationship with the media to advance children’s agenda in the country. S/he is responsible for establishing and managing a proper internal system to manage and respond to communication requirements effectively and efficiently, both internally (from Members) and externally (donors, media, etc.)|
|SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Head of ACCM
Dimensions: Area Specific with ability and willingness to support other areas when needed.
Staff directly reporting to this post: Area ACCM Assistant
Internal: Matrix managed by Head of ACCM for work plans and sign-off procedures, Multi-area ACCM activities/projects, Member, SCI media team (GCCU/GMU) and National media with technical support provided by National Advocacy and Campaigns and media managers.
External: CSOs partners, child rights groups, Parent associations, media, Consultants, service providers, local authorities, and partners, international and domestic publics.
|KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
1. Policy and Advocacy:
· Lead in developing regular situational and contextual analysis to inform advocacy and influencing strategies in Somaliland
· Lead in engaging area specific area team to ensure our commitments to be the voice for children is applied across all levels of program planning and delivery.
· Represent Save the Children in Area advocacy forums with the support of National ACCM managers
· In collaboration with the National ACCM leads, Manage and maintain relationships with key stakeholder including relevant government officials, UN agencies, national and international CSOs to influence their priorities and agenda in line with the CO priorities
· With the support of National ACCM team, develop positions and key messages to support Area leadership team and programme managers to effectively engage in policy and decision-making processes.
· With the support of National ACCM team, take lead in developing policy positions and messages relevant to the area program to lobby for the adoption and implementation of the priority policies at area level.
· With the support and guidance of Campaigns and Communications manager (C&C) and PMs, lead in the implementation of campaign initiatives under Every Last Child campaign at area level.
· Lead in supporting SCI partners in developing and implementing campaign events under the ELC
· Lead public mobilization and engagements taking advantage of key national, regional and global moments identified in the campaign plan
· Support Save the Children engagement in regional and global campaigns linking online and offline campaign initiatives.
3. Internal and External Communications
· Lead in the delivery of national communications strategy at area level by ensuring that all communication products follow the agreed sign off protocols and are in line with the country communications strategy
· Ensure and safeguard the highest quality by completing a final check for all publications by Save the Children CO
· Build the capacity of Program teams compile cases studies and stories that communicate the impact of our work
· Ensuring communications and visibility materials produced at the area level comply with Save the Children’s communications and media protocols and donor guidelines
· Compile information materials relating to Save the Children Country Office for the purpose of institutional memory, informing partners of the programme of work and in support of the advocacy strategies developed by the CO;
· Work closely and support the program team in preparing communication products project briefs, report highlights, operational highlights etc. for the country office and area offices as requested.
· Review and verify facts for information and documents produced for the Save the Children Somalia/Somaliland CO as needed and forward to Head of ACCM for sign off
· To proactively establish and manage relationships with key local media houses
· To technically lead and manage videography/photography service providers and consultants
· Asses and evaluate media requests; assist journalist and photographer in coordinating media coverage of Save the Children Somalia/Somaliland program.
· Builds capacity of project staff, Focal Points and Partners to be able to capture and produce quality communication materials for profiling the Country Office, reporting and fund raising
· Promote internal information sharing and cross learning with the team
· Monitor external information sources (news sources, products, partner products etc.) relevant to Save the Children’s work in Somaliland, synthesize and share relevant briefs as appropriate.
|SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
· Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
· Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
· Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
· Future orientated, thinks strategically
· Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
· Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
· Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
· Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
· Willing to take disciplined risks
· Honest, encourages openness and transparency
|QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
· Degree in Social Science, Journalism, Information and Communication or Diploma with required experience
· Recommended a minimum at least five years of experience in advocacy , campaigns and communications management within an NGO or media house
· Excellent writing skills for the preparation of newsletters, brochures, documents, reports and correspondence
· Strong representational and communication skills
· Ability to lead and manage under pressure
· Ability to work calmly under pressure in a rapidly changing context
· Proven team management skills, adaptability and flexibility
· Ability and willingness to travel regularly into the field
· Experience of working in an insecure environment
· Experience of operations and logistics planning
· Fluency in written and spoken Somali
· Fluency in written and spoken English and computer literate.
· Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s policies and procedures.
· Experience of working for or with Save the Children, or a related rights or development organisation
· Research and information analysis skills and capacity to propose and coordinate relevant actions accordingly.
· Good interpersonal and communication skills.
· Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international and matrix management environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
· Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mind-sets.
· Ability and willingness to dramatically change work practices and hours, and work with incoming surge teams, in the event of emergencies
· Fluency in English, both verbal and written, required
· Commitment to Save the Children values
|Interested and qualified applicants can view the profile and apply for this position through the below URLs:-
Closing Date will be Thursday 28th January 2021 @ 11:59pm.
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
1061 total views, 16 today