- Job category: Coordinator
- Post date:8 Sep 2019
- Share job:
AREA COORDINATOR (AC): SOMALIA
|Last Update Sept 2019|
Position: Area Coordinator
DirectHierarchy: Deputy Country Director- Field Operations & Project Implementation Location: Somalia
Remuneration: Competitive Package Startingdate: October2019
Background on ACTED
ACTED is a French humanitarian NGO, founded in 1993, which supports vulnerable populations, affected by humanitarian crises worldwide. ACTED provides continued support to vulnerable communities by ensuring the sustainabilityofpost-crisisinterventionsandengaginglong-termchallengesfacingourtargetpopulations,inorderto break the poverty cycle, foster development and reduce vulnerability to disasters. Their interventions seek to cover themultipleaspectsofhumanitariananddevelopmentcrisesthroughamultidisciplinaryapproachwhichisbothglobal and local, and adapted to eachcontext.
ACTED is looking for professionally confident, self-motivated, experienced and committed team player to fill the
Area Coordinator Position in Somalia.
The Area Coordinator is responsible for representing ACTED`s interests with local authorities, donors, beneficiary communities and other key stakeholders. S/he is member of the senior management team and works to ensure program quality and operational implementation, as well as growth where appropriate and feasible, and strong representation. The Area Coordinator directly supervises Project Managers ensuring that projects and programs address beneficiary needs and are implemented according to ACTED’s global strategy, donor guidelines, approved work plans and budgets. The Area Coordinator also oversees day-to-day operations and security in the respective area.
Duties and Responsibilities:
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Contextanalysis:EnsureACTEDhasanup-to-dateunderstandingofthearea’ssocio-economicsituation, trends, needs and gaps, and who does what and where(3W)
- Strategy Implementation: Take a lead role in implemeting ACTED’s coutry program strategy in the area identifying strategic opportunities for expanding ACTED’s work in the area, and inparticular
- Identify new opportunities and new sectors ofintervention;
- Consolidate and stabilizateprogramming;
- Review the geographic and thematicfootprint;
- Ensure activities are relevant and meeting area/beneficiaryneeds;
- Identify ACTED added-value and ensure humanitarian principals are adheredto;
- Contribute to identifying new donors, private sector partners, national and international NGOs, think tanks, academia, etc. to work with in the area based on complementarity and addedvalue;.
1.3. Networking, positioning and generalrepresentation:
- Participate in donor meetings at area level and communicate relevant information to the Country Director and other relevantstaff;
- Establish, maintain and improve active and regular working relationships with other NGOs, UN agencies, clusters, working groups, consortia, etc. at area level ensuring maximum visibility of ACTED
- Establish, maintain, and improve active and regular working relationships with local authorities and where necessary non-state actors and obtain required authorizations and buy-in for ACTED’s activities at arealevel
- EnsureACTEDisrepresentedinkeyclusters,workinggroups,NGOcoordinationbodies,etc.atarea level
- Lead assessment(s) at area level to ensure proposals arerelevant
- SupporttheCountryDirectorandProjectDevelopmentDepartmentinproposalconceptualisation (problem statement, logframe) within the framework of the country, regional and globalstrategy
- Advocacy:Contributetodraftingissuespapers,advocacynotes,pressreleasesonrelevanthumanitarian and development issues in the area ofoperation
- Promotion of ACTED network: Keep abreast with and contribute to ACTED’s global initiatives and global trends, in particular Impact (REACH, Agora), Convergences andOxus
2. Management and InternalCoordination
- Ensurethatallstaffintheareaunderstandandareabletoperformtheirrolesandresponsibilities related to area operations and link with the capital Head ofDepartments
- Promote team building, productivity and staffwelfare
- Mentor and support the team to build capacities, and improve efficiency and performance, and follow careermanagement
- Manage interpersonal conflicts among staff at arealevel
- Facilitate interdepartmental communication and information sharing for a positive working environment
- Ensure implementation of ACTED coordination mechanism at area level (WAM, MAR, FLAT meeting,etc.)
3. Project ImplementationFollow-up
3.1. Project ImplementationTracking
- Supervise Project Managers in the area and provide support to project implementation through trouble shooting and eliminating blockingpoints
- Monitor output achievement, cash burn rates and ensure a time completion of projects through review of PMFs, BFUs and projectreports
- Ensure that relevant project information are up-to-date and available for reportingpurposes
- Ensure coordination and complementarity amongst projects within the area ofintervention
3.2. Project QualityControl
- Ensure the application of a practical field based M&E system/plan for eachproject
- Advise Project Managers to adapt projects according to monitoring and evaluationfindings
- Ensure beneficiary feedback mechanisms are inplace
- Ensure capitalisation of best practices and lessons learnt for projects in the area ofoperations.
- Identifypotentiallocalpartnersintheareabasedonanassessmentofcomplementarityandadded value
- Provide support to partners in project implementation and ensure timely and qualitative implementation of projects by partners in line with ACTED and donorrequirements
- Control project budgets at area level to avoid under/overspending
- Ensure accurate budget forecasting and efficient cash flowmanagement
- Ensure timely and accurate area finance TITANICreporting
4.2. Logistics & ITManagement
- Ensure timely procurement and adherence to rules of origin and nationality at arealevel
- Ensure quality supply management at arealevel
- Ensure proper asset management at area level and enforce asset investmentpolicy
- Ensure proper stock management at arealevel
- Ensure proper IT systems, data back-up and protection from malware at arealevel
- Ensure sufficient and reliable means of communication at arealevel
- Ensure timely and accurate area logistics TITANICreporting
4.3. Administration and HRManagement
- Ensure transparent and timely recruitment of national staff and contribute to international staff recruitment uponrequest
- Proactively adapt the staffing structure to needs andfunding
- Ensure regular performance appraisal and career management for staff at arealevel
- Ensure timely and accurate area HR TITANICreporting
- Ensure timely exitforms
- Minimize risk of fraud and corruption by ensuring adherence to ACTED FLATSprocedures
- Ensure that staff is aware of ACTED’s transparency and whistle blowingpolicy
- Analyse the security context at area level and in close collaboration with the Country Security Manager contribute to defining, analysing and evaluatingrisks
- Engage with relevant key stakeholders at area level to ensure access and support ofinterventions
- Address security and safety risks by implementing standard operating procedures defined for the area
- Ensure the offices and houses conform to recommended security, health and safetystandards
- Ensure all staff in the area adhere to securityprocedures
- Ensure security incidents at area level are promptly reported to thecapital
- Any other tasks as assigned by the LineManager.
- A Master’s degree in a relevant field such as Program Management, Development studies, Sociology or related
- More than 7 years in high level project management (management, planning, staff development and training skills) in emergency and/or developmentprogrammes.
- Proven capabilities in great leadership and management isrequired
- Excellent skills in written and spoken English; and fluent in Somali language will be an addedadvantage
- Ability to train, mobilize, and manage both international and nationalstaff
- Flexibility and ability to multi-task underpressure;
- Ability to work well in unstable and frequently changing securityenvironments
- Willingness to work and live in often remote areas under basicconditions;
- Proven ability to work creatively and independently both in the field and in theoffice;
Qualified Somali Nationals with the required skills are invited to submit their applications accompanied by detailed curriculum vitae and cover letter as a single document i.e. with the cover letter being on the first page and the CV starting on the second page, detailing three work related referees and contacts to email@example.com received on or before 5.00PM on 13th September 2019 with the subject line as;
APPLICATION FOR AREA COORDINATOR POSITION– SOMALIA. Note that Applications sent without this exact subject line will not be shortlisted.
Please do not attach any other documents while sending your applications, if required they will be requested at a later stage.
Please note that only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ACTED will at no stage of recruitment process request candidate to make payments of any kind. Further, ACTED has not retained any agent in connection with recruitments.
ACTED is committed to protecting beneficiaries within our programmes from exploitation and abuse and any kind of misconduct. ACTED has specific policies, including PSEA and Child Protection, which outlines the expected behaviorandtheresponsibilityofallstaff,beneficiaries,consultantsandotherstakeholdersandhaszerotolerance towardsmisconducts.AnycandidateofferedajobwithACTEDwillbeexpectedtosignACTED’sorganizational
Policies and Code of Conduct as an annex to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
ACTED is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
1975 total views, 4 today