Area Finance Manager
Save The Children
|Area Finance Manager|
|TEAM/PROGRAMME: Finance||LOCATION: Mogadishu|
|GRADE: 2||POST TYPE: National|
Level 3 – the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people
The purpose of this post is to ensure that the area office adheres to all its financial management obligations internally within Save the Children and externally with donors. The position will also function as a key and important link between the finance department and other functions within the area Operations and will work closely with the area representative, field staff, and Country Teams.
|SCOPE OF ROLE:
Direct Reports to: Area Representative
Technically Reports to: Finance Director
Staff directly reporting to this post: Area Finance Coordinator
Internal: Finance Team, Budget Holders, support staff, internal audit and the Country Finance Office.
External: Tax Offices, External Auditors, Regulatory Bodies, Bank, Insurance, Suppliers, Transporters, partners
|Key primary accountabilities
Strategic Financial Management
· Provide strategic finance support to the Area Senior Management Team; Master Budget development and monitoring in coordination with Awards, Operations, supply chain teams, and advice on how best to utilize the program’s funding portfolio.
· Monitor Area operations funding gab and ensure on time measures are in place for the Area and also field offices
· Provide a high standard financial accounting management, ensuring compliance to local statutory law and donors regulations and consistent with Save the Children accounting policies, procedures and tools.
Cost recovery, budgeting, and financial reporting
· Ensure preparation of donor financial reports and proposal budgets
· Ensure all donor financial compliance requirements are complied with and reports are prepared on time with complete audit trial.
· Prepare and disseminate timely and high quality monthly BVAs
· Maintain and update the staff funding trackers ‘Non thematic and cross thematic’ schedule for the area office on a monthly basis and share it with Head of Budgeting.
· Work with Budget holders to develop realistic and accurate phased budgets in line with the project implementation plans and monitor this monthly to ensure the relevant KPIs are met.
Financial Accounting and Systems
· Work with field staff to ensure that all financial transactions are recorded in an accurate and consistent manner and in accordance with agreed timelines and ensure that the monthly financial work plan is adhered to.
· Monitor coding of expenditures and ensure timely adjustments when activation of new awards with relevant audit trail
· Participation in internal and external audit exercises and subsequent implementation of the auditors’ recommendations.
· Ensure that at all stages of the program implementation, the control framework of the operation is consistent with the situation and ensure that necessary risks are taken knowingly with appropriate mitigating actions.
· Support Cash Transfer programming activities from feasibility assessment to implementation, and ensure accountability by enforcing adequate controls
· Ensure the program is adhering to Finance quality framework minimum standards, Country Office Finance Manual and other SCI financial policies including circulars, memos and guidance from the Finance Director, Regional Finance Office and the Centre.
· Prepare the monthly cash forecasts for the area office based on the planned programme activities and forward this to the Area Representative for approval with a breakdown for three trenches.
· Ensure access to cash for areas of operations by establishing effective banking arrangements or by ensuring safe cash in transit alternatives through implementation of emergency cash management guidelines
Resources and capacity building
· Assess new partner financial capacity and provide financial capacity building when relevant
· Assess finance surge staff requirements and structure in coordination with existing CO and RO finance team
· Strengthen the non-finance staff knowledge and capacity to manage finance by providing, induction, training and coaching consistent with their various roles and responsibilities.
· Run periodic trainings for all staff in the area, including budget holders and project staff, on efficient budget management and other SCI finance policies and procedures including Fraud and dishonesty and other compliance policies.
· Carry out periodic field visits in order to support and build capacities of the field finance teams in the area office and/or finance staff of local implementing partners.
|SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
Developing Self and Others (Accomplished)
· Coaches others to learn from their experiences on the job and to use the resources available to them
Problem Solving and Decision Making (Accomplished)
· Takes decisions when needed and is prepared to account for them
Working Effectively with Others Accomplished)
|QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
· A University degree in Commerce, Accounting or Business Administration (Finance or Accounting option) from a recognised university.
· A minimum of 3 years of progressively mid-level management experience with INGO’s in professional accounting and financial management.
· Demonstrated experience in working with local partners and supporting in building their capacity.
· Excellent knowledge and understanding of generally accepted accounting procedures
· Experience of systems audit and articulating/implementing recommendations
· Good personal organisational skills, including time management, and ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure
· Ability to work within a multicultural setting
· Training skills
· Experience working in difficult and/or emergency environments.
· Computers literate, proficient with excel and computerised accounting packages.
· High level of integrity and ability to work as part of a professional team
· Ability and willingness to work under high pressure travel to field offices and to meet tight deadlines.
Please apply in English saving your CV and covering letter as a single document. To apply the position please visit the below link
Application will be closed on 4rd Dec 2019.
|Date of issue: November 2019 Author: Finance Director|
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
1753 total views, 10 today