Assistant Program Officer – Agriculture and Livestock – Jowhar, Somalia
- Job category: Agriculture/Environment/Farming
- Post date:21 Jul 2021
- Job expires in: 1 day
- Share job:
|Position Title: Assistant Program Officer – Agriculture and Livestock|
|Duty Station: Jowhar|
|Position Category: Full-time|
Mercy Corps Somalia aims to strengthen systems and mechanisms that enable sustainable development, emergency response and peaceful processes through high quality and high impact programming in Somaliland, Puntland and the South-Central of Somalia, i.e. all over Somalia. Mercy Corps assists communities in Somalia to transition from crisis to transformative recovery and sustainable development. We currently implement programs that address IDP and returnees needs in terms of education, health, conflict mitigation management, livelihoods and emergency response with an orientation towards early recovery. We aim to expand our programs that strengthen and diversify livelihoods and ensure food security and resilience throughout the country. In our continued response to emergency and disaster, Mercy Corps seeks to hire an Assistant Program Officer with background and/or experience in Agriculture and Livestock for its Somalia Emergency Assistance and Early Market Recovery Program (SEAM II), funded by the USAID/BHA.
Describe overview of job mission
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
The Assistant Program Officer (APO) – Agriculture and Livestock is responsible for the day to day implementation of the planned activity components under the Agriculture and Livestock activities in the SEAM II Program. Working and the direction of the Program Team Lead and technically under the Livestock Specialist, the APO will work closely both with program and support staff (including finance, administration and program) in Mogadishu and other Mercy Corps field offices to ensure the day to day activities are implemented according to schedule, budget and required quality. The APO will have to coordinate closely with the different clusters, i.e. WASH, Protection and Health/Nutrition Clusters. Similarly, the APO has to closely coordinate with the Local Administration, the IDP and host community leaders, and other key program stakeholders to achieve the program goals and ensure that all activities to be implemented on demand-driven; and communities mobilized in a participatory way. He/she will have to show full adherence to Mercy Corps procedures, policy and security protocols.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Conduct periodic need assessment and prepare activity papers and documentations
- Maintain close working relationship with local authorities, INGOs and Local NGOs
- Foster a collaborative team atmosphere which engages the stakeholder.
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and not to jeopardize its humanitarian mission
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management and supervisor in the area of duty station
- Ensure proper filing of documents
- Representations at cluster meetings at the field level.
- Promote and share ideas for improvement of the program unit
- Field data information and data collection to inform program design and planning
- Support the implementation of the activities under the Agriculture and Livestock in SEAM II Program.
- Document good practices and lessons, testimonies and stories for program learning from field visits, surveys and assessments that have been done
- Work with all MC staff to compile all program related documentations for SEAM II Program coverage areas in the South-Central of Somalia as may be required from time to time.
- Perform any other assigned duty by Mercy Corps Somalia.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITY: N/A
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Program Team Lead
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH:
Other program staff, finance officers, logistics officers, human resources and administration officers.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- At least a Diploma or relevant qualification in the field of livestock of the development for national and international relief and development organization in a similar role, ability to multitask and make decisions, experience in working effectively with minimum supervision.
- At least one year of work experience with an NGO in a similar capacity, one operating in the South-Central of Somalia is extremely desirable.
- Knowledge of the Somalia legal and tax system regarding NGO operation is desired.
- Commitment to local capacity building and the ability to engage local stakeholders in program design and implementation.
- Ability to work simultaneously on multiple tasks and keeps to deadlines.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Somali people’s culture and political set up.
- Strong team player and effective communicator.
- Willing to interact effectively with international and national personnel and other partners.
All interested candidates both internally and externally are encouraged to apply for this position and submit their applications (cover letter, updated CV and contacts of 3 professional referees) through https://www.mercycorps.org/careers/national only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Mercy Corps is committed to protecting beneficiaries within our programmes from exploitation and abuse and any kind of misconduct. Mercy Corps has specific policies, including PSEA and Child Protection, which outlines the expected behavior and the responsibility of all staff, beneficiaries, consultants and other stakeholders and has zero tolerance towards misconducts. Any candidate offered a job with A Mercy Corps will be expected to sign organizational Policies and Code of Conduct as Mercy Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Deadline for Applications: 29July, 2021
——- NAGUSOO BIIR — SOMALI JOBS————-
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somalijobs
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
1985 total views, 3 today