- Job category: Consultancy
- Post date:18 Nov 2019
- Job expires in: Endless
- Share job:
Organization: Southern Aid
Position: Career counsellor
Duty Station: Kismayo
Date of issue: 16-11-2019
Closing date: 21-11-2019
SOUTHERN AID is an African-based Non –Governmental Organization implementing several humanitarian projects including health/nutrition, livelihood and food-security programs in different locations of Somalia with the aim of alleviating poverty and fostering sustainable development practices in arid and semi-arid (ASAL) areas of the regions dominated by nomadic pastoral communities. SOUTHERN AID currently Partnered with IOM on community based case management during reintegration phase of the national program on disengaged combatantsfor Males in Kismayo Rehabilitation Centre. We are willing to employ highly motivated and experienced person to fill the position described below.
community based case management during reintegration phase of the national program on disengaged combatants for males in Kismayo is three months program that aims to provide proper transitional plan for the graduating combatants undertaking outreach services monitoring the progress at the community level.
Career Counsellor and Trainer to support beneficiaries in achieving livelihood goals. The position involves counselling beneficiaries regarding educational, vocational, and career goals and planning and facilitating life skills training to teach beneficiaries conflict resolution, emotion management, leadership and to facilitate employment. The position will work closely with career counsellor and other instructors at IOM DDR Rehabilitation centre.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The career counselor will be required to carry out;
- Help beneficiaries identify personal strengths and skills based on educational background, employment history, and career goals;
- Advice the beneficiaries to exploit their potential skills and talents after their graduation
- Refer the beneficiaries where necessary to technical institution that offer skills training in Kismayo
- Provide beneficiaries with information and strategies for excelling in the workplace and dealing with job dissatisfaction;
- Record key marketable business ideas from graduating beneficiaries
- Identify individual barriers to employment and assess need for further training.
- Assist beneficiaries with job readiness skills, job search strategies, and preparing for job interviews;
- Collect labor market information to identify job opportunities for beneficiaries;
- Visit businesses and educational institutions (including other UN agencies and NGOs) to identify job opportunities and educational/capacity-building opportunities for beneficiaries;
- Develop relationships with private and public sector to create linkages for job placement opportunities for beneficiaries.
- Life Skills Training
- Conduct life skills training to teach psychosocial skills such as decision-making, conflict resolution, and emotions management, among others;
- Create, update and maintain training materials, manuals, handouts, practice exercises and administrative documentation;
- Maintain standardized student assessments and record keeping system for student progress and attendance;
- Work with social workers to ensure that student case files are maintained properly and student progress reports are reviewed periodically to reflect individual progress towards goals;
- Participate in needs and interest assessments and regularly monitor beneficiaries’ well-being and needs;
- Establish rapport/trust with beneficiaries;
- Integrate a variety of teaching strategies and curriculum content;
- Give explanations, reasonable and appropriate assignments, and directions clearly;
- Organize the classroom to contribute to the learning process
- Perform any other task assigned by the line manager
Qualification, Skills and Experience:
- Diploma in a relevant field and Minimum of 3 years of experience teaching adults or two years providing psychosocial support services to vulnerable populations
- Minimum of two years of demonstrable relevant Social Development experience.
- Ability and willingness to work under pressure.
- Knowledge of English and Somali language.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to manage a complex and diverse workload, and meet deadlines.
- Respectful and appropriate attitude towards the community.
- Ability to contribute as team member, and working collaboratively with colleagues.
- Proficiency in using computer applications including Excel and MS Word
HOW TO APPLY:
Candidates who meet the above requirements should send cover letter and updated C.v to Email:firstname.lastname@example.org later than 21stNovember 2019. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
1667 total views, 2 today