Chief Accountant – Hargeisa, Somaliland
- Job category: Accountant/Finance/Budget Affairs
- Post date:30 May 2020
- Share job:
Position: Chief Accountant
Department: Finance and Accounting
Reporting to: Chief Financial Officer
Location: Hargeisa, Somaliland
We are seeking a highly skilled and experienced Chief Accountant to join our growing company. The chief Accountant will be responsible for the general accounting activities of the organizationand assist the CFO preparation of accounting and financial reports.
Sompower was incorporated in 2016, with main objectives to provide affordable, safe, and reliable electricity services to the people of Somaliland. For the last decade, Sompower has slowly involved from more than 39 small utility companies that used to operate Hargeisa’s electricity since 1990’s. Currently, it is the largest electricity provider in Somaliland with the generation, transmission and distribution facilities spanning from the capital city of Hargeisa and western regions in Somaliland (Gebilley, Wajale&Arabsia). Sompower has implemented different renewable energy projects like Solar and wind.With this unique background, Sompower envisions to continue to shape the electricity industry of the country for the better of the country’s businesses, investment landscape and for all citizens by modernizing its facilities and way of conducting business in Somaliland.
Directs and organizes all general accounting activities and accounting staff. Prepares accounting and financial reports. Ensures completeness, accuracy, and timeliness of accounting records. Also ensures accounting systems are in control and takes necessary steps to minimize risk to the organization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Maintains the general ledger and all related accounts with proper documentation and records of all company transactions; reviews entries to the general and subsidiary ledgers to assure accuracy and compliance with the company’s and established accounting principles; controls all changes to chart of accounts. Responsible for monthly and year-end closing of the general ledger including preparation of journal entries.
- Responsible for maintaining computerized accounting system and takes daily backups.
- Administers preparation of interim, year-end, and comparative financial reports; performs and provides analysis of current results to prior periods and/or budget.
- Stays current with developments, practice trends, and promulgations in the accounting profession; monitors accounting systems and recommends new or revised policies and procedures.
- Prepares monthly bank reconciliation for all accounts; verifies accuracy of bank statements and resolve questions or problems with the consultation of the CFO; maintains integrity of cash balances and cash flow systems.
- Responsible for review and preparation of payroll records and processing of payroll checks and reports by outside payroll service.
- Maintains fixed asset records, determines depreciation terms/rates to apply to capitalized items.
- Assures protection for the assets of the business through internal control, internal auditing, and assuring proper insurance coverage.
- Assists the CFO in coordinating the year-end financial audit requirement and preparing schedules and documents for independent (third-party) auditors.
- Ensures the implementation of accounting policies, coordination of systems and procedures, and the preparation of operating data and special reports as required, including interim and year-end financial statements. Maintains company’s system of accounts; keeps books and records on all company transactions and assets.
- Establishes, coordinates, and administers as an integral part of management, an adequate plan for the control of operations including, profit planning, programs for capital investing and financing, sales forecasts, expense budgets, and cost standards, together with necessary controls and procedures to effectuate the plan.
- In conjunction with the CFO coordinates, reviews, and endorses budget proposals and discusses proposed changes and significant changes.
- Compares performance with operating plans and standards, and reports and interprets the results of operations to management.
- Provides for the control and editing of all company orders, to insure conformity to established policies and procedures, and to facilitate data control and retrieval of records generated by these orders.
- Others duties as assigned
Qualifications and Job Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business administration or related filed from a reputable university (MBA preferred)
- Professional accounting designation (CA, ACCA or CPA) is a strong advantage.
- 6+ years’ experience in a senior accounting position
- Proficient in the use of accounting and financial software packages (QuickBooks, ERPs and billing systems)
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Exceptional time management and ability to problem solve under pressure
- Results-driven personality eager to partner with upper management to organize, plan and achieve company financial goals
How to Apply
Applicants who meet the above requirements should submit their CVs with application letter by email to email@example.com
The closing date is 10thJune 2020 at 6:00pm. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
4407 total views, 4 today