Child Protection Assistant – Burao
- Job category: Protection Affairs
- Post date:3 Feb 2020
- Job expires in: Endless
- Share job:
Save The Children
|Child Protection Assistant – Burao|
|TEAM/PROGRAMME: Program team,Burao – Somaliland||LOCATION: Burao|
|GRADE: 5||POST TYPE: National (12 Months)|
Level 3 – the responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people
Under the direct guidance of Burao Field Manager and Child protection officer or Coordinator or Manager. The Child Protection assistant will be responsible forimplementation of Child protection activities and closely monitoring of activities to be done by the partner.
|SCOPE OF ROLE:
Functionally Reports to: Field Manager – Programmatically to Child Protection
Dimensions: Save the Children works in 18 regions in Somalia/Somaliland with a current staff complement of approximately 450 staff and current expenditure of approximately USD 100 million each year.
Staff directly reporting to this post:None
Internal: All staff of SC in Somaliland and other field offices
External:community structures, local Implementing partners and Government authorities.
|KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
The CP Project Assistant will:
· Inform the community of Save the Children’s intervention, as well as other child protection services available, including Child Friendly Spaces
· Close collobaration and working with local implementing partner
· Sometimes undertakes implementing partner monitoring and takes part or witness partner activities implementations.
· Identify children in need of support, and report these to identified focal points in the community, service providers, other NGOs, or to Save the Children focal point
· Identify children not accessing protection services and flag these to Save the Children’s focal point
· Work with Case Management team to identify common themes on Child Protection that need awareness raising in the community
· Support the community mobilization team to organize events for raising awareness on Child Protection
· Provide information and advice on existing social services and how to access them
· Work in close collaboration with the community mobilisers to strengthen our relationship with the community and to strengthen the referral system
· Work with communities and specifically the child protection committees (where existing) to identify and manage child protection cases within the community
· Facilitate, collect and report information regarding the overall situation of child protection risks, with particular attention on vulnerable/at-risk children
· Support identification of children not accessing services, including Child Friendly Spaces, and work with team to help these children overcome the barriers of acces
|SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our SCI Competencies in Practice)
Takes personal responsibility and holds others to account to deliver our ambitious goals for children, continually improving own performance or that of the team.
· Delivers timely and appropriate results using available resources
· Takes responsibility for their work and its impact on others
· Plans, prioritises and performs tasks well without needing direct supervision
· Understands the link between their work and the organisation’s objectives
Problem solving and decision making
The Assistant may not take decision without involvement of sectoral management and fiel management but can take effective, considered and timely decisions by gathering and evaluating relevant information within the assigned tasks surrounding challenges with implementation of the selected partner and making appropriate judgements after asking advise from the respective line managers.
· Gathers the right information and uses critical thinking to make effective and timely decisions
· Stays with a problem or challenge until a solution is reached or no longer reasonably attainable.
· Knows when to involve others in a decision
· Demonstrates awareness of the wider external influences that impact on decision making
· Simplifies processes and procedures wherever possible
Working effectively with others
Works collaboratively to achieve shared goals and thrives on diversity of people and perspectives. Knows when to lead and when to follow and how to ensure effective cross-boundary working.
· Actively listens to new and different perspectives and experiences of those they work with
· Proactively supports team members and trusts their capabilities
· Demonstrates understanding of their skills and how they complement those of others within diverse teams and groups
|QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
· University Bachelor’s Degree public health / degree in sociology, social sciences, public administration, community development, arts, social administration.
· Experience working with children in child protection/social work
· Commitment to child protection and respect of the best interest of the child
· Understanding of protection concerns for children
· Strong interpersonal skills, ethical sensitivity and ability to empathize with children and their careers
· Experience in community mobilization and conducting outreach activities
· Good communication skills with fluency in written and spoken English and Somali
· Strong motivation and willingness to work with children for their wellbeing
· Ability to work under pressure and willingness to work flexible hours when necessary.
· Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values and principles including rights-based approaches
|CHILD SAFEGUARING POLICY:
We work with children, communities and governments all over the world and we believe in the right person for the job regardless of where you come from and how you identify yourself. We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to ensuring that only those who are suitable to work with children are considered for these posts. All successful applicants will therefore be required to complete a Police Check and must sign onto our Child Protection Policy and organizational Code of Conduct.
CODE OF CONDUCT
Because Save the Children’s work is based on deeply held values and principles, it is essential that our commitment to children’s rights and humanitarian principles is supported and demonstrated by all members of staff. Save the Children’s Code of Conduct sets out the standards which all staff members must adhere to.
Interested candidates are required to apply through the below link:
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer. Women are strongly encouraged to apply
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
1657 total views, 49 today