Child Welfare Officer – Jigjiga, Somali Regional State of Ethiopia
- Job category: Child Affairs
- Post date:13 Jul 2021
- Share job:
July 13, 2021
Post Title: Child Welfare Officer
Report to: Child Welfare Program Coordinator
Duty Station: Somali Regional State, Jigjiga
Salary: As per the organizations scale
Duration: One Year with possible extension
Islamic Relief is an international relief and development charity founded in 1984 with its headquarters in Birmingham, UK. As well as responding to disasters and emergencies, Islamic Relief promotes sustainable economic and social development by working with local communities – regardless of race, religion or gender. The office officially started operation in Ethiopia in 2004. Islamic Relief Ethiopia (IRE) is operational in the Somali Regional State with a base office in Jigjiga, Hargelle, Elkere, Bare and Dekasuftu, Afar Regional State; Ewa, Awra and Gulina; Oromia regional State, West Harergeye, Chiro and Meiso Woredas and an additional operational office in Addis Ababa. For more information please visit our website: http://www.islamic-relief.org/work-with-us
Jointly plan, monitor and evaluate the child welfare program of IR with the focus towards fulfillment of the basic needs of identified and sponsored vulnerable orphan children, inject innovative ideas that contributes towards enhancement of welfare of vulnerable orphan children, reporting and documentation; facilitates training programs for guardians, volunteers and community members on child welfare issues in general and vulnerable orphan children in particular, makes sure sponsored orphans financial supports and other related supports provided by the organization reached the targeted beneficiaries in time, make sure that annual sponsored orphans progress reports are compiled and submitted on time.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Sponsorship: Identify and register orphans for possible sponsorship on the basis of criteria set by IRW/IRE. Ensure that all the sponsored orphans have bank accounts. Ensure that all sponsored children have received their financial support regularly and in time. Identify sponsored orphans who have different social problems and link them with youth groups to engage them in different leisure activities for positive development.
2. Feedback/Development: Facilitates training programs, workshops and discussion forums for guardians, volunteers and community members to enhance community understanding towards child welfare. Organize and facilitate psychosocial counseling for sponsored orphan children who are victims of different abuses. Facilitate peer to peer counseling programs in collaboration with the youth groups to develop positive self-assertiveness of sponsored orphan children.
3. Program development: Identify and suggest feasible project ideas for interventions to enhance the welfare of the sponsored families. Initiate creative ideas for community sponsorship to replace one to one in the long run.
4. Teamwork: Participate in general programme issues, annual review, proposal writing, reporting, staff development…etc
5. Community Mobilization: Identify individuals from community members who can play community mobilization role towards identifying guardians for orphan children who lost both parents and do not have any one to take care of them.
6. Networking/Managing Relationship: Establish and strengthen net working with different organizations that are working in the area of children.
7. Monitoring & Evaluation: Undertakes situation analysis of sponsored vulnerable orphan children establishes baseline data for impact monitoring and systematically documents program results;
8. Reporting/Documentation: Ensure that all sponsored children’s progress reports are compiled in time. Monitors and systematically documents program results;
9. Performs other related tasks as required.
Job and Skill Requirements
- BA degree in sociology/psychology/social work/management or any other relevant field of study + 4 years’ experience in child focused organizations aid projects.
- Well-developed interpersonal and team skills and proven ability to be flexible in demeaning situations. Proven skills in child focused project management-planning, design, implementation, M&E, proven skills in orphan children support project/organizations, Demonstrated skills aid behavior in community awareness raising and organization, demonstrated ability in report writing skills, working knowledge of computer software, word-processing, spreadsheets, database and internet. Previous work experience, ideally with non-governmental organizations would be an advantage.
- Good written and spoken English and local language (Somali) is Mandatory. Good communication, public and interpersonal relations, commitment to the humanitarian principles and action.
- Female candidates are highly encouraged.
Safeguarding and Equal Opportunity
Islamic Relief and Islamic Relief staff considers the welfare and protection of children, young people and people at risk to be paramount to the organization. And must adhere the principle of ‘do no harm and leave no one behind.’ It is critical we do not expose communities or staff we work with to the risk of harm through our interventions. With a zero tolerance approach Islamic Relief have a number of related policies which also describe standards in behavior expected from the organization, its staff and representatives towards each other and those we serve. Islamic Relief is committed to responding swiftly, appropriately and constructively to any and all information children, young people and people at risk have disclosed.
All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks. We participate in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme and will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and child abuse during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment before signing the contract agreement.
Islamic Relief believes everyone has the right to be safe, respected and valued regardless of who they are or their circumstances, and an equal employment opportunity to all candidates and qualified applicants, we do not discriminate on the base of age, sex, race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability status and diversity.
How to Apply
- Interested candidates are required to submit a complete Job application form with all required supporting documents (copy of credentials and testimonials) through Ethiopia.HR@islamic-relief.org.et.
- You can access the Job Application Form with this link: http://www.islamic-relief.org.et/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Employment-Application-form-1.docx. Failure to follow the instructions will invalidate your application.
- Closing date for the application is July 27, 2021.
- Due to the high volume of application, we regret that we will be able to contact only the shortlisted candidates.
——- NAGUSOO BIIR — SOMALI JOBS————-
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somalijobs
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
736 total views, 4 today