Communications and Media Intern- Mogadishu
- Job category: Sales/Marketing/Communication
- Post date:8 Feb 2020
- Job expires in: 3 days
- Share job:
Communications and Media Intern–Mogadishu- Somali Nationals Only
Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.9 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.
Following a major transition, our international programmes are now delivered through a merged operation with 15,000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office. We’re changing to become more efficient, more aligned, a better partner, a stronger advocate, a magnet for world-class people and relevant for the 21st century.
Save the Children in Somalia implements various programmes / projects to support both vulnerable communities in emergencies and in development for Somalia. The Communications Intern will play significant role for meeting the information and communication needs of Save the Children interventions in Somalia, including increasing and/or standardizing visibility and ensuring consistent program communications. The function will support the collection, sharing of information and communication products including sitreps, case studies, human interest stories, success stories and collection of high quality photos with captions. Under the supervision of ACCM Coordinator, the function will ensure compliance with Save the Children’s communications and media guidelines and protocols in relation to external and internal communication. The function will also support the preparation and dissemination of internal updates from projects
Reports to:ACCM Coordinator
Country Dimensions: Save the Children has been working in Somalia for more than 60 years. The Country Office has over 500 staff across 14 field offices (Boroma, Burao and Hargeisa in Somaliland; Bosasso, Garowe, Galkayo and Gardo in Puntland; Beletweyne, Adaado, Abudwak, Baidoa, Kismayo, Dhobley and Mogadishu in Central South Somalia). Our Country Office coordination and administration base is in Nairobi, Kenya. In 2017, as a result of significant scale up for the countrywide drought response, our annual spend FY2017 was US$117 million and we reached more than 2 million people through our humanitarian and longer term development work in Health, Nutrition, Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH), Education, Food Security and Livelihoods (FSL), Child Protection and Child Rights Governance. The Country Office manages 61 active awards totalling US$165 million from a range of governmental/institutional donors, including DFID, ECHO, EU, FFP, OFDA, and DANIDA being some of our largest.
Staff directly reporting to this post: None
|Communications and Media Intern|
|TEAM/PROGRAMME: Advocacy, Campaigns, Communications and Media (ACCM)||GRADE: N/A|
|LOCATION: Mogadishu||POST TYPE: National|
Level 3: The responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with or access to children or young people.
Save the Children in Somalia implements various programmes/ projects to support both vulnerable communities in emergencies and in development forSomalia. The Communications Internwill play significant role for meeting the information and communication needs of Save the Children interventions in Somalia, including increasing and/or standardizing visibility and ensuring consistent program communications. The function will supportthe collection, sharing of information and communication products including sitreps, case studies, human intereststories, success stories and collection of high quality photos with captions. Under the supervision of ACCM Coordinator, the function will ensure compliance with Save the Children’s communications and media guidelines and protocols in relation to external and internal communication. The function will also support the preparation and dissemination of internal updates from projects.
|SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: ACCM Coordinator
Staff directly reporting to this post: None
|KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
· To assistthe development of communication materials to support the achievement of Save the Children Somalia programs
· Support in the compilation, design and dissemination of information and communication material on Save the Children’s programs in Somalia.
· Under the supervision of ACCM Coordinator,raise the visibility and profile of donor funded projects in line with the global communications and donor visibility strategy
· Support the ACCM team on administrative documentation in Somalia.
· Research and monitor developments of external issues of significance to Save the Children’s programming in Somalia (including but not limited to through media monitoring) and circulate analysis of these to relevant stakeholders.
· Review case studies/outcome stories and process to approval procedure.
· Assist with external editors, designers and printers to develop quality documents for Save the Children’sprogrammes in Somalia and ensure the standardization of the Save the Children’sBrand in Somalia.
· Liaise closely with programme teams to ensure coordination of activities on the ground – photos and videos are captured, proper consent forms are signed, and that log lists and captions are recorded.
· Assist and contribute the production of the situation reports for emergency/humanitarian projects in Somalia
· Other tasks assigned by the line manager
|COMPETENCIES AND BEHAVIOURS
· Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
· Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
· Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
· Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
· Future orientated, thinks strategically
· Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
· Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
· Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
· Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
· Willing to take disciplined risks
· Honest, encourages openness and transparency
|QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
· Degree in Business Administration, Journalism or requisite experience
· At least 1 year of proven experience in communications work, preferably in NGOs work
· Excellent writing and oral skills in English and Somali
· Knowledge ofofficesuite, desktop publishing, printing and publishing
· Excellent communication skills and ability to work in a diverse multi-ethnic team
· Excellent time management, organizational abilities, and proven capacity to work to deadlines under pressure
· Experience and ability to work with teams
· Knowledge and willingness to adhere to Save the Children’s policies with respect to child protection, health and safety, equal opportunities, gender, fraud and dishonesty policy.
· Willing and able to travel 30% of the time within Somalia.
|CHILD SAFEGUARDING POLICY:
Any employee, consultant, contractor or the supplier undertaking an activity on behalf of SCI must sign the Child Safeguarding – Declaration of Acceptance Form] and comply with the SCI’s Child Safeguarding Policy which is a statement of SCI’s commitment to preventing abuse and protecting children with whom it comes into contact.
This extends not only to children with whom SCI and its partners work directly, but also includes children whom staff are responsible for. SCI believes that the situation of children must be improved through the promotion of their rights supported and demonstrated by all members of staff. Save the Children International’s Code of Conduct sets out the standards which all staff members must adhere to.
|CODE OF CONDUCT
Because Save the Children’s work is based on deeply held values and principles, it is essential that our commitment to children’s rights and humanitarian principles is supported and demonstrated by all members of staff. Save the Children’s Code of Conduct sets out the standards which all staff members must adhere to.
QUALIFICAITONS, EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- Degree in Business Administration, Journalism or requisite experience
- At least 1 year of proven experience in communications work, preferably in NGOs work
- Excellent writing and oral skills in English and Somali
- Knowledge of office suite, desktop publishing, printing and publishing
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work in a diverse multi-ethnic team
- Excellent time management, organizational abilities, and proven capacity to work to deadlines under pressure
- Experience and ability to work with teams
- Knowledge and willingness to adhere to Save the Children’s policies with respect to child protection, health and safety, equal opportunities, gender, fraud and dishonesty policy.
- Willing and able to travel 30% of the time within Somalia.
Additional job responsibilities
The job duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the post holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
Please apply in English saving your CV and covering letter as a single document. To see a full a job description, please visit our website at www.savethechildren.net/jobs
Application will be closed on 18th February 2020.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. Employment is subject to our Child protection standards including background checks and adherence to our Child Safeguarding Policy
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified talent.
Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process and does not act through recruitment agents
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
803 total views, 33 today