Community mobilization officer (2 positions)– Mogadishu, Somalia
- Job category: Community Affairs
- Post date:22 Nov 2020
- Job expires in: 8 days
- Share job:
Community mobilization officer (2 positions)– Mogadishu – Somali-National only
Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.9 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.
Following a major transition, our international programmes are now delivered through a merged operation with 15,000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office. We’re changing to become more efficient, more aligned, a better partner, a stronger advocate, a magnet for world-class people and relevant for the 21st century.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
ROLE PURPOSE: The core function of this position is to implement Community mobilization activities under the USAID- funded, Accelerated Quality Learning for Somali Children and Youth program. The Community Mobilization Officer will lead all community mobilization activities within program targeted communities around educational centers ensuring the participation of community members in decision making, as well as their buy-in to key project messages. Part of this role will include managing of community mobilization activities, planning of activities in the field, monitoring of implementation and supporting logistics needs of the community mobilization component, contribution to the preparation of printed and other materials for BCC component. To be responsible for the Community Mobilization in agreement with the line manager, and the Teacher Education Officer along whom the position holder will closely work, the job holder will also work alongside other players on the day-to-day planning, coordination, and reporting on the component deliverables towards achieving the programme objectives.
SCOPEE OF ROLE:
Direct Reports to: Program Coordinator
Dimensions: Save the Children has been working in Somalia for more than 60 years. The Country Office has over 500 staff across 14 field offices (Boroma, Burao and Hargeisa in Somaliland; Bosasso, Garowe, Galkayo and Gardo in Puntland; Beletweyne, Adaado, Abudwak, Baidoa, Kismayo, Dhobley and Mogadishu in Central South Somalia). Our Country Office coordination and administration base is in Nairobi, Kenya. In 2017, as a result of significant scale up for the countrywide drought response, our annual spend FY2017 was US$117 million and we reached more than 2 million people through our humanitarian and longer term development work in Health, Nutrition, Water, Sanitation & Hygiene (WASH), Education, Food Security and Livelihoods (FSL), Child Protection and Child Rights Governance. The Country Office manages 61 active awards totalling US$165 million from a range of governmental/institutional donors, including DFID, ECHO, EU, FFP, OFDA, and DANIDA being some of our largest
|Job Title: Community mobilization officer (2 positions)|
|TEAM/PROGRAMME: Education||LOCATION: Mogadishu|
|GRADE: 4||CONTRACT Length: one year|
Level: the role holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work in country programs; or are visiting country programs; because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
|ROLE PURPOSE: The core function of this position is to implement Community mobilization activities under the USAID- funded, Accelerated Quality Learning for Somali Children and Youth program. The Community Mobilization Officer will lead all community mobilization activities within program targeted communities around educational centers ensuring the participation of community members in decision making, as well as their buy-in to key project messages. Part of this role will include managing of community mobilization activities, planning of activities in the field, monitoring of implementation and supporting logistics needs of the community mobilization component, contribution to the preparation of printed and other materials for BCC component. To be responsible for the Community Mobilization in agreement with the line manager, and the Teacher Education Officer along whom the position holder will closely work, the job holder will also work alongside other players on the day-to-day planning, coordination, and reporting on the component deliverables towards achieving the programme objectives.|
|SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: [ Programme Coordinator]
Dimensions: Save the Children works in 4 regions in Somalia/Somaliland with a current staff complement of approximately 350 staff and current expenditure of approximately GBP 30 million each year
Staff directly reporting to this post: Nil
|KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Implementation of Community Mobilization activities
· In consultation with the Programme coordinator, plan for community awareness and mobilization activities raise awareness on the value of education, including Accelerated education for the youth and disadvantaged groups who missed on education opportunities
· To lead, coordinate and implement community mobilization activities by applying various techniques to mobilize leaders from local communities (host, IDPs, youth, in Hamarweyne and Shibis districts of Banadir region
· Lead community mobilization approach design, development, and implementation in coordination with the respective district authorities, clan leaders, religious leaders and elders – District
· To monitor community mobilization activity performance in the field with reference to indicators including increased community awareness, increased enrolment of program target groups of children to programme supported centers
· To monitor and report the availability of the required items, printed materials and etc.
· Carryout Community outreach to develop relations in the targeted districts
· To provide regular updates and report to Program coordinator on the progress of implementation
Reporting and information sharing:
· Ensure the timely submission of the required reports to programme coordinator
· Ensure the attendance for community members, parents, local community leaders, and share the updates, action points and plans for the up-coming week.
· Ensure timely sharing of all the relevant information to the program coordinator.
· Ensure the required supplies are in place, distribution is done timely and relevant data is recorded
· Ensure that community mobilization is accordance with the work plans and the involvement of concerned stakeholders at all levels
· Ensure that SCI implements project activities in a most efficient, effective and sustainable manner
· Work closely and in harmony with colleagues in developing clear plans, workable monitoring system, baseline data and reporting systems
· Play proactive role in joint project planning, review, monitoring and evaluation activities.
· Under the guidance of the program coordinator, he or she ensures that education projects and components have robust monitoring plans, baselines, reviews and evaluations in line with project designs and donor guidelines, contracts and policies
· Organize, Participate and play proactive role in periodic project monitoring and implementation of actions, and recommendations and sharing reports, lessons and best practices.
· Ensure active involvement and participation of beneficiaries and relevant stakeholders including children in the process of project monitoring
· Ensure the participation of children/target groups in M&E based on Child rights programming principles and approaches
Representation and Advocacy
· Represent education team in relevant regional forums such as FE, teacher training and other working groups and other meetings as appropriate
· Work closely with other project staffs to develop and implement advocacy plans in education in line with the Country Strategic Plan and global strategy of Save the Children
· Play proactive role in national and global campaigns to advocate for increased children’s education in collaboration and networking with other actors in Somali
· Work with consortium members wherever applicable to further Save the Children’s mission for children
· Ensure linkage, synergy and harmonization of approaches and strategies with other sectors.
Team work and Self Development
· With the guidance of the program coordinator the community mobilizer understands and is able to adapt his/her roles and responsibilities in both emergency and development contexts
· Under the guidance of program coordinator explores opportunities for self-professional development
· Ensure and contribute for effective and supportive team work and culture among team members
· Familiarize with education policies and strategies, SC global strategies, EiE minimum standards, Etc.
· Play proactive role in sharing good practices, experiences with team members and SC staff
|COMPETENCIES AND BEHAVIOURS
DELIVERING RESULTS (SKILLED).
• Delivers timely and appropriate results using available resources
• Takes responsibility for their work and its impact on others
• Plans, prioritises and performs tasks well without needing direct supervision
• Understands the link between their work and the organisation’s objectives
PROBLEM SOLVING AND DECISION MAKING(SKILLED)
• Gathers the right information and uses critical thinking to make effective and timely decisions
• Stays with a problem or challenge until a solution is reached or no longer reasonably attainable
• Knows when to involve others in a decision
• Demonstrates awareness of the wider external influence that impact on decision making
• Simplifies processes and procedures wherever possible
INNOVATING AND ADAPTING(SKILLED):
• Suggests creative improvement and better ways of working
• Seeks out and applies successful ideas from others to overcome challenges
• Shifts tasks, roles and priorities to perform effectively under changing or unclear conditions
• Applies lessons learned to enhance future ways of working
WORKING EFFECTIVELY WITH OTHERS(Accomplished):
• Enables people from a wide range of backgrounds and perspectives to contribute to positive outcomes
• Breaks down silo working and challenges behaviours that are not collaborative
• Knows when to follow and when to lend leadership to strengthen other leaders
• Recognises when trust is broken and seeks to resolve conflict and re-establish trust
APPLYING TECHNICAL & PROFESSIONAL EXPERTISE(SKILLED)
• Delivers work that reflects a good knowledge and application of technical and professional standards
• Keeps up to date with trends in their work area
• Maintains ethical and professional behaviour in accordance with relevant codes of conduct
|QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and Somali
|CHILD SAFEGUARING POLICY:
Any employee, consultant, contractor or the supplier undertaking an activity on behalf of SCI must sign the Child Safeguarding – Declaration of Acceptance Form] and comply with the SCI’s Child Safeguarding Policy which is a statement of SCI’s commitment to preventing abuse and protecting children with whom it comes into contact.
This extends not only to children with whom SCI and its partners work directly, but also includes children whom staffs are responsible for. SCI believes that the situation of children must be improved through the promotion of their rights supported and demonstrated by all members of staff. Save the Children International’s Code of Conduct sets out the standards which all staff members must adhere to
|CODE OF CONDUCT
Because Save the Children’s work is based on deeply held values and principles, it is essential that our commitment to children’s rights and humanitarian principles is supported and demonstrated by all members of staff. Save the Children’s Code of Conduct sets out the standards which all staff members must adhere to
Declaration of commitment:
I …………… understand and agree to undertake my responsibility in accordance with the above listed accountabilities/activities and also abide the terms and conditions of the contract
Signature: ………………. Date: ………………
|Closing Date: 21st Jan 2020 Author: Education Programme Manager|
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Diploma or Bachelor degree in social science, development Studies, Education are preferable
- Knowledge of current national and international strategies on access, equity, and quality education policies and models
- Recommended a minimum of 2 years of relevant experience in similar position
- Experience of working with community, partners and staff
- Ability to write quality narrative donor report
- Good interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching
- Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mind-sets
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English and Somali
Sensitive to issues affecting children and committed to Save the Children’s Education policy
Please apply in English saving your CV and covering letter as a single document. To see a full a job description, please visit our website at www.savethechildren.net/jobs
Application will be close on 3rd Dec 2020.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. Employment is subject to our Child protection standards including background checks and adherence to our Child Safeguarding Policy
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified talent.
Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process and does not act through recruitment agents
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
3487 total views, 336 today