External Job Advert
Construction Officer Location: Dire Dawa (70% field Travel on Siti zone
The post holder will be tasked with facilitating and coordinating smooth operations which include Construction Activities. The post holder will also be responsible for ensuring proper Reporting, and coordination of all Construction Issues.
Job Specific Roles and responsibilities
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Visit and assess proposed construction sites in project areas and identify feasibility (Senior Infrastructure Specialist and concerned project stakeholders at the field and CO
- Supervision of construction projects to ensure compliance with specifications, agreed quality standards and planned work schedules.
- Ensure attendance on site for identified milestone (foundations, superstructure, concreting, formwork etc.) activities on the planned work schedule.
- Ensure that work orders (site book) instructed by the program manager from the FO are clearly communicated to the contractor.
- Timely communication of any claims by the contractor; ensuring records have been kept of potential causes for claims such as site activities (or non-activity), weather conditions, access problems etc.
- Timely communication of any engineering related issues on site; requiring Construction Coordinator presence/attendance.
- Prepare weekly site progress reports (with photographs of both good and bad quality issues) that accurately depict completed elements to accepted standards and estimate % completion of elements still in progress. These reports should be communicable to the SCI Construction Manager, Coordinators.
- Timely notification for upcoming payment milestones; relative to on-site progress/contract conditions to technical line managers at the field and CO (Program coordinator, Infrastructure Specialists or Head of ISS).
- Prepare draft technical design documents for newly proposed infrastructure facilities and make recommend to existing ones for relevant modifications, if required. And also ensure that the project plans, drawings or sketches are well understood by the implementation contractors/teams, provide implementation guidelines and give feedback as appropriate.
- Prepare revised design and Bill of Quantities (BOQ) for the newly proposed Constructions
- Assist the procurement team in outsourcing and contract administration for all the programme’s construction activities implemented by the programme under the field office threshold.
- Verify and process payment requests for construction works undertaken in the programme area by the FO.
- Establish a contract management database and keep updated record of progresses for individual project sites.
- Work closely with stakeholders to ensure that executed works are within agreed contract value, and also keep record of payables (interim payments, retentions and advances)
- Identify and organize procurement of locally available construction materials in close collaboration with the FO procurement team.
- Ensure effective and efficient use of all SC’s financial and material resources in order to keep costs to the lowest possible
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Qualified Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
|Minimum Qualification and Experience
- Skill requirement for construction supervisor
- Advanced Diploma or B.Sc. with 4 years for diploma holder and 2 years for B.Sc. in construction engineering or related technical field
- Should have experience on design and/or construction supervision of projects,
- Be able to communicate orally and using written reports,
- Be able to prepare good reports in English and Knowledge of Somali language is PLUS
- Be able to work outside working hours on site if the contractor is on duty, and
- Professional license is an added advantage.
- Excellent understanding and prior work experience with the pastoralist communities is advantageous
- Proficient in the use of MS Office, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and other relevant software;
- Must have excellent strong writing with excellent spoken and written English; Knowledge of Somali language is PLUS.
We offer a competitive package in the context of the sector. This role is offered on the basis of national terms and conditions only.
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realize the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive environment where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please attach a copy of your CV and cover letter with your application, and include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at www.savethechildren.net/careers.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.
Closing Date: Oct 15, 2021