Consultancy for the development of National Forestry Policy for Somalia – Nairobi, Kenya
- Job category: Consultancy
- Post date:7 Jul 2021
- Share job:
|Posting Title:||Consultancy for the development of National Forestry Policy for Somalia|
|Department/Office:||United Nations Environment Programme|
|Posting Period:||06 July 2021 – 14 July 2021|
|Job Opening Number:||21-United Nations Environment Programme-159079-Consultant|
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Result of Service
The National consultant should carry out detailed inquiry collecting relevant information and data through desk reviews noting the status of forest issues, gaps, opportunities and challenges; Conducting consultations and in-depth interviews with various Ministries, Departments and Agencies in the forest sector, civil society and non-governmental organizations (national) in the country. The consultant should include his inquiry but not be limited to situation analysis, goal objectives and guiding principles of sustainable forest management and use of natural resources, Forestry governance, Policies. Legal and institutional framework.
Work Location: SOMALIA
The consultancy is for a period of 3 months
Duties and Responsibilities
The United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. This position is in Mogadishu, Somalia under the Programme for Sustainable Charcoal Reduction and Alternative Livelihoods (PROSCAL) in Somalia and is for a period of 6 months.
Under the direct supervision of the Project Supervisor, Resilience to Disasters and Conflicts Sub-Programme, UNEP, Africa Office, the incumbent will undertake the following duties:
Duties and Responsibilities
The National consultant will carry out detailed inquiry collecting relevant information and data through desk reviews noting the status of forest issues, gaps, opportunities and challenges; Conducting consultations and in-depth interviews with various Ministries, Departments and Agencies in the forest sector, civil society and non-governmental organizations (national) in the country. The consultant should include his inquiry but not be limited to situation analysis, goal objectives and guiding principles of sustainable forest management and use of natural resources, Forestry governance, Policies. Legal and institutional framework.
Tasks to be carried out
• Review the existing Federal and state level of National Charcoal Policies, Conservation related strategies, policies and action plans to establish its inclusiveness and or exclusiveness in addressing emerging issues. Review of federal-state Environmental policies land tenure, forestry and wildlife policies in Somalia (Puntland and Somaliland).
• Review of the key elements of the existing reports such as Charcoal policy gaps analysis, Key Elements of charcoal policy report, Regional cooperation instrument, Transportation and Trade Policy of Somalia. Review of Charcoal related legal instruments with the view of determining their relationship with the envisaged National Charcoal Policy and strategy.
• Review of the neighbouring countries, IGAD and AU if there are any forest polices and strategy, implementation plan or legislation has been developed.
• Consultations with all relevant stakeholders through meetings, workshops and other appropriate forums as agreed, on the relationship between their related environmental institutions with National charcoal policy, Charcoal Policy Gap analysis and gather and incorporate their views on the draft of National Forest Policy with particular focus on harmonization, coordination and governance.
• Prepare a draft of National Forest policy and provide an implementation plan for the Policy.
• Carry out consultations and incorporating comments and feedback from Forest related institutions and stakeholders.
• Prepare final draft policy document containing all the relevant sections including but not limited to situation analysis, goal objectives and guiding principles, sustainable management and use of natural resources, forest protection strategies, governance, Research, Education and M&E
• Prepare presentations, facilitation guidelines and other tools for conducting workshops with the key line ministries, civil society organizations, academia, research organizations, representatives of agriculture communities, representatives of pastoral communities, organizations working on gender issues and media to collect the evidence on the extent of sensitization about Forest a and natural resource management and the general understanding of the cross-section of Somali society on the possible alternatives for reducing forest degradation and natural resource management.
• Make presentations on the deliverables to the Technical Reference Group and Project Committee.
• Validation of National Forest Policy: Provide support for the validation of the Final National Forest Policy with the representation of high officials from the key ministries of the Government.
Academic Qualifications: • The consultant should have a master’s degree in environmental law, Environmental Science, Natural Science, Natural Resources Management or in a related field( with the background experience of NRM).
• Proven experience in conducting policy and legal reviews within the natural resources sector.
• Previous research on the charcoal sector in Somalia or the Horn of Africa would be an advantage.
• Previous experience in NRM Governance in Somalia
• Proven experience in report writing and analytical skills
Experience: The consultant will need to have the following expertise
• Expertise and knowledge of forest and rangeland challenges in Somalia, with at least 10 years of proven experience in the field of Livestock Management/ Environment and climate change.
• Specialization in policy formulation, implementation and institutional capacities development with good comprehension about the main areas of project focus, i.e., Forest degradation, charcoal production and its impact, undertaking sectoral assessments with the environment and climate lens.
• Approaches for reforestation development, possible options on adaptation and mitigation, latest discussions and global agreements on sustainable development and forest decline with adaptation and mitigation in the context of Least Developed Countries or fragile States.
• Excellent English language communication skills (written and spoken) as well as computer literacy.
• Ability to analyze the root causes of the issues and come up with an implementable set of interventions in the context of Forest decline impacts in Somalia.
• Experience of working with multi-sectoral teams, sensitivity towards the opinions of the Stakeholders/team members, gender mainstreaming institutional partners and Somali communities.
• Strong presentation, writing and time management skills, the experience of effective interaction with policy makers, UN agencies, donors, communities, civil society organizations, private sector etc. and, the experience of formulating multi-dimensional projects.
• Ability to communicate in Somali and understand the culture.
Language: Strong written and spoken English and Somali language skills.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.
——- NAGUSOO BIIR — SOMALI JOBS————-
Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/somalijobs
Apply for this Job
- No Tags
1107 total views, 1 today